BitDefender 2009 comments please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a friend who is considering putting BD2009 av on his computer. I remember last year's version of BD had a number of bugs and was wondering if anyone is running the 2009 version. Are there any issues with it? Also, any conflicts with PC Tools firewall/Threatfire combo with BD2009 av?

thanks

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I was one of those 2008 users and yes it was buggy. I haven't bit on the 2009 version yet. Bitdefenders forum was filled with bug complaints for 2008 but they seem fairly quiet for the newest version. I also would be curious if anyone is taking it for a spin...:)

3. gery

gery Registered Member

I trialed it for a month and it was so buggy that i had to uninstall it. It is just a thought:thumbd:

4. progress

progress Guest

BD2009 is buggier than BD2008 :thumbd:

5. gery

gery Registered Member

yep :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Very intelligent dialogue going on here :thumbd:

7. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Becouse this all there can be say about Bitdefender 2009.The product is junk,i would understand if it was an alpha stage,but many months after it's final release it is Not Working.
    So one more :thumbd: from me.If don't have an image program don't install it.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Guess thing haven't changed then. Their first few years they were at the top of the heap in Antivirus products, its a shame...:rolleyes: :blink: :)

9. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I use BitDefender since version 8. I have BitDefender Internet Security 2009 installed on 2 computers and BitDefender Total Security 2009 on another computer.So far I didn't had any serious issues. The issues that I reported were fixed in one of the product upgrades. One was that if you shelduled a task and configure it to not scan the memory the memory was still scanned.

Here are a few that are fixed in the 2009 version:

BitDefender created a work-around for the freezing issue when you want to mount an image in Acronis True Image. Acronis didn't care about the issue I created a topic here also. That is fixed in the 2009 version.

Issues with cd/dvd writers and burning issues.

Also the issue was fixed when you created identity rules BitDefender privacy control will block even if you made an exception.

There might be other fixes as well.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

my friend is using bitdefender internet security 2009 and he he hasnt had a problem with it yet he says, and he likes it.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using BitDefender Antivirus 2009 with Zone Alarm Pro for a month and I have no major problems so far.If I use the behavioral scanner in BitDefender it conflicts with ZAP and ZAP antispyware does not update.So I do not use the behavioral scanner.So far I like BitDefender and happy with it.

12. osip

osip Registered Member

I have BDTS 2009 on one of my setups and it runs great without issues...I like the clear prompts and generally it´s pleasant to deal with...Even if there are suites with higher ranking (which I also have in use) I must admit that BD for me and my taste is difficult to reject... I have the impression that BD 2009 is clearly underestimated and deserves more positive attention.

13. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello cet,

You can try this open BitDefender switch to advanced view if you didn't already have done that go to antivirus high light the shield tab press on scanner settings. Under the section excluded applications press on the add button now browse to the installation folder of zone alarm and select the process needed for update press on open. It could be that you also need to go to the common files folder which is a subfolder of the Program Files folder and see if the update file of zonealarm isn't located there. Are you using vista or windows xp?

Kind regards,
    Niels

Hello acr1965,

Threatfire is compatible with BitDefender. I ran it beside BitDefender Total Security 2008 last year. Commodo firewall is also compatible. Sorry, that I forgot to answer that.

Kind regards,
    Niels

To all who have complaints. Please mention what you find buggy. I can report them to the developers. What I don't get is that you only post in this topic for complaining without given any proof. I personally don't post in other topics that it's buggy before mentioning what issues I had.

14. virtumonde

Bitdefender 2009@zone alarm.Wow .You must be the most lucky person if this combo runs without issues.
    I don't usually write so negative comments but what Bitdef is doing i find it shameful.But i'm sure they will learn their lesson when sales will drop.Anyone who doesn't belive it feel fry to try the product.What i've seen about 5 days ago after i install the av for the 4 time since 2009 was launched.Every 2 or 3 hours if u check the updates it reports that the update modules are disabled or something like that.I don't know if the updates are succesful or not.Couldn't complete a single scan becouse the product freezes at some point.(seen this bug with my current av also)Game mode must be a 'Gui bug"and i think it's real name is "anti Game mode"becouse that is what it does.It kik's you out of the game.In fact it has a problem with any full screen application,i couldn't watch movies either.Game mode or on off it didn't matter.The pfishing toolbar crashes firefox every 5 minutes.I repeat the product doesn't work.Niels appreciate the effort but this things are not hidden they know about them and they do nothing.
    And one more thing.I would not write such a negative comment about the only worldwide known product with origins(and still many friends of mine are working there)in my country based on the experience that i have only on my PC's.

15. matt231

matt231 Registered Member

I have to agree with what's being said on BitDefender

The actual malware removal is quite good just the interface sucks. It's buggy, slow and half the time doesn't work telling you it "Can't access the BitDefender services"

16. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Their detection rate seems good, but the main program and GUI needs some serious work.

I got a free license for BD2009 and installed on a fresh Vista machine, but had to uninstall after one day because of serious trouble:

- On-access scan worked fine, but on-demand was impossible to run. Both contect-menu scan and on-demand from within the GUI was impossible. Whenever I tried to run a on-demans scan the program just hang for a long time, and finally I got a message that the scan couldnt start :thumbd:

- After I uninstalled BD2009, my wireless network stopped working for some reason. So I had to reinstall the driver for my wlan. Very strange. :thumbd:

17. Niels

Niels Registered Member

This behavior is mostly due a problem or corruption the current version of microsoft.net framework. First remove the previous versions with the tool mentioned here. After you ran that tool reboot your pc. Download and install the newest microsoft.net framework version.

Hello virtumonde,

First. I want to thank you for replying.

Like I said the bugs that I reported were fixed.

There was a very large product upgrade that contained lots of bug fixes the build what I am speaking about was 12.0.11.2.

I agree that BitDefender had released version 12 (2009 products) too soon. But when version 2009 was available mid September I didn't had any of the issues on all my home systems.

I didn't tested the game mode yet after the upgrade but I saw an improvement that you now need to confirm if you are out of the full screen mode. I need to test it if that is fixed. I reported that also.

So far I don't have the issue with BitDefender Antiphising toolbar crashing Firefox. In some rare occasions the BitDefender Antiphising toolbar crashes Internet Explorer.

Sorry to say but I don't have seen the behavior that you described about updating issues.

Is the terminal services service active on your system? Because BitDefender needs that service.

The only issue that I have and reported is that BitDefender scan engine got stuck on large .rar archives. For the rest the scan engine works. I now exclude archives because when I don't extract them the content will not able to run.

This is my personal experience that I have from BitDefender products on all my systems is very positive. If that wasn't the case I would moved to another product.

Kind regards,
    Niels

ola nordmann,

Are you using a 64 bit version of windows? Are you using tools such as revo uninstaller or similar products that are monitoring during installation? If so that can cause a corrupt installation. So disable these tools. Was it a branded system? I mean came it from HP,Acer,... It could be that a security software was preinstalled and loaded. Was there any other security software active during the BitDefender installation?

To remove BitDefender completely you need the specific removal tool. If you are using a 64 bit version you need this tool. You need to run this tool 2x. 1 time before you reboot and after that reboot.

Kind regards,
    Niels

18. virtumonde

Here are 2 screenshots.I installed this again now .The first one i'm not even going to comment.The second one when i wrote in the previous comment that i don't know about did it or not update??This happened on every install.The update button is grayed out and it stays like this forever unless i reboot.It happens both on manual or if i check the Gui after automatic update.
    If doesn't even matter if the product has great detection or not.It's Trojan. Vundo.FXR it's IMO is the best right now for this threat but the product must work to catch it :)

Attached Files:

19. virtumonde

hmm.Sry.This is the 1 st screenshot .For some reason i messed up the file size was too large.My request is about the screen in the post above regarding the update

Attached Files:

20. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello virtumonde,

You need to take a look into the history. More specifically the update section. There you can see if the update was successful. Is that button always greyed out or not? Normally that button isn't clickable when BitDefender is installing the updates. In other sections of BitDefender such as antispam,antivirus the default button is also greyed out when you use the slider. You have the latest signatures and engine version installed.

EDIT: You need to wait before the updates are correctly installed when you update by right clicking on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray. The problem is that the the finish (complete)/next button appears to quick. You need to wait till you see the message download complete and both by status and total update 100 %. I am referring to your second screenshot.

Kind regards,
    Niels

21. virtumonde

Thnks for reply.Again like i said.It is grayed out until i reboot.I enter the update module and i see the buton like this even if i don't update manually.It downloads the updates but it can't install them .I'm not gonna uninstall this i'm gonna leave it running for now to see what is working or not.
    One good thing regarding the product update that you mentioned is that i've tried Dep&Full scanning and it works.Gonna test game l mode also again later.
    Btw there is a FP on a counter strike component hl.exe by the Behavioural scanner

22. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I ve reinstalled BD 2009 AV 3 days ago and the present build seems good (less bugs than 2 months ago)and the behavioral finally works properly for me.
    Behavioral scanner has no FP s its just letting you know that an executed file may be dangerous you decide if its on the white or black list, if the game its original(no cracks) then ofcourse its a safe file my dear friend:argh: .
    Many BD issues are due to hard drive problems (incompatibilities between the PATA/SATA controler ,bad cables or for the SATA drives a cause may be the NCQ "feature" with some drives) or RAM agressive memory timings, so untill you check you hardware properly dont talk bull:cool: .

23. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks,I tried that and found out that I had to exclude ''C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\updclient.exe
    Now ZAP antispyware updates without any problems.I am using XP pro.

24. virtumonde

I know i assumed that one of the most popular games was whitelisted by default.And the game is paid.10$ is cheap even for me.Btw with the new change of protocol at cs i wish i would been using the cracked version.

The machine that i test Bitdef is a gaming one.If Gta 4 and Fallout 3 work so must any other product i assume.

25. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Or BitDefender improve and back to reality in 2009 or it will be one more AV like other that doesn't justify its existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.