I think this is a critical bug in ESS 4.0.437 !

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ESS_Lover, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESS_Lover

ESS_Lover Registered Member

Hi Moderators
    Yesterday when I started my PC and I noticed the ESS icon is red when I opened it and I found this

knowing that ESS was working very well hours before this happened
    I think it's a bug which need to be fixed , However when I restarted my PC it was gone

Regards
    ESS_Lover

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      123.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Most likely the firewall driver failed to start for some reason (there can be many of them, from interference with other drivers to an interim OS issue). You were warned that something went wrong and you should restart the computer. The firewall wasn't sitting there silently and letting all communications through which I would understand as a critical issue.

If you manage to replicate it at any time and are able to provide us step-by-step instructions, let us know.

3. ESS_Lover

ESS_Lover Registered Member

I know it's may no be so critical but ESS was working 100% normally and after restarted it's disabled . that must be a bug , ESS shouldn't be disabled by itself !

However . If this happened again what should I do to provide you the information you need to prevent this from happening in the future releases :D

4. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Actually, yesterday I turned on my system to the exact same message.

Didn't do anything different yesterday than any other day.

And as the OP stated, after a restart all was fine, but I was somewhat troubled by this message.

5. garryh

garryh Registered Member

I am getting the same message and for me it is an ongoing issue with Vista SP 2. I had this problem a month ago and rolled back the SP 2 install. I then read that all was fixed like the end of June.

So I installed SP2 and boom the above message once you click on the bright red ESET icon in the system tray.

I will finish by subscription and then I am outta here--that is if I can stand the terrible and I mean terrible customer support. It is clear ESET is out of control in terms of quality assurance and the writing of good solid code. I have no idea what happened to take them from top AV software to a suite that is anything but sweet!

6. TheIgster

I hear ya' garryh.

I just purchased a two year, two user license. So far, kind of wishing I hadn't.

Haven't been impressed with the firewall, issues with Windows 7, this issue in this thread and customer support.

It's too bad because Nod32 overall seems like a very good anti virus app and very light on resources. Guess I should have just purchased that instead of ESS.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. RFCanada

RFCanada Registered Member

Hello all, new to the forum.

I just noticed the same issue reported here. My email is also not working and closes down when I try to start it.

This issue I think has to do with Windows Vista Update that just occured on my computer tonight. Everything was fine until Vista updated itself and re-booted my computer.

There is an issue here and currently ESS is showing red and not working.

Please advise.

Regards.

9. TheIgster

Why would we want to do that?

So pay FULL price for ESS and then just use the anti virus?

Seems rather silly doesn't it? Not to mention paying full price and then using a product that we could have paid less for?

We would like to use our paid for ESS and would like to have it work properly.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

Customer support is realizing there are issues, dealing with those issues and the customer who has PAID for the software and then fixing those issues. Why not discuss these issues with the customer? I would have been more than willing to test anything thrown my way to solve the firewall issues with Windows 7. Instead I simply get tossed aside as in "Sorry, Windows 7 is not supported" and while that is not what this thread is about, it is another issue that is currently a problem with the software.

I'm a programmer myself. I work in tech support currently and ran my own software company for more than 15 years. I have an idea of what I'm doing. But no one seemed interested in working with me to help solve issues. Not sure I understand why ESET seems so quick to discount what their paying customers are saying.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Im also getting that in Vista x32.
    I do an update then it goes Orange. Later in the day its back to green, I've done nothing at all to it.

11. RFCanada

RFCanada Registered Member

*Update*

I left my computer on over night and this morning ESS was working normally again. It was not red and DAT files were updated to current. Windows Mail was also working again too.

Not sure what to make of it.

Regards.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you are having a persistent issue with the firewall module not initializing, try re-downloading the installer for ESET Smart Security, uninstalling the currently installed copy, rebooting and performing a clean installation of ESET Smart Security. When configuring the firewall, select either the Automatic or Learning mode so it can create additional rules as needed for the network connection.

As has been stated elsewhere in the forum, an update to the firewall module for compatibility with networking in Microsoft Windows 7 will be released shortly.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. garryh

garryh Registered Member

I am posting this in any discussion where the moderator says for all intents and purposes, stop using the firewall just use the anti-virus product.

Apparently even the ESET moderators don't believe in their product. This is like the tenth time I have seen a moderator question a customer's wisdom about using ESET Smart Security vs just NOD32. Apparently the message is don't buy our Smart Security package. If you do, turn off the firewall and use a competitor's program.

I'm going to find a way to contact ESET bypassing this forum. I want to talk to the boss and show him or her some of these posts. I want several people fired, like yesterday!

Further, I think all of us having problems with the firewall whether it be Vista SP 2 related, or Windows 7 should post often and everywhere that ESET is a company where the failure to provide reliable software and effective customer service will certainly cost them there ability to be profitable.

I didn't even have to look too hard for who to contact at ESET. As you can see from ESET's own press release the guy to let know that we are not happy is Mr. Anton Zajac, ESET CEO. 610 West Ash Street
    Suite 1900
    San Diego, CA USA 92101
    619-876-5400

I have already printed off the posts I feel Mr. Zajac needs to see, which basically say take a hike. I hope you join me in letting him know of your dissatisfaction as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An application (software-level) firewall is a complex product, and troubleshooting their rule sets can be complicated even for someone who is an experienced user.

The recommendation to perform a clean installation and start anew was given to remove the possibility that there was a problem with the rule set.

ESET's technicians have several responsibilities, and one of them is to resolve issues with a minimum of downtime on the part of the customer.

While it would definitely be enlightening to spend several days or weeks investigating an issue, looking through memory dumps, packet captures, et cetera, most people cannot afford to have a system unavailable for that amount of time, and we have to take approaches that allow the customer to get back up and running as quickly as possible.

In cases of what appear to be a misconfiguration, resetting the software back to a default state of operation often solves the problem, and if it does not, we then know that further troubleshooting is required.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Thank you ESET for your reliable product.
    I am running Vista Business on a Dell and never have had a virus infect my Puter.
    I am running ESET SS 4.xxx.
    I think these people should be a little leery of Windows 7 at this time as it usually
    takes about a year for the Buggy product that Microsoft puts out to settle down.
    They beta test on the public.

I follow the procedure of uninstalling ESET before updating and then do searches
    for ESET and delete those. Then and only then do I install the new ESET software.
    This procedure serves me well.

16. TheIgster

They HAVE been best testing and released an RC to the general public before the RTM was released.

Windows 7 is the fastest, most reliable and most likely the best OS Microsoft has released IMO.

People shouldn't be leery at all.

17. xitrix

xitrix Registered Member

Everybody cool off. It´s just an antivirus (with firewall) :). If it´s just crap buy an other software!! I don´t want to know.

18. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Nice 1st post :rolleyes:

They paid for the software so are entitled to voice there opinions good or bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.