Vista SP2 RTM - be careful!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jimwillsher, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

SP2 will be available for public manual download tomorrow, but automatic updates will start only on June 30.

2. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Eset: FYI

I have now had to UNINSTALL 4.0.437 off the SECOND of my THREE PC's because of this incompatibility with Vista SP2.

This second PC had been running OK with Vista SP2 for nearly two weeks, but suddenly today it decided it wasn't having anymore of it. Incidently this time simply rebooting the PC WAS NOT sufficient to clear the Red ALert - I had to restore from an image backup first before un-installing Eset NOD32 successfully.

I am now running PrevX alone on these two machines, and to be frank, if Eset don't get this fixed soon, NOD32 will STAY OFF these machines permanently and I will not be re-newing the license when due.

NigelS

3. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Registered Member

to me it is amazing that they are letting this go this long without so much as a comment here or on their website.

4. Kona

Kona Registered Member

I totally agree. Even if ESET were to post on here to say they knew about the problem and were working on it I'd be happy. I wonder how long this will go on!

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

The last post from an Eset employee was post 20 from agoretsky on May 4th saying they were testing it and anyone with problems should let them know. o_O :thumbd:

6. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

I just wonder if ESET can update NOD32 remotely once fix is available or will users need to download new version and reinstall. I think it depends on where the problem is. Various components of NOD32 are updated constantly, but not the core program itself.
    If manual download and reinstall is required then I am worried about what's going to happen once people start to mass download SP2 :(

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

My suspicion, based upon their silence, is that they haven't got a clue what's causing the problem. Though when SP2 goes public tomorrow and people start hitting the downloads, I'm pretty sure the brown stuff will hit the fan.

Perhaps ESET would like to suprise us all and either a) talk to us and give us a progresss update or b) release a fix.

Who knows....

Jim

8. hclarkjr

you will need to download new version and install it.

9. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I'm sure they have a clue and pretty sure they are working to solve the problem, but it's nothing new that Eset choose to not announce anything before they have a new release. I'm not saying this is acceptable, but that's basically the way it is. If they at least could give an estimate of time to solve the problem i'm sure the customers would appreciate that.

10. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Any kind of feedback would be an improvement. A "we know what it is and are testing an internal version", "we have no clue but a few ideas" "we have it fixed but it's a Holiday weekend here in the States". Anything would be good.

11. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

SP2 is now available to the public here (32-bit) and here (64 bit).

The clock is now ticking Eset....:(

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't fret......Eset will make it:p

13. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

That's the point though, they haven't! SP2 is public, and ESET causes problems. They've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory....

14. Kona

Kona Registered Member

You think so?

We are just about to open a support case with ESET UK about this issue saying that SP2 has been released to the public. Were getting prepared for the mass onslaught of customers who have installed SP2 and will be getting the BSOD issue - lets see what they say.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

O men of little faith, fret not, for ESET is in control:p

16. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

We would have more faith that "Eset is in control" if someone from Eset (e.g. Marcos, agoretsky etc.) would make a public statement such as "The problem has been identified. Expect a new release in the next few days"

Remember that the vast majority of people who install SP2 in the next few weeks will not be aware of this forum and so will blindly install SP2 and expect it to work with ESS or NOD32.

When it does not, it will cause a support headache for Eset.

17. Metallian

Metallian Registered Member

18. ICA

ICA Registered Member

19. UglyChild

UglyChild Registered Member

Just like children, the ESET team will have to learn the hard way in this situation. It will be a good lesson for them.

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

no problem with vista 32bit sp2 and either the .437 or .424 builds. web access & email protection disabled though

21. hclarkjr

22. saint327

saint327 Registered Member

Hi. New to this forum. Long time nod32 user. Have been impressed with the product, but that may change...

Just wanted to say that sp2 update is live on winupdate and is being pushed now. I just got the notification and installed it. BSODs at step3 every time. Eamon.sys is the culprit and a google search for that leads here :) Uninstalled eset in safemode in order to complete sp2 installation.

Was running v4, looks like I need v3 for my x64 system...

Alarms going off yet eset?

23. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

And no warning yet, here or in the Eset page. Well done Eset. :thumbd:

24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An issue with ESET's V4 software and Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 2008 has been identified and the developers are working on a solution for it. Currently, I do not have any information about when it will be available or what form it will take, but as soon as more information is available it will be provided.

A special thanks to those who sent in ESET SysInspector logs to help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

See, it wasn't that difficult. Anyway, you should put a sticky thread about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.