Introducing EdgeGuard Solo Beta (zero-day malware defense)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eirik, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Same problem, i just get invalid win32 application for everything.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Eirik i just wonder if we could get like password protect the GUI for incase of configuration alteration?thanks in advance;) so far so good here it is cool app:thumb:

3. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I suspect clt.exe is located in user-space (i.e., C:/Documents and Settings/login_name). By default 'Drive-by Download Protection' is enabled, this suppresses all launches from user-space, except for guarded (i.e., in the list in the GUI) applications.

In trying to keep the protection lightweight, we do not inject our own prompts when a 'block' occurs. Instead, either an operating system or an application-specific (defined by the application author) appears. The obvious downside is that prompts can be very cryptic and people not realize that AppGuard is responsible.

Thanks. You might say we're going for the 'so easy a cave man can use it' position in the anti-malware space. We still have more work to make it even easier. I hope you all help us identify ways to make it easier.

4. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I'll make a note of that. It may already support what you wish to do.

If you're looking to configure AppGuard for one or more other users, but wish to limit or deny them the ability to add/remove applications from the guard list, or suspend protections, you can edit the XML configuration file. This file resides in a 'Documents and Settings' directory where an end-user without admin rights cannot alter. Administrators with software distribution capabilities can then push/replace these files at their discretion. On the flip side, administrators can use 3rd party Windows Event Log tools to retrieve, analyze, and report on what's happening with all the deployed agents. They don't have to install/manage another management console.

If you're interested, I can send you and others the administrators help guide.

We will make this much simpler for administrators to do in the near future.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

You are right, it was in a folder on desktop. I was just reading about it in the help file. :thumb: (i was too overconfindent that i didn't need to...)

I think you did FINE! The blinking icon is enough to inform the user (at least me) that something was blocked and in settings i did see that it was being blocked under "status" and that's fine!

I think it's on a very good way for becoming very easy-going. I just tested Utorrent and Emule and seem to work fine too! (which isn't easy with many security apps). Opera also seems to work ok. I think it's pretty idiot-proof as it is now and runs very very light! Maybe one thing you could do for lazy people (like me) that won't read the help file, is to put a notification somewhere in the GUI that the 2 directories (user profile and application data) are write protected. A small note somewhere maybe.

All and all, i think it's very nice! It can be used by average Joe with probably very little problems... No strange pop ups, no blocked applications even with p2p (that are complex), no cpu eating! What can i say! It's not 340/340, but probably if it was, it would become less user friendly and create more problems! So, it's ok as it is. It covers most areas that are commonly attacked by malware anyway.

Maybe for those that aren't very observative, you could add an optional acoustic warning when something is blocked... Nothing too scary. :D

I definitely like this small application! It's a valid add-on for any average Joe's (and not only!) PC to help the antivirus! :thumb:

6. Fuzzfas

I decided it. Tomorrow i will change setup and run this little gem with a hips-less setup. Probably together with Threatfire and Sandboxie. Oh, it will be lovely! No pop ups and a reasonably high security level at very low CPU cost! :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks please;)

8. Fuzzfas

Oh, a question. I noticed that you can't delete the "default" applications. I suppose they require special settings (resource access) , that's why?

Because i don't see how i can disable some of them. They will get re-activated after 5 minutes. Not much of a problem, but they clutter uselessly the interface. I don't have 6 of those applications , so they are waste of space for me.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you could set the time to more or less:D

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any screenshots?

Any tests? I wish some one can try against it:

KillDisk
    Some nastry rootkits
    File infectors( like BlackDay)
    Ransomeware
    Latest Conficker worm
    RegTest
    MBR Tool
    Robodog trojan
    SSDT Unhooker rootkits( for example Bifrost trojan)

and many more ...

11. Fuzzfas

It only accepts between 0 and 5.... :doubt:

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i didnt realize that:D 5 minutes is more than enough

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i got it running with malware defender with network protection only:)

14. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I see your point about the clutter. The GUI does not facilitate this as you've found. We will have to correct this soon!

As for what can you do now, download our admin guide (mentioned in the post above with Jmonge). It will show you how to edit the configuration file to permanently remove those items. I'll send you a link.

15. Fuzzfas

Just 3 windows (really simple):

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9762/36057542ky7.png

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9809/21461305ax2.png

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4522/88658270jl3.png

I only did the comodo leak test in the previous page. For real malware and specially rootkits, it's your job! :D (i have no vmware). Or, if you know exactly how they infect, maybe you can draw some conclusions from comodo's test. For example, it doesn't appear to stop hooks.

This isn't Defenswall. It's more lightweight in everything (protection, cpu, simplicity).

I will run the Spycar reg test soon though.

16. Fuzzfas

Ok, thanks! I 've already located the file that can be edited in docs & settings...application data.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

I wish to put it under these tests but unfortunately no time at all. May be later some day.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm....the download link does not work for me.

19. Fuzzfas

I understand. Unfortunately, i don't even have this malware you mention, so even under Shadow Defender, i can't run them.

Spycar's results: when ran through the browser (Opera), all tests fail to execute because opera uses the user profile area. So i 'd say it's a pass for little AppGuard. When downloaded the single test files, and added in its protection list, it fails in all tests (they are all successfuly executed and change the registry).

So, i don't think it has registry protection, but in the case i executed them directly from within Opera, all failed because of the write-protected directories.

Which brings to my mind... Maybe an interesting addition, would be to include some custom directories to include to the write-protected areas.

EDIT : Another handy modification would be to be able to select more than 1 applications at a time from the application window. For example now i had about 10 processes from the spycar test that i wanted to remove and i had to do that 1 by one. Using CTRL+left click to select them all and click "delete" would have been more cosy. It's a minor thing that for most users wouldn't serve to anything, but, just an idea.

20. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

The EdgeGuard Solo results posted earlier generally apply to AppGuard except that AppGuard will stop attacks that depend on unknown executables launching from user-space or from USB drives.

Neither AppGuard nor EdgeGuard Solo intercept RAW I/O calls. So these won't be stopped. Individual vendors trying to deal with these create a very high risk of software conflicts with other software/drivers. We've engaged Microsoft with this to come up with a solution that avoids conflicts.

Fortunately, malware makers are now primarily motivated by financial gain. So, these kinds of attack are uncommon. Even so, we want to deal with them.

Top of mind, I'm not sure which of the above were included in previous tests (one or more by different names). AppGuard will not stop Conficker from exploiting the Windows Services Server vulnerability but would block its USB vector.

Some Wilder's folk have been sending us malware samples (see earlier pages). We welcome them. We don't always have the time to test and post results, however. But, we try.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the site is down from my end

22. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Those guarded executables should be able to launch but unable to write to HKLM and some HKCU keys (run and run-once, top of mind). If I correctly understand that they did write successfully, then I need to open a trouble ticket. Please confirm.

23. Fuzzfas

Unfortunately i can confirm. RegProt asked me to allow, i did. I had included it in the list, but it was written. Confirmed from startup manager.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2888/48164797vf9.png

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6773/90426058wq0.png

You can find them all here:

http://www.spycar.org/Spycar.html

They all ran for me. I just saved them in another location (and partition actually) and ran them after adding them to the AppGuard list. And they ran...

24. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Sounds interesting. Would you mind telling me about the problems you seek to solve with this addition? If I assume, I might miss something.

Thanks,

Eirik

25. Fuzzfas

Not solving problem. Just to "lock" access to "sensitive" directories. One can keep documents there, passwords, etc. I know, i could keep them in the already protected directories. But someone might have more partitions for examples with various things he would like kept "out of reach" from the "protected applications". Just an idea. Maybe i miss something in the whole concept.

EDIT: Just came to me a tangible example. Aigle mentioned ransomware. Say it comes from drive-by and you have "precious" documents in other hard disks, apart from the user profile... Or you get a mail with the malware and you foolishly click on it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.