F-Secure 2010 A sneak peak

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Removal in our products are handled fully by our own removal engine and this is true also for the current 2009 version. It is, just like the other engines we have, fully updateable using the automatic updates. Removal of active malware was one of our key goals for the 2010 release.

Patrik

2. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Yep, working on getting it approved. It's not that straightforward though as we don't want to give away any hints to the bad guys on how it works :)

Patrik

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since the beta testing was reopened I decided to try it. I takes a long time to load and update, but that is OK.

I am scanning my system now, and it appears it will take about 45 minutes. I don't know if subsequent scans are shorter or the same. I have liked the fast scan times on KIS.

I have found KIS, Avast Home, Avira (which I was just trialing), and FS all do well on my computer. I also think that the security of each is more than adequate for me.
    So it is a matter of how well a particular version runs, scan times, updates, and overall detection rates that influence my choices.

I have used KIS for over two years (Great), just tried Avast (ran well), Avira ( also ran well) and now FS.
    My previous with FS was that it ran well, but took a long time to smooth out at START, and the slow scanning times. Those things prompted me to go to KIS. I am eager to see how the new version does for me, a less than expert user.

I will be glad when the next AVC tests are conducted. I won't drop an AV because it is not among the highest rated, but it is a factor in my choice. This is a good time to evaluate and change, if desired, because KIS V9 is just out, Avast 5 should be along soon, and FS will soon introduce this new version. Avira is always among the top 2 or 3.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Just another quick question for Patrik - I notice (and have noticed before with previous versions) of FS startup entries - F-Secure Manager (which I presume is needed) and also F-Secure TNB. From what I've read elsewhere this stands for Trial and Buy and that it isn't necessarily needed to run at startup for FS to work properly.

Can you confirm what TNB actually does and is it indeed needed at startup?

Many thanks.

5. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm am sure that I'm one of the last to try the new version but I had little doubts that is was good as I have been a buyer and fan of FSecure since 05 when it helped save the day on my system back than & had always used it on my desktop. I do have to say that this version out shines them all & has impressed me the most of all the new programs so far this year. It does a lot & does it with little impact on my system ( my main machine is my laptop now) it has addressed all areas where others would pick. Boot time is now quicker, scanning is good (faster than Nod that I usually use). It even addressed my one area of concern scanning e-mails which on 2009 version was a bite extreme but as I said I like FSecure so I stick with it. Hats off to Patrick & the gang for delivering a top notch security program. I will now keep this on my machine till 2010 is officially released & I assume it'll accept my 3 license code...

6. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

It is our Try-aNd-Buy software but funny thing is that even without it the trial version works fine and prompts you when the trial is about to expire. I'll have to check on this but unless you have a real need to remove it, don't. It doesn't run actively in the system after startup anyway.

Patrik

7. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

A quick update on the browser plugin for FF 3.5.x. It's ready and already on all ISTP systems but we're still working on an issue where sending the update out to clients won't make FF recognize it as an updated plugin. Some stupid cache thing in FF but we're still working on it.

In the meantime you can try the following pretty much totally untested workaround. It worked for me on a test system but no guarantees it won't break something if you try it :)

1. Close Firefox

2. Open up the file %PROGRAM FILES%\F-Secure\NRS\litmus-ff@f-secure.com\install.rdf and change the following line:

Code:
    em:maxVersion:"3.0.*"
    to

Code:
    em:maxVersion:"3.*"
    3. Find your Mozilla profile directory which is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default on an XP machine

4. Delete the file "extensions.cache"

5. Start Firefox. Now the plugin should be visible and work.

Let me know if this doesn't work for someone.

Patrik

8. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Hi patrik that workaround works for me. Is there an update for web protection for firefox?

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that there are some issues with Firefox. I was trying FSIS 2010 and when I opened FF my homepage, MSN, it was not displayed correctly. The upper half took up the whole screen on my laptop, and I had to scroll to see the contents of my homepage. It happened the second time I started the system and brought up FF.

I removed FS, but will see if whatever conflict it has with FF will be corrected, and give it another try.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I am trying F-Secure through the beta on my win7 box and having never used it before, I kinda like it. Its layout is attractive and easy to use. Scans pretty quickly even on my older box P4 box. The giant gadget on the screen is a little distracting but that is not a deal breaker. My only real complaint is having to set up parental password during set up. My personal preference would be to do so after installation while I am doing all the other setup related stuff. Just seemed an odd time to require it. Not a big deal though. Nice work. :thumb:

11. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Glad you like it. If you're referring to the widget then it's easy to remove, just remove it as you remove any other widget. You can cancel the Parental wizard that comes up after the first reboot and do it at a later time. Parental Control will be disabled until you do though.

Patrik

12. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I like having the widget there it just seems large. Again, this is by no means a deal breaker. I did try to pass by setting up the parental controls but unfortunately my kids were fighting upstairs......well you know the rest. :D

One question, because I have no experience with F-Secure, how often does it update or check for updates. I am sure I could find the answer but I can't waste to much time surfing at work, they frown on that. :argh:

13. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

It checks every 2 hours and it's non-configurable. And then of course you have the in-the-cloud for any new files which happens in real-time.

Patrik

14. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

If you mean ExploitShield it works already on FF 3.x incl FF 3.5.1.

15. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

nope, i mean http scanning

16. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

If you don't mind, please remind me again what the issue was?

17. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I asked
    You said
    And now I can confirm that it works with FF 3.5.1

18. hawkeen

hawkeen Registered Member

are opera and chrome not scanned?

Hawk

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'll try to be careful here ... (No AV vs. other AV policy).

I've been trialling several AVs.

I haven't tried F-Secure 2010 or 2009. Someone reported it to be a resource hog, but that may not apply to 2010, and of course the behaviour of an AV depends a lot on the system.

Have you noted the 2010 version to be lighter ? Especially regarding CPU usage, Windows XP Home Edition service pack 2. I'm on a 5 years old computer.

Does this software have any unique properties that make it stand out ?

20. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

For web traffic scanning yes, Exploit Shield no. The reasons why have been explained earlier in this thread but as a summary it's about focusing on the two most used browsers right now and adding more later.

Patrik

21. ahh

ahh Registered Member

I'm testing 2010 on a HP laptop whit a 1,6MHz Celeron M CPU and 2GB RAM runing Vista.
    I don't have any problems using 2010 and actually don't notice it runing when it comes to cpu and ram usage.
    I might not be the one with most indepth knowledge and tools to measure the usage and system impact, but in my experiance there is no problem runing it.

2010 uses roughly less than 1% of total cpu according to Vistas Resource Monitor on normal usage.

On full system scan the rootkit scan peek usage is up to 15% to 20% of cpu, and the rest of scan averages around 20% to 30% of cpu usage whit up's and down's ranging from 2% to 80% cpu usage.

Please take my measurements whit a bit (or a fair amount) of salt, and hopefully someone else whit more knowledge and tools for measurement tasks might give a more accurate answer.

But my answer is yes it will run whitout any problems on a 5 year old system.
    Unfortionatly I haven't tested the 2009 version so I can't give an comparison analysis.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you, maybe I'll give it a try.

23. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

Hi!

In the video review of ISTP at http://remove-malware.com/category/videos/, the product gets high marks. The reviewer is concerned though about DeepGuard and means that the settings has to be set to "always ask" to make it effective, otherwise it is "pretty useless". I find it to be strong words but it´s what it says. For a user that wants a security suite that is a"leave-it-and-forget"-type of solution, does ISTP stand up for itself? Is DeepGuard as good as some people say or is the reviewer correct?

Regards,
    Joakim

24. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

I'm biased (for obvious reasons) but I don't agree with setting it to Ask every time. Basically what happens is that it will prompt you for every unknown application that F-Secure doesn't know a "maliciousness" rating for, based on data it generates by itself or that it gets from the cloud. If you know what you're doing and can determine a good app from a bad app sure, then it works. But if you don't then you will probably run every unknown app anyway.

For the same reason I didn't like the way the reviewer tested Kaspersky's IS2010 where every unknown application was blocked from executing. While it looks great in testing it's unusable for a normal user where the majority of blocked apps will be valid software.

Just my 0.02 cents...

Patrik

25. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I agree completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.