Incremental file backup scripts - again

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mike456, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike456

mike456 Registered Member

Hi,

A while ago I posted here problems creating scripts to perform file backups. I'm still struggling with this.

I am trying to create scripts to automnate weekly file-level backups and daily incremental backups. Ideally with a two or three week cycle.

The scripts that are created by the Wizard have to be edited to run at all: the syntax uses <E> ... </E> for excluded filetypes, which doesn't seem to be supported.

I want to exclude a certain directory; instead I end up having to include the ones I want and remember to update this list when I add new directories.

My latest daily incremental script fails with a dialog box "Scripts Interpretator" with the message "Can't open/create file". THIS IS A USELESS MESSAGE. What file? Is it open? or create? What do I do next?

Also, I can find no useful log file.

IMO setting a file-level backup scheme shoudl be a basic feature of the tool. Acronis does it. But I've paid for Paragon (twice) and I don't want to shell out more cash.

Please can I have a fool-proof step-by-step recipe?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Danno210

Danno210 Registered Member

One of my customers began having this problem last Thursday (02/18/10) on both of their networked PCs that I had installed Paragon's backup software on a few months ago. One of the machines has also simultaneously slowed to a crawl. The other runs normally. Makes me wonder if an automatic Windows update triggered this issue with the Paragon backup software, since both machines started doing it at once, and now neither can see the network yet the one machine running at normal speed can print to network printers and the other cannot. o_O

The word "interpretator" gave me pause as a red flag to potential virus activity since the brilliant portion of our population that codes viruses are also notoriously bad spellers. Both machines came up clean, save for some negligible cookies.

If I find a resolution, I will post it here.

Cheers!
    db

3. iantemple

iantemple Registered Member

this is the only thread i could find on incremental backups. everyone here sounds like a pro, so if that's true, forgive my lack of tech savy. i guess i'm what they call an intermetiate level user. i started using paragon backup recently and it seems like a decent program for free and for my limited personal use. when i run backup now, i just want to do it incrementally, but haven't yet found an easy way to do that. i have searched the knowledge base and i find it unclear how to proceed. this must be one of those techy programs.:doubt: Any help would be appreciated. i may be a newbie but i can get around the keyboard, with a little help.:doubt:

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

It looks like what you were trying to setup is similar to this guide but File-level and incremental instead of Partitions and differential.

http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/DB10/Drive_Backup_10_Custom_Cyclic_Backup.pdf

You would run the initial file-level backup the same way, include the file exclusion and that should run fine.

For the file incremental backup, once you create the scheduled task, open the script and look for the txt file it's pointing to, for example:

img = "scr_120310174110763_fb1.txt"

Go to Paragon Software folder > DB or BR10 > scripts folder and open the scr_120310174110763_fb1.txt file.

You will have something like this:

FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_CONSTRAINTS=<M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/ <E>M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/*.EXE</E>
    >

Delete everything starting with <E> and ending with the other <E> resulting with this:

FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_CONSTRAINTS=<M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/
    >

Below that, you want to include a new exclusion mask below:

FB_PROPERTY_EXCLUDE_MASK=M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/*.EXE

This should get rid of the Scripts Interpretator error.

So BEFORE:

FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_CONSTRAINTS=<M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/ <E>M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/*.EXE</E>
    >
    FB_PROPERTY_ARCHIVE_PATH=C:/arc_120310173704732/Fri_Mar_12_09_38_47_2010/FL000000000000000000/
    FB_PROPERTY_FILESPLIT_SIZE=0
    FB_PROPERTY_COMPRESS_LEVEL=2
    FB_PROPERTY_MAX_LOG_RECORDS=16777215
    FB_PROPERTY_PARENT_ARCHIVE_TYPE=2
    FB_PROPERTY_PARENT_ARCHIVE_PATH=C:/arc_120310173704732/Fri_Mar_12_09_38_47_2010/FL000000000000000000/archive.pfi
    FB_PROPERTY_EXCLUDE_MASK=M:/Applications/DB Cyclic Tutorial/*.PNG
    FB_PROPERTY_GENERATE_UNIQUE_NAMES=0

AFTER:

FB_PROPERTY_WORKINGSET_CONSTRAINTS=<M:/Applications/Exclude Folder/>

FB_PROPERTY_ARCHIVE_PATH=C:/arc_120310173704732/Fri_Mar_12_09_38_47_2010/FL000000000000000000/
    FB_PROPERTY_FILESPLIT_SIZE=0
    FB_PROPERTY_COMPRESS_LEVEL=2
    FB_PROPERTY_MAX_LOG_RECORDS=16777215
    FB_PROPERTY_PARENT_ARCHIVE_TYPE=2
    FB_PROPERTY_PARENT_ARCHIVE_PATH=C:/arc_120310173704732/Fri_Mar_12_09_38_47_2010/FL000000000000000000/archive.pfi
    FB_PROPERTY_GENERATE_UNIQUE_NAMES=0

5. iantemple

iantemple Registered Member

Yikes!!!!!!!! I think I am out of my league. But thanks anywayo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.