What is it with Comodo (in particular CIS) that triggers so many emotions?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eXPerience, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

What is it with Comodo (in particular CIS) that triggers so many emotions? Why bash Comodo for the Softpedia-storm-in-a-waterglass, the Ask.com toolbar, the discontinued standalone products, well just about anything? What's so controversial? Why are you (Comodo) or even we (the forum community) sometimes referred to as a sect?

I can understand competitors who are afraid of your success (although it's an ugly thing to throw poo like they do), but I can't understand "anti-fanboys" - i.e. those who are in love with e.g. OA and others, who come here bashing Comodo for various things.

Please do not reply with : because it's crap/I don't like it/*** is much better/etc.
    I would like honest and constructive replies, so that we can perhaps change things in the future.

Best regards and thank you for your cooperation

eXPerience

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

part of being a human, almost anything elicit emotions :)
    that my software is better than yours is only part of the wider: mine, insert object, person, attribute of choice, is better than yours, insert object person, attribute of choice ;)

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Combine woefully underperforming software, ridiculously exaggerated claims and promises, and rabid fanboys who jump out frothing at the mouth whenever people point out that Comodo's products doesn't quite live up to the hype, and you have your answer.

4. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

this should be enough reason. Not merely controversial, but plain dangerous.

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

This along with:

There are also computer repair stores here that do not install any Comodo software applications no longer because of their "sketchy" reputation.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what kind of check is done before an ssl certificate is granted?
    surely the domain should be checked before the certificate is granted?

I once had a free comodo email certificate from MS office website.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The amount of $$$ offered. :cautious:

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Part of the anger comes from lack of knowledge and fear how certificates work and what they do.

Part comes from the fact people feel betrayed, as in they trusted Comodo and got the mat yanked from beneath their feet. This is particularly true for people with higher security skills as common users really have no idea what is going on.

Part is being underdog vs. overdog. People do not like big names and corporations. In their bones, it goes back to old nobility and whatnot. This is why MS is hated and why Google is mistrusted, etc. It's easier to be the weak party as this draws sympathy - and much less flak. By embracing the big corporate tactics (toolbars, little engagement of the customer), Comodo made themselves into an overdog.

People do not like toolbars. Period.

It's become unpopular to bundle stuff with your products, a legacy of IE 2003-2006 era of promiscuity. Anything installed without triple explicit approval by users becomes problematic, to say the least.

Added value - a firewall is a firewall. How much more juice can a company squeeze out of their product and still make it really better than it already is without harming performance and usability. There comes a point when anything extra becomes a nuisance.

That's how I see it.

Mrk

9. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

What is it with Comodo (in particular CIS) that triggers so many emotions?

You're seeking rational answers to a ridiculous question?. Are you an emotional comodo user confused as to why horrible other humans are picking on comodo fans? :mad:

I think the bigger question might be "why are comodo users living vicariously through their internet security?".

People are strange ... when you're a stranger

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

For all these cheap certs, all they have to do is verify the domain name. Other reputable vendors liie Verisign have subsidiaries that do the same thing.

11. eXPerience

I'm not going to repeat the whole story again. But in short terms :

- Comodo sells them yes. But so do verisign and godaddy. Comodo stopped selling them, and lost a HUGE amount of clients everyday (using it for legitimate ends) so they sold them again. They set standards for those certificates and started cabforum.org --> SSL certificates were there. So instead of blaming Comodo solely for that, start blaming Verisign and GoDaddy also...

Ever heard of : "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers" ?

And no : I'm a Comodo Moderator, and I'm wondering why all those other fanboys, e.g. the latest OA fanboy, joins the Comodo forum and starts bashing it. When we try to talk to him he gets aggresive and he finds it's strange he doesn't get banned, but only his aggressive posts get removed... :thumbd:

Well, let's bring this out of the world, shall we ?

You got $15 in your pocket and a domain, then you can buy an SSL cert...
    buying ssl cert is very easy (unfortunately)...

so any malware provider simply goes gets it...

they can get it from Verisign, Godaddy, Comodo etc...

the reason is, there is a kind of cert called DV SSL.. (domain validation).. which means it doesn't validate the entity who is applying.. so if you are a malware author and have a domain you can buy an SSL...

--> Pro's : none , Con's : many

Underperforming software ? :isay: Perhaps you should try your own product against some Zero day threaths. Unless you have something really good, we won't see you back within the couple of hours ... :shifty:

Thank you for the replies, some of them were very interesting, others useless as I was expecting...

eXPerience

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You should introduce yourself, that helps credibility in the long run:

"And no : I'm a Comodo Moderator, and I'm wondering why all those other fanboys, e.g. the latest OA fanboy, joins the Comodo forum and starts bashing it. When we try to talk to him he gets aggresive and he finds it's strange he doesn't get banned, but only his aggressive posts get removed... "

You kind of contradict yourself there ...

"Underperforming software ? Perhaps you should try your own product against some Zero day threaths. Unless you have something really good, we won't see you back within the couple of hours ..."

Seriously, what zero day threats? Use windows firewall, use Firefox, don't download and execute crap on your machine and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

P.S. You're not helping Comodo by this thread, btw.

Mrk

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Yep, underperforming software. What's worse than your over-inflated advertising claims, is how your product steps in and takes all the credit even though it's the user who stopped the malware, while pushing all the blame to the user when malware does get through.

15. sded

sded Registered Member

PM sent so as not to trigger too many more emotions. ;)

16. eXPerience

17. eXPerience

Here you go, search a post where WE blaim the user. Please get your facts straight before posting something like that. This is called bashing. When you put some evidence into your post I will gladly do whatever is in my power to change that fact and to help improve Comodo. With replies like yours, we would go nowhere..., and I will not waste my time on it

http://forums.comodo.com/virusmalware_removal_assistance-b58.0/

eXPerience

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So you're saying that, whenever users claim that D+ fails to block something, Comodo and its bunch of bred fanboys have never said "it's your own fault, you need to add a rule such and such"?

I'd love to hear the answer to this one. :D

19. eXPerience

Notice : I've read my own post (something I always do before I make them public) and it might sound aggressive. I would like to say that it's NOT meant like that. Thank you

Hey guys, I'm eXPerience a moderator at the comodo forums. I've have registered myself there January 04, 2007, 01:17:57 PM. and my Total time logged in: 38 days, 19 hours and 45 minutes. I've got 560 messages in the last 60 days and I have posted 5270 replies which will result in 5.948 per day. I've also created 147 topics there. I've been a moderator there since 6 months. My deepest excuses that I don't have this exact. I'm using there this avatar http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=34135;type=avatar which hasn't been created by myself, but a friendly Comodo user did. (The dragon+shield is mine though).
    Apart from Comodo : I'm 17 years old, still going to school. Semi-professional skier, so I'm abroad most of the times...
    and now I'm going to cut the crap. I think you see how useless this is...

Where is the contradiction ? Comodo will protect you against Zero day attacks and most other products won't. But there are indeed products like OA that (more or less) match the strenght of CIS and will be able to prevent it to. No contradiction here...

Zero Day Attack according to Wikipedia
    Windows firewall ? :ninja: Are we kidding here ? If you would've said, use a sandbox and a decent browser (I prefer Opera if you would like to know) I would've agreed, but a person like you should know that using Windows's firewall is next to nothing.
    if you want to get infected...

I've got a lot of info I can already use. Reactions like yours say enough actually ;).

eXPerience

20. eXPerience

Even though every answer on this one is a bad answer, I'm willingly to take the risk.
    First of all, I would like to say that we were talking about Comodo, not it's fanboys!
    A company can not be hold responsible for what it's users say.

As far as I've seen I can reply with a "yes". I've indeed never seen someone say. "Hey you idiot ! You had to create a rule for that !!! how dumb can you be *sigh*"
    But I have seen posts like : please add this rule and try again.

So I'm impatiently waiting for your reply with a link to a topic, where we said such thing.

eXPerience

21. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

eXPerience,

Trust could well be the main issue as for why many informed people over here and elsewhere do not expect a company who is in fact selling and/or providing security software to provide certificates of trust to all and everyone. And that includes rogue and black hat site owners. As far as known, that's a main difference with for example GoDaddy etc.

Many do regard such a combo as fighting the bad guys and providing them means to gain trust on the same time. It's a combo that obviously is not accepted by those who actually do know what's going on - probably the Average Joe Comodo software user does not know and perhaps isn't interested either.

Well, on forums like these many are by no means Average Joe's. So there's your answer. Toolbars etc. did not help either in this context.

Apart from the above mentioned, people are free to use any kind of software they prefer, no matter what the quality or the lack thereof. And that includes Comodo's software; it's a personal choice.

Anyway, since this thread is becoming sort of a deja vu from an earlier one, there's no need to keep this one up and running. In case there's a need to discuss the technical issues (and only technical!) from Comodo's softwares, feel free to open a new thread on the right sub forum over here.

Best of luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.