best dvd backup program what do you use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

with a 4year old and a wife that throws the movies everywhere this is a MUST have for me or id be poor from re-buying originals lol....i used to use clone dvd with anydvd but i got tired of having to use and buy both also anydvd at time messed with other programs i had installed. i switched to dvd fab which 98% of the time works great. i have had a few backups though that refused to play on any player they just skipped all over the place. it was always random which would skip and which would not. i never had this issue with clone dvd/anydvd combo.

what do you use and how do you like it? im wondering if there is something out there im missing. thanks

2. zfactor

yeah sorry windows only. i do play around with linux but all my main systems are now win7. i like linux i just have to much that doesnt work on it i have to use

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

check your PM

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I have backed up over 1700 DVDs and can find no problem whatsoever with DVDFab 6 (the current incarnation), the CloneDVD/AnyDVD HD combo, or 1clickdvdcopy/DVD43; all have worked well for me.
    While I no longer use 1click/DVD43, I mention them because they do work.
    My problem with 1click was an almost total lack of product support and an attitude by their CSRs that I couldn't tolerate any longer. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

As a practical matter, I now use DVDFab 6 almost exclusively and do not plan on renewing my subscription(s) to Slysoft. The reason for this is that DVDFab costs less and does for me everything I want.
    DVDFab is simple and has only twice (as far as I can remember) failed to back up the latest release.
    Even then, a new version was released within a week or so that could.

So the choice, as far as I can see, is to pay more and get slightly faster program upgrades with the Slysoft combo and additional functionality (which I have never explored) in playing protected content, or to use DVDFab and pay less if all you need is to rip and burn.
    As far as I can tell, the playback quality and compatibility is equal between the two using either DVD5 or DVD9 media. :thumb:

I realize that there are other programs and combinations, but these are the ones I have used extensively and feel qualified to render an opinion on.

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

DVDFab. Fast and extremely simple.

6. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

no doubt dvdfab is the winner.
    also for quality backups.

7. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Your problem isn't software it's hardware, your media is bad. When your movie isn't recognize/hangs or skips it's always a media problem.
    You can try something to see if your software is the problem, use dvdshrink (freeware) to open the dvd files that you ripped. If dvdshrink can open those files without navigation errors etc, they are good. Also you can check the quality (you need to get a score of 90 or better) of your burned dvd by using the free Nero DiscSpeed (it's a exe file no need to install the program, runs when you double click it)
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Nero_CD-DVD_Speed

The best dvd media is either sony 16x+ or verbatim 16x+, those work for me everytime. Most other format is hit or miss. Sometimes sony and verbatim might produce a bad batch but they usually have good quality control.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

If you use good media and you still have problems, your burner might be bad. It's happened to me especially if your dvd burner has been used alot.

All I use is the free dvdfab for the past 3 years and has never let me down. Doesn't get better than that.

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

*Post two accidentaly deleted - "K9Copy - though you'd need to run Nix to take advantage. In a word - IMPRESSIVE!"

9. zfactor

i only use ty or verb media. hmm ill try a diff drive then

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

A couple of programs I like are WinX DVD Copy and Magic DVD Copy.I've had excellent results with both.

11. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

TY is the best but not a media you find at the store, verbatims are good but I had problems with there 16x-(minus) and don't use those anymore. The verbatims 16X+ for the most part work good but there are a couple of burns that gave me problems (freezing on my dvd player). I suspect a bad batch, but hesitant to use them anymore.
    All I buy now is sony 16X+ , they are very good. For me it's the best media you can find at the store.

12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It appears your problem may not be due to the software but bad DVD media. Have a look at this site. It explains which companies manufacture good media and which manufacture bad media quite thoroughly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.