Microsoft Security Essentials detect&cure TDL3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Meriadoc, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

kernelmodedotinfo or here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That is very good. Thanks

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

for free, wow. It just keeps making it harder to justify paying for software.

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

MSE always did well on rootkits. But this is really quite a breakthrough: the first antivirus which can cure an the latest version in active mode. Only Hitman Pro and TDSSKiller and some other specific tools did the job.
    Microsoft is the bomb :D.

5. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

That's actually pretty impressive, in my humble opinion. On the other hand, would I be wrong if I guessed that the malware is just going to terminate MSE anyway, before it ever gets a chance at removal? I can't recall MSE's self-protection being too wonderful, and we can't really count LUA here, because the rootkit probably wouldn't have infected the system in the first place if the user was LUA.

6. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I agree, this is very impressive.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and I will bet leave no remnants behind. So for all of you that complain about sometimes slowness in opening something, tough. A free AV that can detect this rootkit and clean it. I would say top that.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Looking at AV Comparatives tests, and this I wonder why I use anything else? Whoever is developing MSE is obviously top notch.
    Regards,
    Jerry

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Since there are so many variants of TDL3 I don't see how you could bet w/ confidence that MSE will clean up every trace of the infections.

In my experience MSE on XP can become extremely sluggish. Vista and 7 do not seem to be affected as much. Let's not forget the update issues with MSE. IMO PCAV + HMP would be a more viable option.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, now that is true, but it is a solid showing. Looks like Dr Web and MSE will be the best at rootkits.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@Meriadoc

Thanks for posting :thumb:

EP_X0FF posted the info, and as he now works for Microsoft, i'm wondering if he was involved in coding the Defs for TDL. Or at least had a hand in doing so ? I wouldn't be surprised to learn he did ;)

@EliteKiller

It does say

So ? We'll soon know when people test it against them :D

More TDL/TDSS RK etc info in here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276152

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

MSE won the AV-C cleanup test, so this doesn't surprise me.

13. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Anyone care to expand on: "on XP can become extremely sluggish". Avast free is working fine but all the accolades for MSE here, plus the reg fix for the updates, had me tempted to install on the XP desktop. I'll wait until I read more about this. Thank You!

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I'll expand on it being run in XP or Win 7. It ain't happening on my setup. Once again for the fourth time, I assumed this version would be better. I made a snapshot, uninstalled Avast 5 and cleaned up left overs. I installed MSE's latest but it's the same ole thing. Massive CPU for both MSE processes plus an additional MSE process which runs every now then, cant remember what it was but it was something like mpmruncmd or other. I went through and added exclusions for other security app processes along with the Explorer.exe. I added the user and registry.pol along with recomended stuff in SoftwareDistribution. Re-booted with high CPU/Memory which lasts for about forty five minutes after startup. Granted that may not be very long but it makes everything else on the laptop way too slow during this time. Long story short, I rolled back to what I had previous.

15. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the heads up! If it ain't broke...I'll stay with A5!

16. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

MSE also detected some avast! leftover as adware.
    AvastMSE.PNG

17. elapsed

Avast quarantine files?

18. iravgupta

There were no quarantined files in avast!. It was just installed for a few hours for checking the performance of the latest build.

19. elapsed

If you can, disable MSE and restore the files from quarantine. Hit up https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Submission/Submit.aspx and upload the files, be sure to tick the "False Positive" box. Also give them a good description, "files from avast" or something but a little more detail.

20. iravgupta

Will do

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Those leftover files also appeared for me when testing Immunet. Avast unpacks files there to be scanned and deleted, but Immunet interferes and claims to detect it. Immunet itself can't scan packed files.

The Avast notification doesn't appear and those files became leftovers, which many on-demand scanners detect. Some kind of hooking conflict.

Now they've added the directory in Immunet's exclusions by default.

22. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

does mse have uninstaller,remover tool just in case?

23. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

in my PC MSE have a very small CPU usage, very small so maybe something is wrong in your set up

24. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Most likely some software at fault on your end. Runs smooth on two of my XP machines (32-bit) as well as three of my Win 7 machines (both 32-bit and x64). You are one of very, very few who experience this, which is something that could happen to anyone with any AV due to software issues.

25. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I also experienced the high CPU usage 45 min's after boot also, that was the one main reason that made me switch antivirus products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.