VSS: Can't read volume data

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by rorywohl, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rorywohl

rorywohl Registered Member

Having trouble with Paragron Drive Backup 9 Personal Edition on Windows Vista 64-bit.

It had been working fine with a scheduled backup for months, but now I get an error message, "VSS: Can't read volume data."

I also tried running the backup using the Paragon Hot Backup option and received a similar error.

Based on what I read on other forums, I ran Fujitsu's Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) -- http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/support/utilities.html -- which showed no errors.

I then ran Macrium Reflect Free Edition just to get an image of the drive and it worked fine. The problem is that I can't restore the image without the WinPE 2.0 disk and for that I have to buy Macrium Reflect. Since I already own three copies of Drive Backup 9 Personal Edition and it's running fine on the other two (Windows XP) PCs, I'd rather not switch to a new piece of software.

So, I'm wondering if it's an issue with the hard drive on my Vista machine or with the way Drive Backup has implemented the calls to VSS or it's own Hot Backup technology.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Rory

2. ampelos

ampelos Registered Member

please do the following:
    * start Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite
    * run full interface of Drive Backup Pro
    * go to Tools - Settings - Hot processing options, switch from VSS to HotBackup
    * try to create backup now

If you get an error "Internal error 0x1200a", that means one of hard disks has some bad blocks. I recommend you checking it with its vendors tools. We have an article in our Knowledge Base referring to this problem: http://kb.paragon-software.com/paragon/include/templ/object2.jsp?objId=4879
    Please follow steps provided there.
    Paragon Software Group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
    With best regards,
    Paragon Support Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.