Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. adeo66

adeo66 Registered Member

I wish better task scheduling (i really dislike the way it is thought):
    For example, i would have liked to plan a backup every day of the week, except one or two days in the month (this day, another particular backup is launched).

2. adeo66

adeo66 Registered Member

I wish media rotation is kept in consideration:
    For example:
    I do a complete backup every monday (or every 1rst day of the month), and differential backups other days.
    It can be easy scheduled with a single backup media, but for those who are using two or more disks, there are random results (particulary if the rotation does not match a calendar, but is done when the user think about replace the media with another one).

3. slash2freeze

slash2freeze Registered Member

I wish that we could send email notifications using SSL. If it's already possible, then i don't know how to do it and I would appreciate it if somebody show me how it's done. Thanks.

4. christiantf

christiantf Registered Member

Clearer Status Window of running tasks

The Status window of running tasks should be more meaningful:

• Display the name of the running task
    • Display current file information
    • Display path or destination of backup files
    • Make the window independent of the main window (main window should stay usable/close-able when status window is open)

5. adeo66

adeo66 Registered Member

When excluding a folder entering its path, an option for
    "Exclude, but create the empty folder in the backup".
    "Exclude, there will be no trace of the folder in the backup".

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. adeo66

adeo66 Registered Member

additional useful variations possibles:
    "Exclude all subfolders only, files at the root of the selected folder will be kept"
    "Exclude all files at the root of the folder, subfolders and their files will be kept"

7. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Please give us back the ability to schedule only full backups with the ability to keep as many previous full backups as we want/need or have room for. This was a wonderful feature in ATI 10 & ATI 11 using "Backup Places" and "Scheduled Backups"!

I sorely miss it in ATI 2009!!

Thanks,

Larry

8. TylerDurden84

TylerDurden84 Registered Member

My Wishlist (if not mentioned already):

- The ability to add additional network card drivers in case the network card is not found (happend before the last built with Lenovo Desktop PC's) manually

- For BOOTABLE DISK: The ability to mount a drive in case I have a hidden folder (marked with $) including an explorer list.

9. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I wish Acronis had at least one person doing Quality Control.

After more than 5 released builds of ATI 2009 there is just no evidence that any quality control happens.

10. naz

naz Registered Member

A true and comprehensive backup. By this I mean that after reinstalling the image I had to reactivate my adobe software. When using an image backup program, I shouldn't have to.

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

naz,

Restoring the Disk signature ID may have helped you. Adobe is one of those vendors that uses it.

What is 'Restore Disk Signature' in Partition Restore Wizard?
    You should select the "Restore Disk Signature" option if you recover the archive of the entire hard drive to a new hard drive. Acronis program changes the signature by default during the recovery, this can lead to a discrepancy in functionality of several programs. For example, Acronis True Image creates scheduled tasks in accordance with the hard disk signature. If you restore the same disk signature, you don't need to re-create or edit the tasks created previously.​

12. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Check battery state before executing backup/restore

Hi!

I just was restoring my laptop when it suddenly went black. I found out the battery was dead. This caused the back-up to be written only for like 40% and failing. It took me some time to get it working again.
    Although I fully take the blame for this (I should have checked the battery level), what about the idea to let TrueImage check the battery level before restoring or backing up? Or if the power cord is plugged in?

It looks a bit like this post, but isn't exactly the same :).

13. ChrisJenkins

ChrisJenkins Registered Member

Better scheduling and backup cycle management

Compared to other backup products the backup scheduling and file cycle management in TI 2009 Home is quite poor.

When creating a backup job that is scheduled daily or weekly one should be able to specify a start and end day/date. Currently if you define a jon to be executed on Mon-Sun every 2 weeks one cannot really figure out when that 2 week period begins and ends. Even Windows backup can do that...

Also, I want to do something really simple. I want to keep two full backup cycles for my image backups:

Monday full backup A
    Tue - Sun incremental backup A
    Monday full backup B
    Tue to Sun incremental backup B
    Monday - remove previous full backup A and incremental backups A and create new full backup A
    Tue - Sun incremental backup A
    Monday - remove previous full backup B and incremental backups B and create new full backup B
    Tue to Sun incremental backup B

and so on. Amazingly this seems impossible to do in TI 2009 Home! Also, it needs to be done without using the unusable 'consolidation' feature since backup consolidation typically takes many times longer than a full backup.

Chris

14. ChrisJenkins

ChrisJenkins Registered Member

Usable consolidation

The consolidation feature is currenlty unusable in most cases. Consolidating a 300 GB full image backup and 6 < 1 GB differentials/incrementals takes several hours; much longer in fact than creating a new full backup.

The concept of consolidation is great but the current implementation is mostly unusable.

Chris

15. Rogman

Rogman Registered Member

Re: Better scheduling and backup cycle management

This is exactly what I would like too!
    And NOT have files names original-name(n)n.tib - this is really annoying!

Roger

16. Michel Merlin

Michel Merlin Registered Member

Each TIB file should include its program's Name, Version and Build

Each TIB file should contain info telling which Product (ATIH, ATISBS, ATICW, ATISwin, ATISlin, or else), Version and Build it was made with, and possibly, which P, V and B can be safely used to restore it.

Currently I just remember that Acronis warns that a given TIB must be restored using the same program in the same version ±1, but that all ATI archives have the same extension (.tib) and contain no information on the Product, Version or Build used to build it.

Such precision is required to achieve the level of reliability expected from a Backup program.

In addition it would be appreciated if each Build was able to restore all previous Versions and Builds, and possibly, from all Products.

Versailles, Wed 1 Jul 2009 18:26:35 +0200

17. Xelkos

Xelkos Registered Member

Cloning Partition to Partition, without destroying partitions already in place.

Had an instances where I only wanted to copy the Acronis Secure Zone over to another drive, yet was not able to.
    Ended up using a previous edition that was slightly newer to create a new Acronis Secure Zone, then update it.

Would of been much more simpler if Acronis had a partition clone ability!

18. Xelkos

Xelkos Registered Member

Oh, and with the new version of Acronis True Image Home 2009, I wished the One-Click Backup would simply over-write the image in the Acronis Secure Zone on it's own.

Seems One-Click Backup does not want to run in the ASZ if another image already exists, due to not being enough room. Instead, it wants to clutter the My Documents folder to add a huge image there. So, when a user goes to back up their drive again, the image is going to grow exponentially by the previous image being there; each time.

The default path should not be on the current OS partition! *puppy*

19. andromeda9

andromeda9 Registered Member

...Very simply to acheive Mac and Windows 7 compatibility.

i.e. Windows, MacOS and Bootcamp win partition

Acronis would make a killing as the provider of a 'one stop' solution, and (as a satisfied user) I would anticipate the resulting app would work well.

Anne

ps see Macrumors. One of many I should think....http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=739576

20. HJO

HJO Guest

Hi,

Thanks for the great product. :thumb:

My WISH-LIST:

I hope it gets lighter. At least not bigger. :doubt:
    IMHO, ATI before was much more simple and effective.

PLEASE? :(

Thanks.

21. LenaX

LenaX Registered Member

Yeah man, thats it!
    I am trying backup solution for some weeks now and all I tryed sucks - except Acronis! It does exactely what I need...
    But:
    I do not want megabytes of proprietary stuff running on my system permanently in background!
    Well, I understand it needs a "system service". But there is no need to autostart it! It would be enough to run in when Acronis GUI is started.
    I also found 3 (THREE) programs started through registry-autostart.
    Hell ... Nobody asked me. I definitely don't like that!

Maybe I will try an older version.
    Or may I will try to start the stuff through a script and kill it after using acronis.
    I don't want any "scheduling" stuff (I have to power up the external HD first, so it is of no use at all) but decide by my own when run it.

My wish is a lighweight and maybe lowcost simple version of Acronis TI.

(btw. acronis is not the only programm behave like that. Every damn mobile sychronisation tool - I use once a year - tries to install >100 mb systemservices and autostarting applications. This should be definitely stoped. So why not start here? ;-) )

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  22. cnm

cnm Spyware Expert

Re: Clearer Status Window of running tasks

And show a progress bar and estimated time remaining - I really miss those.
    In some ways I like 2009, but still thinking of going back to 11 which has been very reliable for me. (Before that I had something like Acronis TrueImage 2, which was really good).

23. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Please add to the PDF User's Guide for ATI2009 which build it should be used for.

I have currently saved 4 User's Guides in PDF format for ATI 2009.
    Each guide is a slightly different size but no where in the guide does it say which build of the software it refers to.

The PDF guides need both Version and build number.

24. pinso

pinso Registered Member

It would be great if Acronis didn't h Secure Zone at all.

Good feature:
    1.Really like the compression of the back-up
    2.Image Backup in a single tib file
    3.Bootle Rescue Disc:thumb: :thumb::thumb:

Very bad Features:
    1.Secure Zone ( useless , pointless, pain in the a** ):thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: [any mistake here means loosing HDD space for free]:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:
    2.No DVD writing back-up feature
    3.Complicated n dangerous interface

25. pinso

pinso Registered Member

It would be great if Acronis had some kind of Recovery Utility in case someone,,,some how by accident had failed to retrieve the lost invisible partiton after using the Secure Zone. (That would be a bonus)
    :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If something can be done it can be undone too !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.