Firewalls with the best implementation

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pfipps, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

This question is most likely for Stem: For pure firewall packet filtering and application level filtering, and low level filtering, what are the best firewalls besides the the built in windows firewall?

I've tried Comodo firewall, but I don't like that it doesn't support IPV6. I tried Privatefirewall, but it doesn't support IPV6 and it has a log problem. PCTools seems good, but there is some buggy application management behavior. I thought I was set on Agnitum, but I had some driver problems with it. Is the McAfee firewall good (part of the security suite)? I am talking about app management and packet filtering, not HIPS ability.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Have your tried Look`n`Stop?

- Stem

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This is interesting to me as well so hope I can chirp up with a question, probably also for Stem? Do you consider the packet filtering capabilities of Win fw, including Vista's, to be at least as good if not better than you've seen in the 3rd party software fw's you've tested? Lately I've been using Vista's with default outbound blocked and a number of program rules, and I've been very pleased with the browsing performance I've experienced, as well as its clear lack of intrusiveness on the system, without indtroducing bugs of any kind, such as failing to load in the system tray or load a driver, or react in an unpredictable manner. If something doesn't connect to the internet, it's because of a lack of a proper or correct rule, in other words my problem - not because of bugginess or performance issues.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Wat0114,

My reply was based on the need for low level filtering, which I take as meaning "to be able to construct rules for such as ARP"

As I have mentioned about WinXP firewall, it does have good inbound filtering, It is just a case of where it is to be used, if on an untrusted/unmanaged LAN, then further filtering is required. The same could be said for the Vista firewall. Most users go through an ISP LAN, but they are usually managed and safe from possible attack from the lower protocols such as ARP.
    On my own setup, facing my ISP LAN, I would have no problem or worry using either XP or Vista inbuilt firewall, it is just my choice that I make further filtering,

- Stem

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@Stem,

I see, thanks!

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

look n stop is probly the most robust "pure" firewall u will find IMO.

7. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I should have mentioned a free firewall:)

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So why ask about "McAfee firewall", is that free now?

You have already mentioned the free firewalls I know that support IPV6.

- Stem

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I can get the Mcafee suite for free through my ISP. Anyway, I found out that you can only allow all, or outbound only on a per application basis....not very versatile. Does Online Armor free offer IPV6 support?

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well, if it's free it's only a good thing IF the product is effective. So IMHO free or price is the LAST factor in selection.

As to OA best to ask Mike Nash over that their forum.

Here FYI is a link on IPV6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_application_support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.