Avira 10 launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Software Modifying Post. Please read this Post and if any link to that software is posted again, this thread will close.

JR

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Why even bother?... seriously. If they're willing to do this, what else are they willing to do? Later on down the road they might get something to replace avnotify, as people are catching on to it, then it's back to square one again. It's just not worth it. I won't put any software on my computer that I don't trust, and when it comes to software that needs special privileges (i.e. set hooks), then that applies tenfold.

Do yourself a favor and find something you can trust.

3. luciddream

Absolutely! That person is doing a great service to his fellow security enthusiast. Without people like that around to keep these companies honest, they would take advantage of us at every opportunity.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

OK, we got the "explanations" now... OK, the guys seriously are not worth wasting any more time. Caveat emptor. I personally will avoid them like plague.
    :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Attached Files:

5. doktornotor

Attached Files:

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Are we allowed to post the registry edit to disable the nag or the part where you can do this in Windows without modifying the program at all? You just restrict it with built in Windows functions?

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Whitedragon551,

Thanks for asking.

We're not in the business of parsing the legal nuances of EULA's and so on. However, we do strongly favor respecting the rights and wishes of others resident on the internet. That includes a number of distinct populations, including product vendors.

We request that, moving forward, everyone should please refrain from sidetracking technical discussion threads with side excursions on how to disable/subvert/remove measures that vendors employ as an enticement to purchase paid versions of a program.

If that's a game that anyone wishes to play, then fine, just play it elsewhere.

Blue

PS - a handful of off-topic posts removed.

8. luciddream

The way I see it, if you have to go trying to crack a software to plug holes/patch exploits, you shouldn't have it on your computer to begin with. I figured out a way to disable the nag screen, stop the unsolicited outbound connections and get hourly updates with the personal version all without cracking the software, using SRP or implementing the tweak whitedragon was eluding to. A simple HIPS rule or two and the "scheduler" within the Avira interface is all that is needed.

No matter, it's just not worth it. And if somebody did ask me how I would encourage them to use another product instead of telling them. Pro-active measures are always better than reactive. Don't let it become a problem in the first place, and there's no need to fix it. Simple and effective logic.

9. whitedragon551

The tweak Im referring to is absolutely nothing to do with exploits, holes, or cracking anything. Its a simple command within Windows that disables it and can be done without a HIPs, Firewall, or other software.

If it annoys people that badly they can google the answer. It doesnt cripple the software in anyway or prevent it from getting updates any slower or more frequently than they would anyways.

10. luciddream

Never said it did, and I'm pretty sure I know what you're eluding to.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi again fellow Avira users (after a short vacations :cool:)

In my experience, the only "issue" that I found with v.10 is the alert message that rarely appears when you have an USB device plugged in to the PC. Although I know that there's a setting within the program's advance configuration which prevents the autostart functions of usb sticks and such, I prefer myself to wait for the Avira developers to improve this feature, so in the meantime I'll keep this setting enabled.

On the other hand, for this v.10, this is the first time I didn't need to modify any settings at all after installation, from the default configuration. I think that devs did a perfect job on it :thumb:

Have a good day folks

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is certainly refreshing to have someone stating some positive things about Avira. I also agree there aren't any serious flaws to new version even though I can understand people complaining of not having the choice to remain with version 9 for a bit longer (the whole issue is still debatable as some managed to stay with V9).

As for the conspiracy theories behind the free version and avnotify, it is disgraceful how some people have turned this thread into a slander bout against a very respectful company.

If Avira ends up losing these kind of "customers", it is perhaps a good loss.

13. n00bliscious

n00bliscious Registered Member

Yeah, who's to care when Avira pops up every once so often to give us some sweet love!!

14. luciddream

There is certainly disgrace in this equation, but we will just have to respectfully disagree on where it lies.

Some of this has gone over the top, no question about it, but people should never stop asking the hard questions. There has to be some system of checks and balances to keep the status quo honest. It's a good thing that people are bringing these issues to the attention of people who care about such things. I would think that such discussion would be encouraged at a place like this, provided that the sniping is kept to a bare minimum. That first paragraph was my last "shot", I promise, it was just too tempting to pass up.

The reason people are making such wild speculation is because that's all they can do, as nobody from Avira has provided a plausible answer. Until/if somebody does, the speculation will continue, and rightfully so IMO.

I do think that we should stick to the X's & O's though, and scrap the personal attacks.

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I don't want to hijack the thread but has anybody noticed that avira has not updated their virus definitions for two days now.

16. whitedragon551

Last update for me was April 11th which is today. Atleast in my time zone its today.

17. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hi,

Avira will show the date the programme actually last checked for an update, but the last VDF update was on Friday.

Last update VDF file 7.10.06.55 Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:23 (GMT+2)

If you have a look at the VDF update history in the link below, you will see that there is very little updates on a sunday, if any.

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have been beating the heck out of version 10 all day today on 4 computers. Two 32 bit and two 64 bit. . Even let my 2 teens go at it tonight, heh-heh. The frigging version has worked flawlessly. Actually it is quicker with web scanning then anything I have used of late. My son got it to grab some stuff where he ventured, dont ask, and both said their laptops are much faster. Short test? Yes. Extensive test? Yep, if you know my family.;) I maxed out pretty much in most settings except Integrity checking, optimize scan, and follow symbolic links, until someone says to use them. I enabled block suspious I-frames in web guard. In version 9, this caused a slow down which is not there in version 10.

Their 2 laptops are 32 bit so have the proactive module which I honestly cant report on at this point. Updating has worked. There may be some issues, "who doesnt have them" but for me, this product, and avatar,;) are a keeper. Very good product.:thumb:

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

doubtful.....lol

20. doktornotor

LMAO... So, it's been G-Data, Kaspersky and Avira in one week... probably missed one or two. :D

21. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I think Avast was briefly in the mix also...:D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well Trjam, considering myself an avira fanatic, I hope this time you stick with this product for good once for all :D

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

cant argue your points on that one, but I started with Avira, and just maybe, will finish with Avira.;)

24. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Finish, you mean you are contemplating to go av free? :)

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no I use the suite.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.