Turn off startup scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mister Natural, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I want to turn off the startup scan on all users. Which option or scheduler do I disable to do this? It's very annoying and frustrating when I want to get things done when I turn on a computer. First boot is incredibly slow due to the startup scan. Not needed.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

By disabling startup scans you disable a protection layer, allowing certain malware running silently in the background. Instead of disabling startup scan completely, I'd prefer lowering the priority to "When idle" when editing the startup scan tasks.

4. siljaline

Could you post a SOL # for a definitive startup scan, Marcos ?
    I have several that were created by default and I wish to know which to use and which to uncheck.

Thanks.

5. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I'd be willing to do that but don't see an option to set to run when idle in the scheduler menu. Don't see it either in windows task scheduler. Also when I open the configuration editor I see none of the default scheduled tasks so that I could edit them. I can only create my own.

6. siljaline

There is an option to set-up a "when idle" startup task, I would like a new SOL # from ESET.

7. cssoz

cssoz Registered Member

so true I thought of disabling it start-up scan before, but I know when there's app running when startup so can viruses

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You can also schedule the start up file scan to run at a certain time on a certain day.

9. siljaline

And the parameters would be ? :thumb:

10. Bitten By C Bug

Bitten By C Bug Registered Member

Hello, go to scheduler on left hand side of GUI of Nod, and select which start up scan you want to edit, highlite, and click edit and adjust to your desired preferences, hope this helps.

11. siljaline

I am familiar with tweaking scheduled tasks, appreciate the effort.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  12. nikkilocke

nikkilocke Registered Member

I'm also fed up with having to wait up to 5 minutes after bootup before I can use my computer.

How do you do that?

If I edit one of the Startup file check tasks, I get offered options to run it Once, Repeatedly, Daily, Weekly or Event Triggered. I chose event triggered.

Then you get to chose the event - there is no "when idle" option.

If you type "Automatic file startup check" into the help search box, you get shown a nice dialog which allows you to lower the scan priority, which might help - but it doesn't show you how to get to that dialog.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Go to the main window and click tools>sheduler. There you'll see where it's set to go off on boot up. Highlight it and click Edit, where you can change it to check files when you want it to.

14. siljaline

As per my previous comment and adjusting startup scan?

15. nikkilocke

Did I misunderstand Marcos's post? I thought he was saying that I should set the startup scan priority to "When idle". I would love to do that, but I can't find out how.

Why is this dialog shown in the help file when there is no way to get to it?

16. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

If you go to the scheduler and edit the start-up scan you will get that dialog.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think I see that you are referring to disabling the scan. I wasn't talking about disabling, but rather moving the scan to a time better suited for you. :)

18. nikkilocke

I promise you I don't. Perhaps we have different versions of the app? Or perhaps you didn't look in the help file?

I have attached pictures of the help page, the task editing window, and the wizard windows that appear when I choose to edit the task. I think you will agree none of the wizard windows looks like the dialog in the help file.

Do you get something different to me? If so, what version of Nod32 are you running?

Attached Files:

19. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

20. nikkilocke

Good grief - well hidden - I find it was set to lowest priority, but have changed it to "when idle" to see if it helps.

21. Paul2

Paul2 Registered Member

22. Stealth111

Stealth111 Registered Member

Now all we need is an easy way to set this setting via the RA console. I have over 1000 machines in my domain, and about half of them could really use the startup scan being disabled, or at least pushed down to the lowest priority possible, as it really kills some of the older machines.

23. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

In the attachment you can find a config file for Eset Configuration Editor which contains the configuration for setting the priority of the task to "When idle".

Note that you should edit the XML file with a plain text editor and copy the <tast></task> part to your configuration file at the corresponding place.

-- rpr.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.