I'm lost : antimalware/keylogger choice ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by terryN, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terryN

terryN Registered Member

hi

I spent a long time here but I'm confused

I wanted to add a good (and simple) antikeylogger/antitrojan/antirootkit to my McAfee+ superantispyware (afraid of stolen passw....)
    I was lookin these:
    ZoneAlarm ForceField
    Zemana
    or Prevx Edge

Q:
    - do they really do something?
    - all *almost* same ?
    - any place where they compare them ( but is it possible?)
    -any advice, please

thanks !

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

For ur needs, antilogger wuld suit best, it also provides protection against more than just keyloggers

3. denniz

denniz Registered Member

If you want simple then go for either:

- Zemana
    - Zonealarm ForceField

Prevx is a real cool program, I have a license myself, but it's not specifically targeted at keyloggers.

Zonealarm ForceField and Zemana both work differently though. ForceField is a sandboxing program similar to Sandboxie, but it's feature-set is different to include specific keylogger protection. Zemana I'm not really sure how it technically works, I think it uses a combination of simplified HIPS and heuristic analysis to check which programs attempt to log keystrokes.

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

or if you want something simple & free, use Keyscrambler. This will change any input you key into a browser.

Ice

5. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does Zemana conflict with keyscrambler?

6. firzen771

not sure, havent used both together, only way to know if it will work on ur system is to try them both out. but i dont see why ud want 2 antikeylogging programs active, would be a bit of overlap.

7. Dregg Heda

Just wondering if i'll have to remove one to try the other.

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Keyscrambler just encrypts keystrokes, while AntiLogger is a Behaviour Blocker/HIPS. They different functions and shouldn't conflict.

9. Dregg Heda

Alright then thanks firzen and Emperor D!

10. terryN

terryN Registered Member

thanks all ... I'll give a try to zemana...

PS: attn emperordarius: you're a mac user , I guess, is there any need to install norton Internet security onto the macbook pro of my lovely wife?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

zemana it is very cool cause also protects you againts web cam loggers:thumb: and system protection

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Zemana Is very good at keyloggers it passes Zemana security tests and it passes every AKLT at Firewallleaktester.com.To performe that test properly after each detection and deny the rules created should be deleted for each test this will allow a pop up for each test.

Prevx Edge does well with Zemana Security test if catches 3 of 4 but fails every test of AKLT at Firewallleaktester. Err Even Vista UAC had stopped one of them LOL.

IMO I would choose Zemana to handle Keyloggers but is suppose to cover a wider range then just KeyLoggers.Also Note that Zemana is different then most behavior blockers such as prevx for example,that clearly may say hey this is malware with a big red warning.Zemana is allow or deny minus the big red flag and from my experience with Zemana the final decision falls more on the user as a classical Hips minus being a classical Hips.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

I have to disagree that Antilogger is really that good with keyloggers. Maybe it does well with testing apps, but I threw the Elite keylogger at the latest Antilogger 1.7.2.960, and while it did warn on install that something was installing, it wasn't very informative, and did nothing to prevent the keylogger from logging my key strokes after that.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/jack_black440/1stAntiloggerwarn.jpg

So you may as well just use a free HIPS or something similar because you'll get about the same results as Antilogger in many cases.

Even Threatfire free version warned me with better detail than Antilogger, when set to level 4 or higher on its protection, not the default 3.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/jack_black440/Threatfirewarn1.jpg

Another Wilders poster had similar results with the well known Spector pro keylogger not long ago here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1386833&postcount=23

And Antilogger is supposed to be a anti-keylogger? So far it has done little to prevent 2 well known keyloggers from logging key strokes.

There are many free options (such as HIPS) that will do basically the same thing or better than Antilogger, when it comes to preventing your key strokes from being logged. I wouldn't recommend paying $39.50 a year for a program like this, that in my opinion is bordering on outright lying about what the product is capable of.

14. firzen771

well although nothing is perfect, anitlogger has been quite succesful for me, in all my tests with it, it wuld not allow any further action with the program in question until ive chosen block or allow and has always worked very well for me. More detailed messages might be better for experienced users, inexperienced users might actually prefer the simple and straight to the point messages of antilogger. works for me so i will continue using.

15. Dark Shadow

Well I Do agree a Hips can do the same or lock down from any executable,However the products that the OP listed of them I would say Zemana is better for that specific area of keyloggers.

16. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Just to be fair. Zemana is very good in this specific area, but OA paid blocks all the well known key-, screen-, and webcamera- loggers. I tested it personally against every example I could get and OA blocked them all, including all Zemana tests, of course :)

17. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

I think what bothers me most about Antilogger is they make it sound like it is the ultimate antikeylogger, yet it doesn't stop a couple well known keyloggers from logging your key strokes.

I feel like they're being dishonest or exaggerating a lot. Almost like they want to trick people into purchasing it when it isn't really that great with key stroke loggers.

So if someone snuck a keylogger on to your work computer, while you were away, or by some other undocumented method, you wouldn't even know it's there logging what your doing, giving you a false sense of security, and Zemana's charging you a lot for it imo.

KeyScrambler free version, on the other hand, does prevent Elite keylogger from logging your key strokes. :) Combine that with a decent free HIPS or Threatfire free version and you may just end up with better protection for free. :D

18. Dark Shadow

@ alex, No argument here,OA is Excellent and the support is top Notch.

19. firzen771

dont most companies try to make their product sound like its the best? how else would they get sales over another company. thats marketing...

20. Dregg Heda

It sounds like zemana doesn't adequately inform you of the nature of the threat. How are you supposed to know what to do? Exactly what kind of info does zemana give? Will it be enough for the average user to know what to do?

21. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Spycop is pretty good for anti-keyloggers, it will nail the commercial ones many times. It missed a keylogger on my computer, but the spycop was installed after the keylogger so that could account for something.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Which keylogger did SpyCop fail to detect? Was it a commercial monitoring program? Did you submit the keylogger name to SpyCop so they could add it to their database? They ask that you include the web site, spy name and download location. :)

23. Dregg Heda

Does spycop only cover commercial loggers or non-commercial ones too?

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

SpyCop is a niche market product, currently having 657 commercial monitoring programs in its database. These are the only programs it looks for. With popular and successful AV programs like MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware purposefully not detecting commercial monitoring programs, you can see the need.

25. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Totally agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.