PCMag review of CIS 4.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by smage, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

Does this concern anyone else? If the installer launches the app, wouldn't you rather have the app sandboxed first time? I suppose the writer could write "bad things" into the installer also and bypass the sandbox, but I still think the app itself should be run in the sandbox when launched by the installer. If it doesn't sandbox then, what is the point of sandboxing on later executions? If the user doesn't mind the app running out of the sandbox when first run, why would the user want the app run in the sandbox afterwards?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's branded "Hop Surf" which includes an option to "rate" websites, but it's the Ask.com search engine and as usual it's Opt-Out. Creating toolbars with different names and slightly different looks appears to be the latest strategy of Ask.com to infiltrate the browser.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, I also noticed that. I'm surprised the reviewer didn't jump on it as it seems like a serious flaw.

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

In fairness all HIPS are chatty Outpost, OA, CIS all shower you with pop-ups. However, by what I've been reading only Comodo HIPS has been called dumb. I think this is quite biased. So far Comodo HIPS is on top at Matousec.

Thanks.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

and that proves absolutely nothing...

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Comodo is VERY GOOOOOOD as long as you understand the pop ups (Because they're not as detailed as other ones)

Others are a little more specific when malware behavior is detected :)

7. CogitoTesting

I was not trying to prove anything. Why single out Comodo HIPS while all HIPS are of the same nature. Outpost: click, click, click, OA: block, block, block; Comodo: Allow, Allow, Allow; All of them give you tons of pop-ups. All of them depend on the user knowledge. The bias here is obvious.

Thanks.

8. CogitoTesting

I beg to differ since I tested CIS in the past. It does not give an extensive description on everything, sure. I never expected that since the programmers did not intend to write a romance novel on pop-ups. CIS description is succint with all the pertinent information for the prospective user to use in order to make his or her decision.

I've never witness such a passion to despise a software like Comodo. I do not think it is healthy to continue such level of hatred, it is not healthy. Please people calm down, do not raise your blood pressure. Be healthy.

Thanks.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nothing to do with high blood pressure:D the program currently sucks big time :thumbd: that's it:D just been honest here and my blood is good:D

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

actually its really vague, it shows u the name of the file, and something like its trying to inject into memory etc. and again a completely vague description thats the same for nearly every alert. take a look at the alerts u get from OA to see a program that gives u details on what is happening, no drama involved that u seem to think, its called informing the user properly of what ther being alerted to and id say thats pretty dam vital.

and to u previous statement, im just pointing out how u use comodo being the top of matousec as some sort of proof or justification which is what im laughing about.

11. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

not all HIPS are the same .... there are dumb HIPS, not so dumb HIPS and a good HIPS ... I am giving you the option where to categorize comodo's HIPS *puppy*

12. ratwing

ratwing Guest

One way that Comodo differs from other HIP's,is with almost any other,
    once you have Hit "remember" enough,and the program learns your system,
    things quieten down,other then for new events.

Comodo on the other hand cant seem to remember user decisions.

It is not about hating Comodo.
    My wife accuses me of hating dogs.

I don't hate them,I just don't like them.
    To a passionate dog fancier I guess that looks like hate.

same with Comodo

rat

13. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Pretty good comparison to be honest. :D I personally haven't had problems with COMODO when it comes to remembering my answers.

14. raven211

I'd take an easier approach... you run something good (you know it's good), you allow it. You run something unknown, you read some till you get what it's about - you make a choice. You know it comes from a dangerous site/you know it can only be malware, you block it. Piece of cake... and yes, I'd like one. :D

15. raven211

To be honest, I stopped caring about anything he says that's similar to this. He likes to pick on everything that can be the slightest of bad, and sometimes it feels like he's thinking: "I gotta find something... damnit! I'll take this to be sure I get one thing to... blame..." - UNLESS it's Norton of course. Then he lifts all slightest of good to the skies. :cautious:

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

OA & Outpost (OP) are not all that chatty.

As to OA (for example) - - - When you first install OA it gives you the option to accept all already-installed stuff as trusted. It also has a very effective "Learning Mode". Thus, my granddaughter (age 10) thought OA was TOO quiet after she installed it on her computer.

Further, both OA & OP give you very informative information & choices when they do pop-up an alert.

Of course, ALL classic HIPS tend to get very chatty when you install a new software. Putting the HIPS into "learning mode" will near-totally eliminate pop-ups during the install process. Both OA & OP have learning modes. CIS also has a learning mode as I remember (I haven't run it in quite a while). However, "learning mode" is the achilles heel of a HIPS when you are installing new software of unproven trustworthiness and stability.

OA gives you the 1-click option of putting a new install in Run Safer mode (LUA), which provides a fairly high degree of protection when installing new apps of unknown trustworthiness.

I'm not sure as to what protections OP or CIS offer during the install process other than to abstain from learning mode &, hence, to deal with a plethora of alerts. I recommended to OP that they add a Run Safer equivalent but I do not know if their current beta adds this function. I certainly hope so.

17. CogitoTesting

Wow, once again the bias here is obvious. Have you ever heard of "Learning Mode" and "Clean PC Mode" and do you know what they do? I also tested OA it gives as well tons of alerts; so what's your point beside your obvious bias? Anyway...

Thanks.

18. CogitoTesting

Hi Ilya

I do understand your criticism since you have a financial stake in all of this.

Thanks.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In the area of HIPS I own non-free licences for OP, OA, DW, & ZA. I have used all of them at one time or another. I am presently using OA on my main desktop, as is my graddaughter on her laptop. I have OP on a second image that I haven't used in a while inasmuch as Agnitum foklks are beta-testing a new version of OP, & I lack time to participate. ZA is what I now have installed on several computers throughout 3 classrooms. Most of those classroom computers do not use HIPS, however, because they are on DeepFreeze. I have used CIS in the past but not in the past several months.

I am biased toward free & open discussion without resorting to personal insults. I have no bias toward any of the HIPS softwares I own. Otherwise I wouldn't own so many licenses.

What I said about OA is factual, & I can go into more detail on OA because I am looking right at it on my desktop at this moment. Seriously, if you trust what's on your computer when you install OA, it will NOT give you all that many pop-ups. So says my granddaughter. So says me.

You addressed the issue of pop-ups in a civil manner. I answered you in civil manner, and as factually as possible. I am not product-biased. Neither is my granddaughter. Ilya is a bit biased, of course -- he would be a poor programmer if he didn't have a lot of confidence in his own software. Even so, Ilya's replies are generally well-balanced and quite helpful. He is very much an expert in his field & a real asset to this forum.

20. CogitoTesting

In all fairness again CIS does not give me also that many pop-ups, at least no less nor more than OA.

Thanks.

21. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I've noticed here on wilders, that it's pretty common to bash Comodo and Norton products.
    It's like a race who will post more posts saying how bad these products are.

Hmmmm ... I wonder ...

22. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Has anyone noticed that any tests that praise CIS are ignored by users other than Comodo? The tests that praise CIS "prove nothing". However, the tests that find fault with CIS are read and commented with glee by naysayers. o_O

CAV's detection is approaching the big boys and as far as the cleaning aspect, if it can't get in it don't need cleaning. Be that as it may, the cleaning aspect will be addressed in 4.1 by what I understand. You can keep paying to protect your PC, I'll keep mine protected with CIS for FREE.

Now, back to ignoring the good and taking the bad as gospel.:rolleyes:

23. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Likewise,the tests that show the shortcomings of Comodo are ridiculed and a dismissed by the Comodo faithful.

Watasha,I have lurked on the Comodo Forums long enough to see you are no
    Melih sycophant/fanboy.

You speak your mind there.

Why should you care if others speak their mind about Comodo here?

Is it a case of: "Well Family can talk about family,but damn if outsiders will be allowed too?"

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Could we keep the discussion centered more on the review and the product and less on the various personalities out there?

Thanks in advance.

Blue

25. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

... but is advised (among other things) for personal PCs, right? I could understand why port stealthing is not essential for servers but i always thought it's a good thing for desktop users. Besides, it's grounded among people as a determinant of a good firewall, so in a sense - product with no stealthing capability could be received as 'dud'.

Anyway, to make things short - since i don't want to create massive off-topic - would it be possible to point me some good reading about that ? I want to know why you're right :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.