New leader at Matousec

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dragons Forever, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

D+ isn't all that bad as a classic HIPS. It is *fair-to-middling* in my opinion (IMO). But ProSecurity (PS) was far FAR superior to D+.

Why do I mention PS? I do so because Comodo hired Jei, the genius-proponent of PS. But Comodo evidently did not want to buy PS itself. I can only guess as to WHY Comodo didn't want PS. MY guess -- the owner of Comodo only likes stuff "made in his shop". So they wanted PS gone, but didn't want PS itself.

On a scale of 10 (10 being best), IMO D+ is a 7 whereas PS was a 9.5. So Comodo succeeded in bringing about the demise of a competing product, namely PS, that was far superior to Comodo's own D+. Comodo also succeeded in burying a programming star (Jei) in that bureaucratic mess called Comodo, which already has regurgitated their former employee K. McAleavey, another great programmer (of BOClean reknown).

Be that as it may, CIS is a fair-to-middling suite, & D+ is an okay HIPS. It's free. It's kept fairly well up-to-date. It would be shooting oneself in the foot to avoid CIS simply because Comodo's *company persona* is a tad displeasing to one's sensibilities.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. - In case you haven't noticed, I limp badly due to old bullet wounds in both of my feet. Figuratively speaking, of course. :cool:

2. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I do not agree with above. If you put D+ in paranoid mode, you would have more or less same coverage with Malware Defender, with the advantage of a better firewall. In my opinion Comodo HIPS is top notch although the interface sucks.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you put Comodo into paranoid mode you'll drive all but the most masochistic computer hobbyists and experts to tears and twitching. Comodo has the ability to be great, I'll give them that, but, as you said, the interface is horrid. Pop-ups are still not there yet as far as giving out information in more simplified terms for those who want that protection, but can't be arsed to spend months or more studying computer security and the deepest bowels of the OS. As to a previous post of yours, in my experience Comodo does NOT remember answers. I ended up holding Comodo's hand far more than it ever helped me with security.

4. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

comodo's D+ is what I call a dumb HIPS - it will ask question - you answer it and tick remember my answer - the next time you will be prompted again by the very same question it asked you before.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I think exactly the same.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice, good results for Comodo :rolleyes:

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Matousec has to find a way to "disengage" from its top scorers.

8. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I really doubt that, but I will check it.

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My experience of Comodo is that it does remember answers but sometimes gives the impression that it hasn't due to the granular level at which D+ works.

As an example, if a program tries to modify a number of protected registry keys, multiple prompts of the same type will occur, which could appear that D+ isn't remembering the answers. An examination of the custom policy being built up for the application though would show that each protected registry key has been individually recorded under the Allowed Registry Keys or Blocked Registry Keys tabs, depending on how the prompts were answered.

I have never seen Comodo ask exactly the same question twice, although I accept that other peoples experience with it may differ.

10. blacknight

I've been used CIS since summer 2008 and I never had this issue.

11. adik1337

well good for you then ... keep on using CIS .. it's your computer anyway not mine :D

12. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I'm using it since it was only a firewall. I'm perfect fine with it and it comes like a glove to me. It's deadly silent, it remembers what I tell him, for me is just the perfect free solution. But I'm not a security freak nor I have top secret NSA files on my computer so if CIS is bypassed I'm not afraid to use CTM or if even CTM fails I'm not afraid to use a previous Windows HDD image. :D

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I think comodo's D+ should be like nortons firewall...it should whitelist known and important applications itself and only ask d user if its not a known application

14. guest

guest Guest

D+ already have 2 whitelist technologies
    My own safe files
    My trusted software vendors: Comodo adds each version more and more certified vendors and you can also add vendors to the list.

15. blacknight

Sure, it's mine. And in fact it works very fine. Never had a malware, trojan, rootkit... before and after using CIS. :cool: :D

16. bellgamin

I use mosquito repellent, and although I have spent MUCH time camping in the Florida Everglades, I have never been bitten by a snake. Conclusion: Using mosquito repellent prevents snake bites. :) ;) :D :blink:

17. adik1337

make sense :D :thumb:

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yes, that's it :)

19. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

adik1337, I think you maybe right. After two days testing it does seem that it forgets some of the rules of D+

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

No wonder... If you browse your registry and export the Comodo configuration branch stored there, you'll see how huge it is. Extremely prone to corruption and also heavy on resource after extended usage when changing/updating/creating new rules.

21. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

In logic class, this kind of bad reasoning is called "Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc."

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Mhh, find it hard to understand whether this is a "cliffie" or that you are telling Bellgamin that Blacknight made a Pre Post Hoc (before and after CIS ;) ) remark in the first place.

Wikee:D pedia
    A 'Cliffie' = providing extra information on a subject while missing the point the speaker is trying to make (as often illustrated by Cliff Clavin, proud postman and regular visitor of the TV series Cheers).

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  23. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

That list looks like someone is being paid. What happen to MSE not even on the list. I staying with software that found stuff nothing else found like hidden stuff and was able to remove it. I run ASCP which is enough for the littles stuff. People contact me everyday asking why they're getting white screen in desktop. I say just download and run ASCF. They do hand it finds and remove the crap.

FW -7 and UAC plus MSE 32-bit or 64-bit along with Google Chrome and that's it. Not going hose the system with so much crap.

24. bellgamin

But Wilders isn't a logic class.

P.S. Latin designation for those making gratuitous comments in Latin: Caput vacans :cool:

25. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Gonna make a step to trust Comodo when they get some skills in windows API programming - GUI, the next one when they stop selling licenses to malwares, when they learn about Windows enough to disable windows firewall on setup... etc. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.