Disable Webguard Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dutchie, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Absolutely correct.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

If it doesn't cause me trouble, I'll keep it as it's. Think about it... it would be the main web-defense even for AVG Free in that case. ;)

3. progress

progress Guest

Search results are not scanned real-time any more, only the pages you visit. I think the search results ratings are now in a database like WOT & SiteAdvisor. I think it's ok for free :)

4. dutchie

dutchie Registered Member

Well, in that case only Avira premium would be left as resident scanner. I don't know but that scares me...an AV only as main defense. Especially in regard to Zero day attacks and drive by downloads.

Another problem is my children use extensively msn live but they have not the knowledge to use Sandboxie properly. And so they cannot use Sandboxie when surfing either. Sandboxie is great but it is too complicated to use for my children.

I backup my files every day and make an image once a week, use Secunia software inspector once a week, use xpseconfig, and do additional scans with MBAM and SAS, but still it scares me, only having an AV in the main defense line.:doubt:

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This makes good common sense. If the web guard is a problem, on any AV, then consider disabling it if necessary, but the fewer apps, the better IMO.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Simple fix. Restricted account, make it so they can only open and do things that they are allowed to. There are many ways to limit things from happening on your computer, without having to have 932104809124 programs installed to do it. I have a AV installed and a Firewall to monitor outgoing transmissions. I deal with security software day in and day out in my job, Never had to have more then a AV protecting it with a good firewall. If something happens then reimage back and continue on with the day. ;)

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Using Returnil is always an option.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Returnil free and paid is an option as mentioned. Paid options: Shadow Defender, DeepFreeze, they can be all passworded (so the children can't outsmart you!) and can be started ALREADY in protected mode, your kids wouldn't even be aware the system is in virtual mode. You won't need anymore frequent scans or antispyware software. The only thing to watch out for are key loggers (buying online) and a good firewall to check outbound connections.

9. dutchie

I've thought about Returnil too, but the problem is: suppose my children download some pics from internet, for a school project (homework), then they still need to know how to recover those files. Then Returnil is too complicated for my children too.

If they would never have to download text or pictures from internet for their homework, Returnil or Sandboxie would be perfect, but since they have to do that, these programs are no solution.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Totally safe and that is all I use. Avira will catch anything without Webguard enabled and the heuristics in Prevx 3 will add another layer of prevention.

11. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I have a older computer as well and I am using Avira with the webguard disabled and DefenseWall. Seems to be working very well with no slowdowns at all.:thumb:

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That wouldn't represent a problem in the case of Returnil (the other too I'm sure but I don't use them).You could just create the virtual partition which stores data permanently and set up the web-browsers etc. to save data there.

13. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I agree

I think too many applications only leads to a slower computer and problems. I remember reading sometime back about how having too many sercurity applications could open more vulnerabilities to a PC.

14. dutchie

ssj100 is am thinking of trying defensewall, since this a white-listing program, instead of Prevx. I choose Prevx because of it's small footprint, good reputation, (as fas as possible for a new program) and excellent customer support here on Wilders.

15. thathagat

thathagat Guest

avira webguard caught every threat I threw at it...but after disabling it and attempting to install a latest pushdo/cutwail (zero day on 22/5/2009) the realtime guard did nothing...zilch..it installed....only the avira firewall warned of an adminstrator.exe injecting a code in vmware.exe and it blocked it and also blocked the adminstrator.exe from accessing the net........but the webguard had blocked access to the site containg the infection previuosly so webguard is neccesary.....and so is firewall.....that's something i learnt....

16. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I agree, Web scanners are needed. AV companies wouldn't waste their time including them if they made no difference.

17. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Just for your info Sandboxie has an immediate recovery option that makes it pretty easy to recover pics, etc.

18. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

The web guard in Avira does cause slowdowns.
    I've tried it with each new version and have uninstalled it every time.
    I now use the web guard in Online Armor.
    No slowdowns at all. :)

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Interesting how everyone's experience with it is different. I have zero slowdowns with Avira's web scanner here. In fact, it works better than all others for me. ON the other hand I've seen some mention the same thing as you. And I know some others with my experience also.

So I don't think any real conclusion can be drawn on it, other than YMMV.

20. thathagat

thathagat Guest

the point is that webguard prevented me from accessing all current infected site/links but when i tried to test the file guard and disabled the webguard...the very first link infected me....well i d/l the file so as to test avira's real time protection at high heuristics...but it did nothing....even mabm did not run on it ...it installed but did not run.....it was a relatively new kind of infection a pushdo/cutwail.....so moral of the story for me ...webguard+firewall is neccessary..............

21. icr

icr Registered Member

22. waters

waters Registered Member

Sandboxie causes way more slowdown than webguard for me

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You are correct.

Here some examples (taken from my WG report file) of the webguard silently working in the background while browsing 'normally'...
    You won't see any warnings in your browser for these detections, not even in interactive mode (hyperlinks below intentionally disabled).
    Code:
    5/20/2009,16:06:33 [DETERMINE] [7686] The URL (http://media.baventures.com/ispy/ads/178x90/178_VIMBY_Outlaw.swf) was detected as Malware. It was blocked.
    5/20/2009,16:06:33 [DETERMINE] [7687] The URL (http://media.baventures.com/ispy/ads/178x90/vimby_178/178_remix.swf) was detected as Malware. It was blocked.
    5/20/2009,16:06:36 [DETERMINE] [7693] The URL (http://bin.clearspring.com/at/v/1/button1.swf) was detected as Malware. It was blocked.
    5/21/2009,18:09:29 [DETERMINE] [10723] The URL (http://l.yimg.com/a/i/mntl/ww/06q3/yodel.swf) was detected as Malware. It was blocked.
    5/22/2009,1:13:35 [DETERMINE] [1341] The URL (http://i.dslr.net/dslicon1.ico) was detected as Malware. It was blocked.

You just needed to add that website to the webguard exceptions (only if you are sure the site is 'harmless', which is hard to tell these days).
    No need to disable the vital WG ;)

24. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well I've sandboxie paid version with defined programmes given right to internet access....start/run access and drop my rights checked...this makes a relative impregnable setup in itself....but the point is that in a long browsing session with quite a few downloads set to be recovered later...i can very well save a malware because my av des not flag it...thus sandboxie is left helpless......but even runining a sandboxed browser with avira webguard the chances of accidental malware d/l are reduced by a big margin....that's an advantage that far outweighs any hit on the browsing speed....even if it that way for how can we really fathom browsing speed slowdown.Is there any realistic test to check browsing speed with say A product and then B product.....?

25. thathagat

thathagat Guest

A long sojourn at the wilders has enlightened me about Hips/returnil/ behavior blockers/layered security/imaging .....but my niece who is all but 11 is a trigger happy...nay mouse happy surfer....that's why anything that's fancy is clickable and anything that's clickable is fancy for her.....so that's why i am searching for a setup that's safe.....relatively quite and non-obtrusive.....i personally have experimented with many a setups so for now her pc has avira security suite v9 and that's why i was experimenting with it in a virtual machine throwing all sorts of malware at it......so as to see what it does if i click all known and unknown bad links.....there web guard performed very well....hence my observation.....i have a router but when a malware installed and attempted to phone home avira firewall was the only thing that was able to block it(it seems)....and even prevented it from injecting god knows what in vmnat.exe.....so a software firewall too is an essential security option...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.