ESET Smart Security v4 compatibility update for Vista/Server 2008 SP2

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by agoretsky, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Testing of the new Anti-Stealth module to improve compatibility between ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0 and Microsoft Windows Vista / Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 has successfully completed and distribution has begun. The updated module will be downloaded automatically when a virus signature database update occurs in ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

After the update is downloaded, the entry for the Anti-Stealth module in the About window for ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 will appear as [SIZE=-1]Anti-Stealth support module: 1012 (20090526)[/SIZE]. The update is also installed if your Anti-Stealth module has a newer version or release date.

If Anti-Stealth was disabled as a temporary workaround, re-enable it by opening the ESET Graphic User Interface, pressing the F5 key to open the Advanced Setup window, selecting Antivirus and Antispyware in the left navigation pane and enabling (checking) the Enable Anti-Stealth Technology option in the right pane.

A special thanks to those who provided ESET SysInspector logs and memory dumps. Your assistance in troubleshooting the issue is appreciated.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Wasn't there supposed to be an updated self-defense module also? When will that be released so we can update to SP2?

3. agoretsky

Hello,

The fix was implemented in the Anti-Stealth module. If you did disable the Self-Defense as a temporary workaround for this issue, be sure to re-enable it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. Recall

Recall Registered Member

Great news, seems to be working fine here.

5. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

ok, I have deliberately restarted my laptop 11 times in a row, longer/shorter waiting at logon screen (password protected) and all I can say is it's working as a charm. Hope it will stay that way. Great work ESET folks!

Cheers,
    Miki

6. elapsed

I updated, didn't bother disabling anything, and installed SP2. Although the installation took quite a long time >.< it all works fine.

7. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

one question: what happen with Self-defense module test update (1006)? Will that be updated as well or you quit that?

8. elapsed

I think that will be removed from test since it's not needed.

9. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

So ESET is fixed? No more problems??

10. cyberg

cyberg Registered Member

is it a test update or final update? why don't you release a new build?

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

OK I downloaded EES and it installed. First it gave me the red thing again. Saying the anti virus didn't work. Then I updated and restarted the PC.

The color of ESET is normal again. But I put the firewall in interactive mode but it doesn't interact. So basicly is blocking everything. Plus FireFox reacts super slow. HUM. :'(

12. agoretsky

Hello,

When Test Mode is disabled, all modules that were downloaded for testing purposes should back revert to the last production version.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. agoretsky

Hello,

This is a production update. It is possible, although very unlikely, there might be one or two additional updates to the module if further changes are needed, however, in all likelihood subsequent updates will be for other reasons such as fixing other routine issues, adding new features and so forth.

Other distribution mechanisms may be used as well, but the fastest way to reach affected customers is distributing the new Anti-Stealth module as an update.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. cojms1

cojms1 Registered Member

I'm not sure if I am missing something here. I have Vista Ultimate (32-bit) SP2 and ESS 4.0. I have followed all the instructions here, but still cannot access the Internet with the Personal Firewall turned on. The configuration I am using worked on my previous XP installation so I know it is OK.

Are there any suggestions or troubleshooting that I can do to investigate the issue?

Even with the Personal Firewall in Interactive Mode, Anti-Stealth and Self-defense turned off and several reboots I can still only access when the firewall is off.

15. smalar

smalar Registered Member

you're kidding, aren't you?

16. cojms1

cojms1 Registered Member

After further investigation I believe my issue may be slightly different. I will create a new thread and you can ignore my entry here.

17. elapsed

Basically if you were desperate enough to actually use test mode which I highly DO NOT recommend, you're stuck with test mode. Either turn it off and reinstall ESS/EAV completely, or leave it on. You can't turn it off with no reinstall, you will be stuck with old modules, hence the breaking of the internet connection.

18. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

o_O

Im a still having problems.

19. smalar

smalar Registered Member

yeah, like the most :( ,

that was the reason I asked you, if your question was serious ;)

20. terradon

terradon Registered Member

After making sure that the anti-stealth module had updated, I allowed MSUpdate to apply SP2. ESS was active. SP2 installed without issue and everything seems to be working fine.

21. nrms

nrms Registered Member

How should I proceed now? I have Vista SP2 already installed, two of my PC's had problems with Eset NOD3 v4.0.437 so I completely uninstalled them, and they've been NOD32 free for a couple of weeks now.

Now the system is fixed - should I reinstall from my previous downloaded installer? Will it auto-update to the fixed version? Should I download a new installer and install from that?

Thanks
    NigelS

22. agoretsky

Hello,

I would suggest you try resetting the ESET Personal Firewall to see if that make any difference. Instructions on doing so can be found in ESET Knowledgebase article #941, "How do I restore default settings to the Personal firewall?"

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23. agoretsky

Hello,

You can go ahead and re-install ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.437.0 from the .MSI installer package that you previously downloaded. After it has finished installing, it will download the updated module when it retrieves updates to the virus signature database.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

24. intarest

intarest Registered Member

After reading all of the above advice / information, I have to confess that I am still a little uncertain about whether to proceed with the upgrade or not. Like a (foolish) trusting soul, I applied the new Vista update as soon as the automatic updater identified the upgrade, and advised that I should proceed to install it. However, as we are all now aware, this caused a major problem with my Eset installation, resulting in a lengthy conversation with the Technical Support team, who subsequently logged remotely onto my PC, downloaded some fix files directly onto my desktop, and advised me to install version 3 of the application until such times as a proper solution was forthcoming from the developers. This was about 5 to 7 days ago.
    So my question is, have we now reached a point where it is "safe" to download & install Version 4 once again, or (as it seems from earlier posts in this thread), are there still question marks about the overall suitability of this release in a Vista SP2 operating environment ? I certainly do not want to go through all the pain & aggravation of downgrading to V3 a second time, and as the firewall interactive mode still appears to be faulty, I wonder whether it would actually be advisable to stick where I am for the present time ?
    All help & advice would therefore be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Intarest.

25. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

It's running smoothly on my 4 systems, 3 of which are running Vista Home Premium with SP2, 1 running XP SP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.