Outpost Firewall Free 2009 v6.5 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by PaulBB, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

On behalf of the site I do editorial review work for (techsupportalert.com) I contacted Pavel Goryakin from Agnitum direct because I too queried this plus I wasn't able to work out from the help file just how much detail we were meant to be seeing in the GUI event log. Pavel has told me that the attack protection in the free version is the same as in the commercial. My queries about the log entries have been forwarded to their tech team.

2. maniac2003

maniac2003 Registered Member

Just switched from Comodo to Outpost Free and I like it.
    Virtual no pop-ups thanks to the auto-learn mode (bit like ZoneAlarm has), easy interface and it doesn't slow me down.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Doesn't work like the Training Mode in Comodo?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would not expect such protection to be in place unless it can be disabled
    I dont have time to make full testings, but as I want to make some checks on the free version for a problem I noticed earlier, I will make some basic attacks/ filter tests on both the full and free versions for comparison.

- Stem

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hey rdsu..

No, I have not attempted any heavy p2p, or any p2p at all yet. I will see if I can do so this weekend, before I go to Windows 7 RC next week.

6. cet

cet Registered Member

I googled for outpost free version to read peoples comments about it,and I found out that on softpedia there is a newer version so I downloaded it.I will check regularly Softpedia for updates.
    I tried outpost firewall 2009 pro version on my virtual machine too.Since I have the free Avira, Outpost disables its features to avoid conflicts and the pro version becomes equal to the free version.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks ;)

I subscribed Outpost Firewall Free in Softpedia...

8. cet

cet Registered Member

You're welcome.
    This is a good idea.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I set up to make tests. Unfortunately with OP pro I have to give too many permissions to my testing applications that are on the host (the PC with OP installed and that is being attacked). This will make the tests flawed. I will have to setup when I have 3 PCs available, which should be sunday so I can setup a local proxy on the host and test via proxy.

For the ARP protection, which is very easy to test. NO, OP free does not protect against ARP spoof/DOS. (But I did not expect it to.)

- Stem

10. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

On a email response that i've got from Agnitum asking if the free version has the atack detection component the answer was No.
    I mean i'm using the free version myself i seen that it's not there but i thought some of the rules ware built in .

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Why so much lies about the product?
    Why this information is hidden!?

If we see the free website it looks like the Free version have the same level as the Pro on checked items...

I don't accept this type of behavior... :thumbd:

12. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Thanks Stem ! :thumb:
    The more is known about the free version ,the better.Users must know what this Outpost free is able to do ,to install and use it aware of its protection capabilities.

13. deadmeat

This is an extract from the original email reply I received from Agnitum.

---Snipped---Refer to Forum TOS concerning private e-mail postings---stem---

It would appear that there is some confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  14. deadmeat

There is definitely confusion!

The day after I receive the email saying it's not going to be tested on Matousec - bingo! it appears there!

Good result none the less, but I'm still not too sure about the resource use for people to whom this matters.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi,

I did look at the full version of Outpost some time ago and most of the actual packet filtering was contained in the "Attack plugin" which is missing from the free version.

I will have more /better details after I set up fully and test.
    I think I can find some time to check the free version this evening.

- Stem

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have no confusion, I actually test the firewalls, not rely on what is said by the Vendor or others.

- Stem

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Most users chase after leak-test prevention which the free version has. For attack prevention, such as ARP/DNS spoofing, there must be good packet filtering (as I chase Vendors for myself), although even some firewalls with said protection are not very good with the filtering and actually block/DOS the user rather than protecting them.

- Stem

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rdsu, tried some pretty heavy p2p (tons of connections with many files at once etc) today and last night in Vista with Outpost Free, and it seems to hold up pretty well. I saw nothing unusual, none of the symptoms that you sometimes see when a firewall can't handle things (I remember Kerio 4.x.x had some big problems with p2p back in the days). Anyway, I think it passed ok.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks ;)

20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Stem:

FWIW, OP FW pro 2009 paid has ARP protection option alternatives. As to how good these protections are I would have to rely on tests I as yet can't do.

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Escalader

OP pro as always had the habit of blocking the gateway when attacked via ARP. But that is off-topic.

If you want to check ARP protection for this latest Pro version, then start a new thread and I can check, as ARP protection is easy/quick to check.

- Stem

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have made some quick checks on the packet filtering, and it is very basic. You would need the pro version for stopping inbound attacks.

- Stem

23. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Thanks for the test :)

So when it comes to inbound protection, windows firewall might be better than Outpost free?

24. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

OF Free also hasn't passed the Comodo Leak Test :( It had 300/340 score.

OF hasn't protected again:
    Invasion: FileDrop
    Injection: SetWinEventHook
    Injection: SetWindowsHookEx
    Injection: AdvancedProcessTermination

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

It works with vista 64 bit but after some reboots suddenly my registry was destroyed don´t know if it had something to do with outpost 6.5.1.
    Could repair the registry successfully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.