SafeOnline keeps crashing browser

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by PC__Gamer, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

at first, i noticed it on such websites Youtube when i had 'add protection' (green tick enabled)

trying to view the videos would instantly crash my browser, ie, opera, firefox, ive tested them all.

but now, i think its happening when i have the green tick enabled just on regular websites too, maybe they have flash in them aswell?

its starting to really peev me off, because i cant add protection on many of the websites i use.

I use W7HP 64-bit

can anyone else check for such problems, because ive just formatted my machine and installed this, and its still doing it.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    We're aware of this issue which affects some x64 users and will have it fixed in the next release.

Sorry for the inconvenience! For now it may be easiest to disable SafeOnline on x64 systems affected by the issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

3. Technic

Technic Registered Member

W7 Ultimate 32-Bit here. Opera 10.10 B1893 crashes few times a day. Firefox 3.5.6 suffers too after installing Prevx. These crashes are pretty random, so I can not tell how to reproduce them.

4. PC__Gamer

cheers Joe,

any timeframe on this fix? :rolleyes:

it seems to only do it on sites like youtube with videos on, flash issue with SafeOnline?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. PC__Gamer

support did send me 3.0.5.41 test version, but sadly....

it didnt fix the issue. :'(

6. Lyondellic

Lyondellic Registered Member

Joe,

This issue also manifests in 32 bit versions of Windows. I have duplicated the problem on 2 computers using Windows 7 Pro (x86) and IE8 & Google Chrome. I have also seen the issue manifest on my 3rd computer, which uses Windows XP (SP3) and Firefox. I purchased a 3 computer license for Prevx, but have disabled SafeOnline on all 3 until a fix is released. Some additional information may be found in another post that I submitted on this board. I have submitted a support request to Prevx and am looking forward to a solution to this issue in a timely manner.

7. PrevxHelp

If anyone is experiencing browser crashes, it would be very useful to get a scan log by clicking Tools > Save Scan Results and send it to report@prevxresearch.com as we may be able to correct the issue from our database.

Also, PC__Gamer: if you could please try scanning your PC again and reboot once more, it may correct your issue - if not, please try also sending a scan log to see if we can find an underlying issue.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

8. PC__Gamer

lol Joe,

right this minute, the issue is not occuring.

damn, i will enable all settings, reboot and try it again.

im using the test build .1 from support, i checked it earlier and the issue was still not fixed, however, i did tell support this and they may have fixed it today maybe?

9. PC__Gamer

hmm, i reset my safeonline so all my website settings were removed,

and all my websites load with the green tick, isnt it supposed to do this 'only' when i tell it to?

*not that im complaining, because id prefer it to be enabled on all websites i visit, however... i want to make sure nothing is wrong.

10. PrevxHelp

That is definitely possible, or could you have not rebooted between upgrading? (a reboot is definitely required to install the newer drivers)

Either way, let me know! :)

11. PrevxHelp

If you have a license key in place, all HTTPS websites will automatically have a green tick and full protection (or you can change this by manually turning down HTTPS protection if wanted).

12. PC__Gamer

i reset SafeOnline, so all websites were removed.

and ALL websites im visiting are loading with a green tick, even ones i have never been too.

not that im complaining, because id prefer it to do this, but is something wrong?

13. PC__Gamer

ok, i reset SafeOnline once more, and they are all blue again.

strange... because a second ago, all websites were green, http and https after a reset of SafeOnline, but now after another reset of S.O, they are all blue again.

lol

im gonna enable the green tick on all my websites (http & https websites - basically, enabling the green tick on all my favourites) , do a 'full scan' without smart scanning, reboot my machine and come back to check the video thing, hopefully its fixed.

im running 3.0.5.41 btw.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

slow down medicine man. Dont you think it would help to ask PC__Gamer if he is talking about HTTP sites or HTTPS. You quickly mentioned HTTPS which most never go to. I will bet he says HTTP.

15. PC__Gamer

the issue is still occuring im afraid,

sending the log to the link in your post.

edit:> SENT :)

could it be because i have it on Maximum, does something in the Maximum setting make the browser crash on flash videos like YouTube?

16. Lyondellic

Lyondellic Registered Member

I sent Prevx log entries from crashes that took place while using IE8 and Google Chrome under Windows 7 Pro (x86). The changes everyone is seeing may be due to the changes that Prevx informed me of in this reply, which I received a few moments ago. I completed these steps and have re-enabled SafeOnline (keeps fingers crossed):

~ Private Communication Removed per TOS. ~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  17. PC__Gamer

hmm what changes, because the issue is still clearly broken for me im afraid.

18. PrevxHelp

Every user's PC is different and there could literally be hundreds of reasons why it would happen, which is why it is a difficult issue to debug. If anyone who is experiencing these issues would be willing to have a quick remote support session, I think we'd be able to solve the issue very quickly :)

Just send me over a PM and let me know when you are available and we can schedule a time!

19. PC__Gamer

right this second as i post this, im watching one of my videos on youtube with the green tick enabled,

i hope it keeps working, but ive had it happen as a one-off before, so we shall see.

edit: Scratch that, rebooted and its crashing my browsers again on the youtube test :)

damn stupid thing

true, everyones pc is different, but this is a fresh OS install, ive only installed a handful of programs.

i have no set time when i will be available, i know i am right now, but later... if im at my pc and replying or if i see you online, you could do it there and then if you wish.

dont know.

i must warn you though, this pc may blow your socks off :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  20. PC__Gamer

hmm, ive left it half-an-hour or so Joe while my machine was defragging, and came back, checked it and YouTube is working with the green tick.

o_O o_O o_O o_O

reboot and im sure it will crash my browsers on videos once again,

edit: yep, rebooted and once again it does the same crashing on youtube.

are any of my comments ringing any bells with you Joe for a possible fix? this is becoming one big frustrating problem on my computer

--------------

Im starting to wonder if this is even a prevx issue and maybe something else on my machine giving me problems Joe, adobe flash, or maybe a dodgy windows update or god knows what!

its really annoying me though and i dont know what to do about it, im out of options.

I kinda hope it isnt prevx, and just a simple fix for whatever it may be.

----------------

ok, im now un-installing it, rebooting and see where i stand.

(sorry for all the messages and edits to them, just rather tell you what im doing incase something is a miss, or something clicks with you)

edit: without prevx installed, the problem does go away, so its definatly a prevx issue.

...got there in the end. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  21. PC__Gamer

i think its clear to say, that my issue has stumped Prevx. :eek:

i notice some other people say the same issue, but others do not, weird dont ya think?

i definatly want this issue sorted before i create an image for this freshly formatted machine, bad time of year to be having problems aswell, as support will probably be partying like everyone else :) lol

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I don't think you have stumped them but they wont reply repeatedly with we are working on it. They take the information you gave them and they try to reproduce it. Trust me it's on the to do list its probably just more complicated to fix then you think.

As for them having problems keep in mind the people that post on here are a very small faction of the user base for Prevx. In otherwords 99% of the user base is not having issues. Does this make your issues any less urgent to fix of coarse not just realize it will take time to fix sense it's not a mass problem, There is just not alot of data to go off whats wrong.

23. PrevxHelp

Well said, Fajo :) We have had probably three separate reports of this issue now and are definitely investigating it as much as possible internally but we're currently waiting on remote support sessions to try and get a "hands on" diagnosis to correct the issue. Unfortunately we can't just tinker around with the software to change things - we need to know exactly what's causing the problem to make an exact fix, and with software as complex as Prevx, that could be literally hundreds of thousands of areas.

Exactly :) If this problem affected every user visiting Youtube or every user on an x64 PC, we would have it fixed already - the most difficult part of a software issue is reproducing it but once it is reproducible, it is easy to solve in most cases. And frankly, if Prevx wasn't working with Youtube on my x64 PC (the one I'm writing this message on), I certainly would be complaining quite a bit to get it fixed now :D

I am 100% positive that we will have it solved very soon and we are not stumped :) It will likely only take 20 minutes during one remote support session to diagnose the problem if it is as reproducible on some PCs as it seems. Granted, we have numerous levels of quality control to go through before every user can download a fixed version, but we should be able to get a beta version out to the other users who are experiencing the problem relatively swiftly.

24. PC__Gamer

check your PM box Joe. :)

25. PrevxHelp

A note to everyone who is following this issue - PC__Gamer was kind enough to offer remote support and I've identified the source of the issue and should hopefully have it fixed within the next day or so :)

We also managed to find the issue with typing into some programs and should have that fixed as well! :thumb: to PC__Gamer and a Happy New Year to all :)

I'll forward details as soon as we have them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.