Rollback protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 1000db, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

A couple of years ago, I used Rollback Rx Pro on a Windows XP machine. I do not know what the version number was then.

It always eventually screwed up my hard drive. Sometimes I could NOT even reinstall Windows or use a my OEM restore disk. Had to first zero out the entire drive.

I was using a Velocity Micro machine. The time I had to zero out my hard drive before I was able to restore my PC to running again I had to contact Velocity Micro for help. The Tech told me they get lots of calls from peeps whose PCs have been seriously screwed-up by Rollback RX.

On my machine it would usually take a month before my PC got paralyzed by Rollback. The problem was always that Windows would start to miscount my free space. It would eventually see my hard drive as being 99% used when in fact only about 33% had been used. There was no way to fix it other than reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Rollback saved my ass several times and I loved having the program on my PC until I learned that it was responsible for my having to reformat and reinstall about once a month.

check out this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229379

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive been using rollback rx for quite a while now, dont remember even how long, i just remember it being part of my everyday system, it works flawlessly for me using Vista 32

4. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

@firzen771

I see you use a configuration like me:
    Vista 32bit, Windows FW Enabled, Windows Defender Disabled
    Real-Time: Avira AntiVir Premium / Rollback Rx

With Avira Premium Security Suite 9 and Rollback Rx 9.0 I have the problem that
    some system shutdowns do not work - the system keeps powered on.
    Even after enabling the Rollback Rx option lockdisk=0.
    Do you have or know this problem?

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Unfortunatelly Rollback Rx doesn't work on Windows 7 so far, so in future if you are planning to change your OS to Win7 you will have to pay extra for upgrade to next release Rollback Rx.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I haven't used 7 much but if it works as described I would think Rollback wouldn't be necessary. Thanks.

8. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I was thinking about buy license on Rollback Rx in comming promo on BitsDuJour (25th May), but since i noticed that Rollback doesn't support Windows 7 yet, and similiar (the same?) feature is from now implemented in new Windows 7 so I will save some $$ :)

9. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

if u ppl want to get the most of your money go and buy EAZ FIX which same as roollback RX (diifre reseller ) , BUT eaz fix kept drive image and improve it in ver9 , roolback RX some how take it off and sell it like a "new" product

cheers

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

10x demoneye for the suggestion, I give a try Eaz-fix and i like it so far.
    I was wondering if someone knowledgeable would be willing describe main differences between built-in Windows 7 (regards to http://www.blogsdna.com/2039/exploring-windows-7-system-restore-restore-previous-versions.htm ) new System Protection mechanism and Rollback Rx or Eaz-fix (since they are pretty the same app).

TIA,

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

FYI...from what I understand from frequenting the Horizon Datasys Forum, the public release of EAZ FIX has not been updated yet. As demoneye points out it still has the Drive Imaging application included when compared to RB Rx v9. Apparently, the version available to resellers and OEMs' of the product, ie, EAZ-FIX, will soon follow suit.

:D

12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The problem with Windows Restore is it can't restore Windows if it doesn't boot up. Rollback is the only Windows recovery software that lets you restore Windows at boot up if you discover Windows is broken, you can go back in time to a point where it last worked. Its been a lifesaver for me.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Not 100% sure yet, but it looks like with Win7 it is possible to restore from its installation disk at bootup using the Repair option. I say this because I used the option this am to fix a botched linux experiment and I saw the option, though all I had to do was fix the boot partition after restoring the Win7 image using ShadowProtect. The function worked flawlessly - no data or user config loss at all.

**EDIT**

I can confirm Win 7 has far better restore/recovery options than XP or Vista, where it is possible to do so from booting off the installation disk. See screenshots. Sorry about quality; had to use the camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
  14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I found this info from Rollback Rx website:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/217802.ihtml

So if point #3 isn't true on these days (Win 7), then we still have #1, #2 and #4 if indeed this is true.

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It looks like Win 7 will backup an entire partition if desired, though it recommends to an external drive. It even has a scheduler. The restore can be done off the install disk if required, so it looks like this could be a worthy replacement for Acronis or other popular backup/restore software.

Attached Files:

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

1000db, FYI – the two utilities that I use (and can recommend) for “rollback protection” are ShadowProtect Desktop by StorageCraft, an image backup tool to save/restore the operating system partition; and the create/restore checkpoint component within Fix-It Utilities, functionality that is similar in spirit to a Windows system restore point (but is more comprehensive).

17. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thanks for posting,

did you use DVD Windows 7 to get to the repair options after boot? I ask because Win 7 creates special System Reserved partition (capacity ~100MB) and it should be possible to rapair options from this partition i think o_O

On the other hand i remember that when i had installed for example game on my Windows 7 and i did a baseline rollback image, then after installation when i wanted uninstall this game i did a rollback to the baseline and some game's files/folders were still present... that's strange.

With Rollback Rx i haven't observed behavior like this, so Windows built-in rollback feature still doesn't offer the same functionality as Rollback Rx. :(

TIA,

Attached Files:

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Creer,

yes, I used the Win 7 install dvd to boot to the "Repair" option. You may be right about the reserved partition; I'm just not aware of it at this time. I just wanted to see if was possible to restore an image from the dvd, and it certainly looks that way, although it does look for the image on a different hard drive, such as an external one, or off of optical backups.

Win 7's backup/restore just looks to be far more capable than that of XP's and probably Vista's as well.

That is strange. Maybe it only restores data it deems as critical? Who know? I'll have to try this some day once I land another hard drive. BTW, until I see otherwise in Win 7, I still place more stock in Acronis and ShadowProtect for backup/restore.

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I see now.

It looks like information from Rollback website are true (even if we're talking about Windows 7):
    BTW. Today EAZ-FIX saved my bacon... I installed Process Hacker on my computer, installation was complete, but during first run i saw BSOD with information that process kprocesshacker.exe (or smth like that) causes error.
    Reboot didn't help and i still saw BSOD. So i use EAZ-FIX during boot (HOME button) and rollback my system to the previous snapshot before installation PH.

Of course i have also backup image, but it will takes more time. Rollback using EAZ-FIX takes about 2min :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.