Flash Privacy Settings

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by imperium, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Hi folks, I noticed the other day to my utter amazement that while CCleaner deletes the Flash Cookies if you go to the Website Privacy Settings panel after deletion the list of viewed websites are still visible and I am forced to click the Delete All Sites button :eek: . I would have thought the deletion of the cookies would have made the Website Privacy Settings panel empty. There was literally hundreds of sites on there. I know many people use Firefox with the Better Privacy add-on but I use IE8. It is a pity there is no add-on for Explorer which blocks these LSO's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Have you made the inclusions and exclusions as in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=256771&highlight=flash cookies , post #9 ?

That might help ?

Or not.

I used CCleaner with those settings recently. Afterwards I googled 'Flash security settings' to check things, but all Flash cookies had NOT been removed. There was one Flash cookie of a local shop I visited shortly before using CCleaner. I had to remove it in the Flash settings menu. :doubt:
    Does anyone have an explanation ?

As I stated, a local shop. Don't ask me where I live. ;)

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

R-Wipe evidently wipes them. But I don't know how to find them to verify. But R-Wipe did clean dat files that Ccleaner and Sweepi left behind.

http://www.r-wipe.com/

4. Idontknow

Idontknow Registered Member

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

He knows:

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

You could always use Eraser to wipe the location they're stored as a scheduled and/or on-demand task.

7. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

8. inka

inka Registered Member

If you know the path to where the SharedAssets are stored on your PC, CCleaner can handle the job for you.

Open CCleaner, click 'Options' icon, click 'Include' button.

your paths will be different. Mine are:
    C:\Documents and Settings\bubba\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Player\AssetCache\*.*
    C:\Documents and Settings\bubba\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\*.*
    C:\Documents and Settings\bubba\Local Settings\Temp\*.*

In terms of privacy, clearing the SharedObjects is only half the battle.
    Adobe are rotten baxters; many of the 200 or so regkeys in my registry here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\uicontrol
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-snip-1003\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11
    involve "not personally identifiable info" (just GUID bound to your PC, eh?) and various "calling home" settings (um, we're just checking {{every hour}} to see if any updates are available. Yeah that's the ticket, Joe Public will go for that)

9. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I take it that East-Tec Eraser 2010 should take care of these entries right?

10. inka

inka Registered Member

For $49.95, the eAST tEC payware ought to clean the carpets and walk the dog too.

11. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I payed far from the price you suggested for the product :blink:

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey...thanks for this little great app.
    also how do you compare this to flash cookie cleaner

14. acuariano

15. siljaline

16. acuariano

always deny will let me play videos,watch tv o_Oo_O??

think i did this before and it didn't let me..

17. siljaline

Is this in reply to my post? Use the app, it's easier than fussing with Adobe settings, but that's just me.

18. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Some great suggestions here. Thanks!:thumb:

19. acuariano

ok what i mean is after using flushflasj=h -third option- and going to adobe player settings manager,i see that the cookie still remains there.

20. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

OZO posted at DSLR

1boss1 posted here at Wilders reply # 13 a screenshot

[​IMG]

and :

=====

I'm no expert on the whole issue of the privacy issues related to Flash. I'm still trying to found it out too. But I too have found out that the extra includes/excludes in CCleaner are not enough. There was indeed something in my .sol file related to a site I visited. I didn't like that.
    So, I checked again my settings at the Adobe Flash Settings site (and removed that "something").
    Then I made the .sol file read-only.
    And I still have these extra includes/excludes in CCleaner.
    I keep an eye on my .sol file in my file-integrity-checker NISFileCheck for changes.
    So far, it has worked for me (on XP-home SP3 with IE6).
    I have not yet tried Flush Flash nor Flash Cookie Cleaner.

So far for what it's worth...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  21. acuariano

2. Open Settings Manager and adjust all settings going through all tabs.
    o_O
    what to check here.

22. siljaline

23. plax

plax Registered Member

What I've done with regard to blocking *.sol accumulation is this:

1) cleared all *.sol items under the respective Macromedia subfolder(s)

2) went to Settings Manager at the Adobe site

3) went through the privacy settings and denied 3rd party item storage in Settings Manager and set the remaining settings for optimal privacy.

4) saved the Settings Manager settings

5) set the file attributes for the 2 settings.sol files created from my Adobe Settings Manager session to read-only (to retain my privacy settings).

6) set the file attribute for the subsequently acquired settings.sxx file to read-only as well

7) test-monitored the Macromedia subdirectory structure for new items for a number of months.

This is an XP system with FF (Better Privacy plugin installed) and IE, as well as CCleaner. During the past several months, I've observed no *.sol cookies being accepted/retained in the Macromedia subdirectory structure.

The question now becomes: Is this actually working, or do I merely have a false sense of security since both my visual inspection of the Macromedia subdirectory structure and Better Privacy's consistent checking upon FF session closure continue to tell me that no new *.sol cookies have been stored?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  24. plax

plax Registered Member

Other relevant observations:

Just days ago, I upgraded my Flash Player to v10.0.42.34. Importantly, my settings and *.sol preclusion functionality still seem to be intact - I did NOT have to perform the Settings Manager process again.

Additionally, the "Adobe DLM" (or Download Manager) is merely a temporarily installed application that facilitates the download of the new Flash Player version. It auto-installs from the Adobe site during the Flash Player upgrade process along with a RunOnce registry value which uninstalls it upon the next restart of the computer.

Further, it is necessary to upgrade the Flash Player component for Internet Explorer and the one for Firefox separately (that's two separate upgrades). The Flash Player "ActiveX" control item is the essential component of the Flash Player instance that interfaces with Internet Explorer. Whereas the Flash Player "plugin" item is the essential component of the Flash Player instance that interfaces with Firefox. Once installed, both the ActiveX and the plugin items should be visible in your system's add/remove programs list.

If I'm wrong about something please don't hesitate to correct me. But my description above seems to bare out as accurate from my testing, observation, and research.

Hopefully this information may be helpful to some.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.