Immunet Protect- Free cloud based AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by norky, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simisg

simisg Registered Member

i have test it this antivirus against some malware....trojans backdoors worms virus and it rocks!! detected and auto quarantine every thing i throw to my windows before i can see it.... is very light and powerfull.

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

What a disaster.... :eek: OTOH we all know that the output of a test can't be guaranteed and/or prognosticated: always count with the unexpected, and regarding this particular test, the predictable..:D *puppy*

<S>

3. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

All,

I've been following the thread for some time and while I am a little hesitant to comment I'll give it a shot. If you have specific questions about our Beta I will answer them if I can. If I cannot answer, I'll tell you why. You can either ask me here or you can email me at alfred[at]immunet.com, it's up to you.

As for the commentary that's been running about PrevX, please recognize that Immunet did not make those statements. I'm a big fan of PrevX (among others) and our goal is not to disparage anyone. Period. For the PrevX support guy who weighed in with a note that our Beta caused your system to slow down, please contact me and I'll happily work with you to help trouble shoot it. It is a Beta after all….

Guys, please remember this is a beta. We have a whole series of drop points throughout our beta where we introduce new features (and detection technologies). The feature introduction will be based on stability and user feedback throughout the beta. We opened the doors with 1.0.8 and are now up to 1.0.14 and I suspect there will be many more drops along the way until we feel ready for GA.

Al Huger
    Immunet Corp.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
  4. simisg

simisg Registered Member

ok that is nice and friendly ........ i will keep an eye in immunet protect because i believe its a promising security product
    keep the good work....

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Install and uninstall without a problem, leaving nothing behind Revo uninstaller could not clear.

So PrevXhelp, you are right (about silly claims of this new soft and associated 'security expert'), but no need to through in some FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt), after all it uses the inverted model of PrevX, which only shares in the wild fingerprints of malware allready detected by AV's. It is save to try and uninstall.

So I would compare it more to a virus total than PrevX cloud model.

When more users join and it can parasite on more AV's it will become as strong as virus total (only in real time in stead of async).

Cheers

6. alhuger

alhuger Registered Member

Actually, Immunet on the desktop does not rely on the detections of other vendors although if you are running AVG, Mcafee or Norton it is capable of noting there has been a detection. To a point this is present so we do not double convict (which is not quite working yet, we still double convict at times). Although the beta is designed to run alongside other AV it can be run on it's own. Until it's a fully featured suite though I obviously would not advise installing it on it's own solo unless there is a compelling reason to do so (cpu contraints etc).

Best,
    al

7. Kees1958

Thx,

It is a nice companion for people using policy management restrictions, policy management HIPS and anti-executables. With those settings you are more or less safe, until you allow something to install. That is where Immunet comes in. So you have a blacklist mechanism, only at the moment you need it.

Could you provide clues on what the installation monitor triggers?

Thx Kees

8. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

64-bit anytime soon? Can't even install on my Windows 7 64-bit system... :(

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Can anyone report on what kind of resources(Ram, HD, CPU, etc.) this program uses? thanks

10. Kees1958

It uses near zero CPU time and has very few disk I/O, ram usage was normal (can't recall but normal for me is 10 - 45 MB range)

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Kees, any updates on this program, and how it's run on your system?

12. Kees1958

Stands out fine,

It's default (weakest) mode only looks at installs. For people using sandboxes who really only need a AV at installation or sending mail, this program does a good job: It only looks at installs and uses near zero CPU capacity when playing around in the sandbox (no other realtime check).

Regards Kees

13. Saraceno

Ok. You recommend enabling 'monitor application start' as well, instead of just installs, or did you notice some slowdown?

14. Kees1958

I would not use it as an AV, although it seems to have simular scores (a little less) as AVG in that mode. Please mind that the source of that story does not have a great reputation on testing.

15. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

This a standalone product or should it run along with a regular anti-virus like Antivir?

16. Kees1958

Sports, Saraceno

I would run it as an extra layer, which only looks at program installs at the moment. When it proves to be reliable in the future it can be a substitute for an AV.

Two examples of add on:
    A friend of mine has it running with MSE and he has set MSE to check only at downloads and e-mails. He runs in a Vistax64 LUA user and has extra restricted this user by taking away ownership of certain directories and registry keys an deny execute of the C:\Users directory.

I run it along side DW on my wife's PC (on which fortinet client only checks for in the wild virusses on Temprorary/download folders at writes).

Regards Kees

17. s23

s23 Registered Member

Use it with another type of cloud AV is a bad idea? something like prevx or panda? because how this type of software is designed to run alongside with another full AV i think there is no problem right? i'm asking beacause this type of cloud AV maybe is the best type to use in a system with virtualisation software working 24/7 like shadow defender or deep freeze not is?

18. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Doing some test next to KIS 2010 right now.
    Do I understand correctly if I say that Imunnet will benefit from my Kaspersky detections?

19. Kees1958

Sjoei,

What I understand

Immunet knows from a few AV's when it allready has detected a sample to prevent double notifications and send this virus notification to a central server.

The chief engineer reported that Immunet did not depend on a local resident AV https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1540659&postcount=31, this in line with what Pbust reported https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1527991&postcount=10 (querring a cloud server for 1-to-1 fingerprints.)

What I do not understand

The statistics reported 46 people protected against 3.455 (3,402) million threats (http://deals.venturebeat.com/2009/08/19/immunet-kicks-off-cloud-based-antivirus-protection/) on august 19th and 2678 protection against 3,455 on august 25th, means that roughly 2600 new users triggered 52,000 (52.000) malware encounters in six days.

Comparing that to my own experience (on three users/PC's one infection in last four years = one infection per 4300 PC usage days , versus 2600 user/PC's 52000 infections in six days = 52000 infection for 6x2600=93600 pc usage days) this growth can't be from real life infections of those 2600 users.

So it must be actively feeding malware sources into the data bases of Norton/McFee/AVG to realise such a growth (same way like web rating software uses crawlers to explore the internet).

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, these programs can't just make detections out of nowhere and feed them to others, meaning triggered detections cannot exactly make new detections on their own. Cloud detection only means every user connects to their service and checks for signature in real-time. So you always get the latest signature without any need for static interval updates.
    But i have yet to learn how these things work exactly and how they manage unpacking, emulation and things like that. Because using static hash like signatures isn't really any improvement even with all the cloud fuzz.

But in general i quite like Immunet Protect. It's really low impact on my netbook, making it quite more responsive compared to KAV7.0 or avast!.
    But i have doubts about it's efficiency. Any tests out there? It seems like no one has tested it yet.

21. simisg

simisg Registered Member

i have made a personal test for this antivirus because i like it to. But it is not very good at detection ...... i have test it against some zero day threats of malware domain list and malwarebytes rogue list.In 10 malicious objects neutralizes only 2 in my tests.... but with oldest malware is better i think

22. Saraceno

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

24. Saraceno

I know Kees took some in another thread, but this thread doesn't have any screenshots.

Summary screen
    Immunet.jpg

Shows on each day how many files/programs installed
    immunet 2.jpg

Example - dr. web's cureit run
    immunet 3.jpg

Example - faststone capture run
    immunet 3a.jpg

Article above recommended enabling 'monitor application start' to check files that might be malicious after installation.

immunet 4.jpg

25. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

I wanted to try Immunet along with A-Square Antimalware + PC Tools Firewall but it seems it messed with my system.

First: after installing, I got a the message "Cloud Protection is inactive" and never got it to work.

I uninstalled it and after rebooting my system freezed. I rebooted again (by pressing the power button), the desktop showed but freezed again.

I had to use the Safe Mode and restore the system to the point before Immunet installation.

Hope they fix this issue as it seems an interesting product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.