Fast Defragger?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Decapad, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - can anyone recommend a good, free & fast defragger? Fast being important. I have slow one already built into windows! Thanks, D:)

2. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Auslogics is probably fastest, but I'd go with either Puran or MyDefrag. Puran is pretty fast if you uncheck the gap filling option, plus it has a good boot defrag feature and automatic 'turn off computer when finished' option so that you can leave it to defrag at night or whenever you stop using your computer for the day.

MyDefrag is a bit confusing, but just run the 'daily defrag' option for a "fast" defrag. You can also use an older version of it (jkdefrag) with ScanDefrag, which gives you the additional options to run chkdsk, run pagedefrag and shut computer when done.

Please note that with any decent defragger, the first defrag may be slow because that's when the defragger first arranges the files according to its algorithm. Subsequent defrags should be much quicker because the files are already in the "right" arrangement and now the defragger only has to deal with new or newly fragmented files, and spaces left behind by the removal of data and programs. For this reason you be careful if mixing defraggers.

6. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

I don't know if it's the fastest, but I also recommend Puran Defrag. I just discovered today that Puran now offers a free (for personal use only) version identical to the one they previously charged $20 for. I installed it on both of my PCs (Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit) and really like it so far, especially the boot time defrag.

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Using here MyDefrag.

Thanks a lot for this new info; Puran with free version. For who dislikes MyDefrag appearance is a very good option indeed.

MyDefrag / Puran Defrag have an excellent file optimization.

8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if you uncheck free some space puran is about as fast as it gets. i own almost every defragger out there and i run puran on all my own systems. i actually pay for it. the free version must be brand new, VERY nice of puran imo

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

auslogics has this as well.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's good to know that Puran has now a free version for private use. In my experience it is the fastest Defragmenter I have ever tested on Vista and XP. MyDefrag is also pretty fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.