Should I take Prevx on board again?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pegas, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi folks and Joe :-D,
    I have been off quite for a while. If I am correct, my last version of Prevx I used was 3.0.5.23. Meantime I kicked out ESET Smart Security and put on Norton Internet Security 2010 (company decision), btw much better than ESS. Before switch to NIS I uninstalled Prevx and I am with NIS only presently. However I like Prevx and I am pondering to take it back on board but before I would like to know:
    1) Can Prevx co-exist with NIS2010 nicely without interactions?
    2) How can Prevx reinforce my security? Is there any area where Prevx complement NIS?

Joe, can I have specific questions?
    You may recall we have had certain remote sessions trying to solve a few problems I was suffering then. Namely IE8 crashes, Opera incompatibility, faulty touch pad, print screen problems and maybe others which I don't recall now. You obviously did a big leap from .23 to improve Prevx as much as possible. Your ability to be constantly improving Prevx is paramount and you set a benchmark for all others hardly to reach. However, now with version .74, were already all described hitches resolved? You know, if taking Prevx back, I want to avoid the same problems which were annoying me. Yeah, you can simply say ... just try the latest Prevx and will see ... but you spent a decent time on my computer in the past and now I would like to save your precious time ;-).

Thx,
    pegas

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Pegas, I’m curious: have you found that Norton Internet Security 2010 (NIS10) provides insufficient protection against malware in your corporate environment? Obviously, any additional layered security solution (e.g., Prevx) will be an enhancement -- but, to what extent have you observed an actual need for a supplement to NIS10?

Thank you.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I can honestly say that all of the problems have been resolved - except - for print screen, as that isn't a problem, but a feature :) Yes, I know I sound like a politician there, but SafeOnline intentionally blocks screen capture :D You may wish to configure it down from Maximum to High protection to allow screen captures to take place.

Other than that, build 74 is significantly better than build 23 :)

Let me know how it goes for you!

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thx for your input. I don't think NIS gives me insufficient protection, in addition I am trying to keep safe habits when going online on a net. However I simply like Prevx and I was used to use it in the past. Moreover I have still 8 month of valid license. I don't feel a need for a security enhancement though if Prevx can offer any to supplement NIS, it would be perfect. I have only one concern - avoid any potential clashes between the both.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thx Joe for kind words. I will give it a try soon and will revert with result. However one additional question ... should I install beta release if I want to get automatically updated to next betas or do you recommend to rather install live version to be on the safe side? I recall that Prevx betas were very stable releases.

6. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I have been running Prevx3.0 and NIS2010 for several months without any issues. However, when I added SafeOnline (paid) to Prevx3.0 I found some problems with slow loading web pages. Also I misunderstood what SafeOnline was for, NIS appears better in warning about 'unsafe' sites than SafeOnline, which appears to be more about verification of IP addresses. I have uninstalled Prevx for the time being and am just running with NIS2010 at the moment. Might reinstall Prevx later if I can exclude SafeOnline from the setup but not sure if I can do that as my licence key probably turns the whole thing on?......... o_O

7. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

If you click configure next to "SafeOnline Browser Security" on the main page of the gui you will find a big OFF button at the top. Click that if you want PrevX without SafeOnline. :D

8. PrevxHelp

We do try and make our beta releases up to a "Release Candidate" level of stability so you shouldn't have any problem running them instead of the live releases (and I suspect you'll be notified of both either way from everyone here at Wilders :))

9. PrevxHelp

We've fixed a number of areas of compatibility in some of the more recent versions of SafeOnline - could you try this once again with NIS and see if it improves at all?

And for what it's worth, SafeOnline is far more than just the verification of IP addresses ;) SafeOnline provides full protection against unknown threats trying to log keystrokes, steal screen contents, or harvest user credentials in any other manner - it is a strong layer of protection which boosts up your existing AV/antimalware program in case it doesn't find every threat on your PC, allowing you to surf online with a much higher degree of confidence.

URL blocking/IP filtering/etc. is an added feature on top of it, but the core goal of SafeOnline is to protect your online credentials.

10. JBob555

JBob555 Registered Member

Just wondering if there is any more feedback on using Prevx Safeonline and Norton Safe Web together? Pegas, are you still using both? Does using both decrease the efficency of either? Thanks.

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I'm using Safe Online along with NIS 2010 for a couple of weeks now and I have found no problem at all (Firefox 3.6).

The last Release Candidate came with some compatibility improvements for NIS and I did notice faster boot times in my computer.

12. JBob555

The reason I ask is because on the Symantec forum they said that if I am running NIS 2010 in realtime, which of course I am, then I shouldn't run another security software in real time. It may actually cause NIS to miss a threat.

13. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

pegas, I'm curious as to why you are using NIS in a corporate environment and not Symantec's business products? :)

14. PrevxHelp

Prevx is fully compatible with NIS 2010 and we've designed it in such a way that it will not cause NIS to miss a threat :)

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

You probably meant this thread, didn't you?
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Prevx-3-0-and-NIS-2010/td-p/214004

Joe, it would be wise to comment upon the thread on the Norton forum because the thread sounds negatively towards Prevx and all possible future users of Prevx will rather move aside after reading this.

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

My company implements actually Symantec's end point solution. In my company all laptops are equipped with NIS, only desktops will be running the end point solutions.

17. PrevxHelp

I strongly doubt it would cause any negative interaction within NIS by leaving Prevx installed/active. We have literally tens of thousands of users who are using NIS + Prevx without any problem - the "Unauthorized access logged" message is merely an indicator that Prevx is accessing its files, and is not indicative of any problem.

I may register on the Norton forum, but I don't know how much of a voice I'd end up having at this point. It would probably be best to have users redirected over here for Prevx + X AV related questions :)

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

The posts at Symantec forums regarding Prevx sound to me as regular disclaimers, nothing more. It's natural that they don't guarantee a thirth party's product, they would be really imprudent to do so.

If Symantec had a single evidence that Prevx interferes negatively with their products they would state this clearly, I have no doubt about that.

19. JBob555

20. PrevxHelp

21. JBob555

Thanks for the super quick response. Maybe I'll give Prevx another try.

22. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Give it another go. Prevx is excellent with support and will get you fixed up asap.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi Joe,
    I have got RC .104 installed. However I am disappointed from integration of SafeOnline into new Opera 10.51. Whatever web page I visit Prevx icon gets only blue with unknown status, regardless if it is HTTP or HTTPS site. In IE8 SafeOnline works how it is supposed. The main reason I installed Prevx was its SafeOnline. I wanted to enhance safety of Opera browser because Norton Safe Web doesn't work in Opera.
    It wasn't successful return to Prevx :oops:
    Can you something do?
    Thx,
    pegas

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

The Norton threads wont load for me :'(

25. blackcobra

blackcobra Registered Member

One question ..... we have NIS in our Office with 70 developers and is going to expire in a month....I recommended Outpost with Prevex..
    Is this combination enough. or do i need seperate AV coupled with Norton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.