ESS 4 on XP sp3 - crash on reboot

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by deepblue2see, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepblue2see

deepblue2see Registered Member

I just moved to ESS4 after unistalling CAAV :doubt: that looks kind slowing down my Dell laptop. After installation is complete I reboot as requested and reboot stops on XP screen forever. Only work around has been so far rebooting in safe mode and restore to a point before installation. I try to install ESS4 3 times with the same result of reboot stops on XP screen.
    Any idea? :oops:

2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Hey

i would run CA uninstall tool - download here, ESET uninstaller and try again.

3. MathewG

MathewG Former ESET Support Rep

You may have traces of CA still on your system. Running CA's Removal tool may resolve this issue that you are having. Visit the following link to be directed to an ESET knowledgebase article containing assistance for removing common antivirus software (including CA) from your machine:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

If after running the CA removal tool and re-installing your ESET Security Product and your still experiencing the same symptoms, please let us know.

4. deepblue2see

Thanks for the ideas.
    I did ran the CA removal tool but it didn't solve the problem; I ran the ESS 4 installation and everything was fine but when I reeboot the machine the boot stops as before with the XP logo and the blue bar below. Again I had to use the systen restore in safe mode to get the machine back. :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. EasternOkie

EasternOkie Registered Member

6. deepblue2see

Thanks for the link EasternOkie, what to say, I didn't expect such a stuff, I'll try a little bit more before step back to previous av: it probably wasn't that bad. I may try to download ESS3 if the license allow me to downgrade.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The best course of action would be to set Windows to create complete memory dumps and, when BSOD occurs and a dump is created, convey it to ESET for perusal.

8. deepblue2see

Marcos I understand your point but I do not get any BSOD, when the reboot starts it just stops with the screen with XP logo, black background and the blue strip running at the bottom of the logo; It stays like that forever if not touched.

9. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

There are a few people on this forum with very similar issues with NOD32 and ESET. I put in a service request yesterday to ESET and was pleased to get a autoreply telling me an engineer would contact me within 1 business day. :D I better not hold my breath. Still nothing yet.

Anyways, I have very similar problems, have an ASUS motherboard G33/ICH9 drivers.

My story is here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252230

I list off my hardware from an Everest report and would love to hear if we all share a same piece of hardware.

10. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

FIXED!?!

I had ESS V3 installed and seen in the registry that only easdrv and epfwtdi were set at start = 1. So I unistalled and reinstalled V4. Tried ehdrv first and set it to 2 and voila! No problems. No more BSOD on startup!

To anyone else having this same issue of BSOD on startup after installing ESET ESS V4, try this;

Navigate in the registry to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ehdrv and set 'start' to '2'
    Reboot.

2 sets the service to start in 'Automatic' mode (Automatic: Loaded by Service Control Manager. Specifies that the service is loaded or started automatically. ) , where as '1' was System: Loaded by I/O subsystem. Specifies that the driver is loaded at kernel initialization.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  11. deepblue2see

Sorry for the late replay, I have some busy days.
    I'm not used to scratch around in my register but I've got to try what you said even if I never really had BSOD.

12. wysegy66

wysegy66 Registered Member

Same problem here.
    I can install ESET SS on my Dell D630 and everything looks ok - install is successful, updates are OK - UNTIL YOU REBOOT where it hangs on the Windows XP screen FOREVER. Need to go into safe mode and use the uninstaller to remove it.

Used to have KAV installed - it was uninstalled using the KAV uninstall utility and then the registry was checked and cleaned using JV16. Had to go back to KAV. Would switch to ESET SS if it would load.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

go into device manager, view / show hidden devices / find EHDRV or EASDRV and change it on the second tab to start type auto or demand and post back the results.

15. Marcos

Maybe a log from SysInspector would reveal some CA AV leftovers?

16. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Re: ESS 4 on XP sp3 - (HANG on reboot)

I have the exact same problem! :gack:
    I thought it was a software conflict and tried everything (well... everything any competent tech would try) to no avail.

Finally resorted to reload Windows XP SP3 on this Gateway 2.0Ghz P4 rig, ran sysinspector and checked the log which revealed nothing out of the ordinary (why would it on a fresh install with NO other software loaded) So I loaded up Acronis TIH v12 and backed up system, loaded ESS4 rebooted and BAM system hangs on XP Boot screen... again! What a PITA :ouch:

So... I'm going to try the reg HACK now, I say hack because I think ESET has seen this problem enough times by now to have realized it is a problem and needs to be / should have been fixed by now (first reported in here, when... September 2009?) :eek:
    Come on now 4 months o_O and not even 1 acknowledgment that there is (at the very least) an issue with ESS4 :thumbd:

I know... I know... I should have checked the forum sooner (been regged here since 2003 & lurked for a year or two before that) But I just knew it wasn't ESET :rolleyes: heck I've been using it on several other rigs with no problem...
    :doubt:

P.S.

Thank You to dkyuss for posting his fix. :thumb:

I will report back my findings (on common hardware) when I get a chance.
    ;)

17. Marcos

If a problem like this occurs, we need to get a kernel or complete memory dump from the moment the issue occurs for analysis. Instructions for generating a memory dump are available here.

In addition, please try the following which will help ESET troubleshoot the issue. After each step, check if the issue persists:

1, disable automatic real-time file protection startup and restart the computer
    2, disable startup scan tasks and restart the computer
    3, disable anti-stealth and restart the computer
    4, uninstall the current version and install ESS 4.2.22
    5, uninstall ESS 4.2.22 and install EAV 4.2.22 to make sure the problem is not related to the firewall driver

18. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

RE:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-----> OK... so I tried this:

-----> You are correct, BUT...

You can not edit the start value to 2 from within Windows XP because ESS 4.0.474.0 (sevices) has the registry value locked. So... you have to reboot, let the system HANG at the boot screen, do a hard power down then start the system and go in through Safe Mode and edit that ehdrv start value to 2.
    Then go ahead and reboot. And it's all good.
    :thumb:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-----> Tested out your theory, BUT...

The system does start up ok and runs fine until you go to reboot / or shutdown then the system HANGS on the Shutdown (Windows is saving your settings) screen. Later I went back in to device manager and seen that the system had reverted back to the original setting. :thumbd:

-----> I could take a day off and do ALL that, but...

I have bills to pay... like the one for ESET ESS v4 2 year renewal, that is what I pay for isn't it? ESET to code / troubleshoot the product I purchase? If I wanted to trouble shoot AV's all day for free then I would just code my own or go with a freeware like COMODO Internet Security, Avast! + Zone Alarm free, ect... ect...
    Besides that, all the heavy lifting has been done already hasn't it? Obviously the EHDRV Start key needs to be set to Automatic by the installer during installation.

If that isn't enough information to rectify the issue ESS4 has with XP SP3
    I could run those tests for ESET on my day off, maybe I could get a discount on my renewal bill then eh' :rolleyes:

:argh:

19. Marcos

If you're having continual problems with the product, contact the distributor/reseller you purchased the product from. If customer care was unable to figure out the cause and installing the latest version didn't help either there shouldn't be a problem to get a refund.

Basically there are 2 types of problems:
    1. problems caused by a bug in the product itself (may have been addressed in newer builds)
    2. problems caused by a bug in the oper. system or a 3rd party product that manifest when used in conjunction with ESET products

I assume the issues you mentioned wouldn't occur with v. 4.2.22 unless the problem is actually related to other badly written software.

20. dsnooks70

dsnooks70 Registered Member

I have been browsing the forum while setting up a box for a client, and I wanted to chime in on this thread.

Marcos, I understand that ESET does what it can with the resources it has to help as many customers as possible. However, in almost every reply you posted for this thread you ask for a dump file ... how can you not have seen the multiple replies stating that no dump file is created for the boot error?

With all due respect, if an ESET product is having issues with an OS (as seems to be the case here) then it is their responsiblity to work with said OS developer to resolve the issue.

Following the various links and such in this thread it seems pretty obvious that the problem is caused by Windows incorrectly assigning start order flags for the executables. ccomputerek posted a fix here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236185&page=3&highlight=easternokie

post #68

ESET can or cannot influence the way Windows installs it's products?

For the record, I have ESS4 running on an XP SP3 box no issues ... but I would have been a very unhappy camper if I had installed it on a client's system with issues and received the lack of support this thread indicates.

Everyone knows that Microsoft Windows (of any flavor) is "badly written software" but ESET must suck it up and make it work, cause that's what 90% of the world is running on (hurray for marketing and anti-trust)

This last post of yours seems to indicate that if someone buys ESET and has issues installing it, they should give up and get a refund. That may not have been your intent, but it is the impression I get.

Clarification?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.