Phony Antivirus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by WilliamP, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

While on the internet, a screen popped up on my daughters computer saying that her computer had all these viruses. I'm not sure what she did, but now she has a problem. I went to her house and ran Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Hijackthis. Then I installed Avira and ran a scan. I got rid of a lot of junk but I'm not sure all is well. In Hijackthis it shows about 60 Host files that I can't get rid of. It says something to the effect that they can't be written to. Could there be a root kit?

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

find HOSTS file there.
    right click it and properties.
    uncheck read only. apply
    open it with notepad and replace everything written there with the ff:

Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost

close the notepad and save it. be sure to save and overwrite the HOSTS file.
    then place a check on read-only this time.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just curious - was she running a realtime AV solution when this happened??

4. WilliamP

I am almost positive she was. The computer she has is my wifes old computer and it had Avira on it. It was no longer on it so I re-loaded it.

5. Was it a current version with an up-to-date database?

(Thought to be brutally honest, I've heard rather a lot about how bad most AVs are against rogues.)

6. WilliamP

I'm not sure if was up to date or not. I do know that the same thing could have happened to my wife on her new computer, but she called me into the room. These are smart. They panic people into clicking on anything. My wifes new computer has Avira Premium up to date.

7. WilliamP

Konata,I tried what you said but when I unchecked read only it wouldn't allow.

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@WilliamP

Some software also locks the HOSTS file as read only for protection, ZoneAlarm being one So you would need to use the options to unlock it whilst you made any changes, not forgetting to lock it again.

10. siljaline

While you may restore your HOSTS File to default if the HOSTS file has been compromised, it is a definite sign of an infection which should be completely investigated per my previous post

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@siljaline

Agreed :thumb: Wasn't saying there could not be an infection, in fact it sounds like there is, just pointing out something that not everyone might be aware of, or possibly have forgotten ;)

12. WilliamP

Malwarebytes removed a bunch of trash. I have also ran Superantispyware and Avira. It is now clean with no pop ups. What else could lock the host files?

13. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

some legitimate apps? o_O

14. siljaline

List all of your installed security software, we will sift through each one and try to determine what has locked your HOSTS File.

There is a possibility that it is a leftover batch file from a previously used security app that has remained as a straggler, again, list your software other that resident MS Installed Programs and we will try to help you as best possible.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Why don't you install Unlocker and have a look instead of guessing? It can also unlock it BTW. :D

EDIT: Oh, and make sure it's really the one that your OS is actually using, otherwise all your effort is futile wrt editing that file.

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  16. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I know its an old program but IIRC Spybot Search and Destroy lets you lock your host file as read only and SpywareBlaster lets you do back ups of your host file. :D

17. WilliamP

I am not sure what to do. There is no longer any problems with her computer. I just wanted to get rid of the 62 host files that show up in a Hijackthis scan. With my computers host files don't show up. I don't understand. The entries are listed under 01 ,which I have found out is [Hijack of auto.search.msn.com with Hosts files].

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I already told you the registry location where to check..

19. WilliamP

Thank you. I will fix it the next time I'm at her house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.