5 Popular Firewalls - Efficiency Test

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Creer, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Below you will find results and methodology of my tests:

Tested: 5 popular firewalls:
    Online Armor v4.0.0.44 (Firewall with HIPS) (link to test #1)
    DefenseWall Personal Firewall v3.00 (Firewall with HIPS) (link to test #2)
    Comodo (CIS) v4.0.141842.828 (without AV module) (Firewall with HIPS) (link to test #3)
    PC Tools Firewall Plus v6.0.0.88 (Firewall with HIPS) (link to test #4)
    Look 'n' Stop v2.07 (Pure Firewall) (link to test #5)

Additional tests:
    Outpost Firewall Pro v7.0 (bulid: 3330.505.1221 - beta) (Firewall with HIPS) (link to test #24)
    ZoneAlarm v9.1.007 (Pure Firewall) - unable to test, BSOD after installation.

Test machine: Windows 7 HP x32 (2GB RAM, CPU: 2x2.6 GHz) with updates from image backup as a baseline for the next tests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Online Armor v4.0.0.44 (Firewall with HIPS)

1) Test no.1: resource usage during web browsing (Opera as a main browser and open simultaneously ~15 tabs with different content - two sites with flash animation) Results below:

Online Armor (Web Shield enabled):
    waiting for re-test

Online Armor (Web Shield disabled):
    waiting for re-test

2) Test no.2: resource usage during CNN TV-streaming in Windows Media Player 12:
    waiting for re-test

3) Test no.3: resource usage during uTorrent activity - downloaded one of the Linux distro (Ubuntu) for test purposes:
    waiting for re-test

4) Resource usage in Windows Task Manager - CPU Time, during all these tests:
    waiting for re-test

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

2. DefenseWall Personal Firewall v3.00 (Firewall with HIPS)

1) Test no.1: resource usage during web browsing (Opera as a main browser and open simultaneously ~15 tabs with different content - two sites with flash animation) Results below:
    waiting for re-test

2) Test no.2: resource usage during CNN TV-streaming in Windows Media Player 12:
    waiting for re-test

3) Test no.3: resource usage during uTorrent activity - downloaded one of the Linux distro (Ubuntu) for test purposes:
    waiting for re-test

waiting for re-test

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

3. Comodo (CIS) v4.0.141842.828 (without AV module) (Firewall with HIPS)

comodo_webbrowsing.png

comodo_streaming.png

comodo_torrent.png

comodo_wtm.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

4. PC Tools Firewall Plus v6.0.0.88 (Firewall with HIPS)

pctools_browsing.png

pctools_streaming.png

pctools_torrent.png

wtm_pctools.png

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

5. Look 'n' Stop v2.07 (pure firewall, No HIPS)

lns_browsing.png
    Note: SPI was enabled in L'n'S options (by default this feature is disabled)

lns_streaming.png

lns_torrent.png

wtm_lns.png

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Ok that's all I hope you like it ;)

As you can see almost every firewall is different for system resources, I hope that my tests will be helpful for those who are looking for a strong&light software firewall at the same time.

Creer.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nice one! Thanks. A good job.
    An obvious question, to me at least, would you consider doing similar for other FWs out there?

8. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

Very interesting report, I´m gonna try DefenseWall.
    Thanks so much!

9. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

I wonder how much of a difference it would be if logging was disabled.

10. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Grrreat tests Creer. Thanks!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In making comparisons, bear in mind that OA & Comodo & DW are firewalls + HIPS whereas...

1- LnS is a firewall only (no HIPs)

2- PCTools is a firewall that has been patched so as to score well on Matousec's silly tests. It does not, by any means, have a full-fledged HIPS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+1 to hayc59's request to test Outpost.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To make OA similar to other FW+HIPS you tested,. I suggest you disable (uncheck) its Mail Shield & Web Shield options. You can access those options by right-clicking OA's system tray icon.

12. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i was surprised that free OA is light,despite sys requirements says it needs 512 ram.
    i tested 3 days ago.

13. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Good to see someone spend their time on this . Apparently meaningful to most . Useless to me . Not bashing because it is great someone would take the time to do this . I however ; do not see the point trying to be made . And these so called tests ( of what I do not know ) have not made me even think about a change in my arsenal . Sorry guys . Just someone here in the minority stating an opinion . As bad as that opinion may be perceived .:rolleyes: PLEASE do not think I am being argumentative . I am not . It just does nothing for me .

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice test, all seems to be light for a modern computer actually :D
    With this i mean computers with 2gb+ ram and a avg. CPU

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Overview graphs/tables please :D

16. fax

fax Registered Member

17. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

LnS looks like a keeper.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

What about Windows 7 Firewall?

Thanks

19. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

It would be hard to measure Windows FW simply because its built into the OS. You wont know whats causing the spike in resources.

20. Sariel Fallen

Sariel Fallen Registered Member

Hi All
    @ Creer :thumb:
    _____
    I'm using the Filseclab, it's easy to handle with the ability to adjust the filter in many ways and the RAM-usage is not to high.
    For me it's great :D - any other experiences ?
    Regards

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You are right... :)

22. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Indeed I did test for OA with Web Shield enabled and disabled. I forgot mention that in both cases Mail Shield was disabled.

23. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I tried to install ZA Free v9.1.007, but no success - after installation I got BSOD on my machine, also I was unable to install beta since there is needed registration to access to beta-zone :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  24. Creer

Creer Registered Member

6. Outpost Firewall Pro v7.0 (bulid: 3330.505.1221 - beta) (Firewall with HIPS)

outpost_browsing.png

outpost_streaming.png

outpost_torrent.png

wtm_outpost.png

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi All

First, Creer, please don't take this personally.

People here at Wilders seem to have fallen in love with testing. I have no doubt his tests may be valid, for his machine, with his OS, his router, and his ISP. Also might well be a function his whether it's cable, DSL or whatever. So for him it's very valid.

BUT for anyone else to use the tests as a way judging the Efficiency of a particular firewall, I would have to say I have some huge doubts.

I think the only way one can judge any software is to test it on there setup.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.