XP Wireless Balloon Tip

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by risk_reversal, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. risk_reversal

risk_reversal Registered Member

Wonder if someone can help please. I have enabled balloon tips on my o/s [XP] but the wireless balloon tip at start up (which normally says you are connected to ssid and signal) is not displaying. All other balloon tips work fine.

I know it's to do with Eset because if I disable the Eset service [ekrn.exe] in XP Services and reboot the wireless balloon tip appears correctly at boot.

I am running Eset v3.0.669.0. I did try enabling Display balloon tips in taskbar [Advanced setup>User Interface>Alerts and notification] but this did not work + I am not sure that this option would correct my issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please in order to solve this.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I see this notification (not during start-up , however).

Let's begin with installing the very latest version , not using an outdated one . This will show us if it is something present now or it has been fixed.

1) Uninstall your current build
    2) Reboot
    3) Delete manually the following folders with names ESET:

C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\ESET

4) Install v4.0.437 or v3.0.684 (taken from www.eset.com/download) .

3. risk_reversal

Many thanks for your reply. I will image the volume and revert.

One futher question prior to uninstalling the current version. Will the saved configuration carry over to v4.x.

I am guessing that the saved configuration from 3.0.669 will carry over to version 3.0.684.

Cheers

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Export your settings before you uninstall so you can import them after reinstalling.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hey , this is just an update to your antivirus , and it is NOD32 - known to be clean when making updates , installing and uninstalling . No need to waste time and efforts to image . If you decide you don't like it , simply uninstall v4 . But making an image ...

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Perhaps it's the display time ? Just throwing out some ideas here.

Attached Files:

7. risk_reversal

Well v3.0.684 does the same thing.
    I will lengthen the display time and let you know. This is my little daughter's laptop and she would like to see that it is connected at boot.

Will try v4.x later and let you if that solves.

Cheers

8. siljaline

Good luck with it - awaiting your post-back.

9. risk_reversal

Well nothing worked.

Lengthening the message display time, no effect.

Installed v4.0.x. Nothing also.

It's odd, because if I disable the wireless card in "My Network Places" and then re-enable it, the balloon tip comes up no probs. It just does not want to show itself at boot.

Oh well unless anyone has any further ideas, I think that I will probably have to regard this as a bonus feature.

Cheers

10. philby

philby Registered Member

Is your wireless card driver up to date?
    Just a thought...

Have you checked that the Wireless Zero Config. service is set to automatic?
    If you're using third party s/w to manage your wireless card, I understand it can sometimes disable this service.
    Just another thought...

In my ignorance, those are the things I'd be looking at now...

HTH

philby

11. siljaline

12. risk_reversal

Yep. The wireless card is a Netgear WG511T with latest driver v5.2

I am using the Netgear software to manage the connection not WZC. Don't think the card's software is causing the problem and this for 2 reasons
    1. As I said in my 1st post, if I disable eset in services so that the AV does not load at boot the balloon tip appears.
    &
    2. My other offspring also has a laptop with the same wireless card WG511T which also uses the same Netgear driver version 5.2. That laptop displays the wireless connection balloon tip at boot correctly. That laptop though does not run NOD32 but Avast.

So for me Eset is the odd man out and where the trouble lies.......

Cheers

13. philby

philby Registered Member

V4...437 is running fine here on an old HP laptop (XP Pro sp3) with no balloon tip absences (I tested out of curiosity), so I think this is probably an issue with the way Eset is interacting with your particular hw/sw setup.

Isn't switching to the WZC worth a shot?

Also, fwiw, I had a similar issue on a Dell desktop on which no balloon tips appeared at all when the ESS splash screen was enabled - killing that fixed the problem. The s/s must have been throttling the tray I suppose.

EDIT: Incidentally, the change in notification time you made earlier applied to Eset's notifications only. If you want to experiment with lengthening the time XP's balloon tips are displayed, you can change the time in seconds for this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \TrayNotify]
    BalloonTip = X (Time in seconds)

philby

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  14. siljaline

15. risk_reversal

Go figure. As I said previously, if Eset is disabled in XP Services the prob disappears.

No worries thanks giving it a shot.

Cheers

16. risk_reversal

Well would you beleive it. I was going to re-instate the original image that I took and decided to boot the laptop one more time and the balloon tip came up at boot.

I rebooted in case it was a one off but seems to be working now. Why, I have no idea. The laptop has not been used and nothing was altered.

Go figure.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.