nod32 + utorrent = dead router

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by napouser, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napouser

napouser Registered Member

so this is propably something simple and already mentioned but since i am too retarded to find here it goes

eset internet security with nod32 3.667 business and utorrent 1.8.1 installed and working perfectly
    no ports problems no browsing problems or anything else

exept every couple days or so internet goes down completely (lan still working) and i cant even access the router
    so after couple of tries i just pull the plug and restart the router

everything works fine again for couple of days (or hours)

friend of mine had the same problem when installed nod32 so he immidietly went back the old 2.7 version something that i am unable to do since it doesnt have firewall. he mentioned that utorrent may cauze "utp flood" or something like that to the router

uninstalling eset security both firewall and antivirus solves the problem
    id rather use eset though its faster than most other products

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Limit the number of connections in uTorrent to more reasonable values. This is a HW limitation issue with the router, not a NOD32 bug.

3. napouser

connections are limited to very low values along with halfmaxopen at 4
    besides this only happening with 3.0667 the moment u uninstall it problem stops

4. doktornotor

Uhm... Am I missing something or have you patched TCPIP.SYS to allow 4 half-open connections?!?! Well, that's completely unusable for BT. :eek:

Not really sure what "the moment" means, you've said the issue takes "a couple of days" to reproduce in the previous post.

5. napouser

some times it takes minutes some times up to 20 hours
    result is always the same 192.168.1.1 is not responding

problem started 1 month ago - guess how much time i am using 3.667

problem occured 3 times within 2 hours on a friend's pc the day he upgraded to 3.667 obviusly never happened before

tcpip.sys is patched indeed couple years now in order for utorrent to run properly and the router never stopped responding with it - until now

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Try using ESET Smart Security v3.0.672.0 with an unpatched version of the TCPIP.SYS file and see if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. napouser

formatted system
    unpatched tcpip
    672 eset
    not detection of unwated apps
    no filtering of most stuff
    excluded utorrent and some other stuff

couple days now no issues
    seems something of the above did the trick
    i bet the tcpip.sys lets see how many versions can utorrent last without patching

thanks for help tho couldnt stand with a different antivirus prog than nod

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You may want to check with the manufacturer of your residential gateway router device. It seems you have uncovered some sort of resource exhaustion bug in their router firmware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. Marcin_K

Marcin_K Registered Member

using uTorrent + ess672 + patched tcp + d-link dsl 524t router/modem and no problem here. same was with d-link 804hv router. as you said, the problem lays somewhere else.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  10. napouser

finally after a whole week problem started again
    fresh system unpatched tcpip 672 eset utorrent excluded from http scanning

and yes every couple of hours boom router goes dead!!!

11/24/2008 7:58:25 AM Detected TCP Desynchronization attack

many of those in the firewall log before the internet down happened

the moment eset was uninstalled things are smooth again !!!

some1 help me plz

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Buy a new router. Preferably not the same model.

12. napouser

spend some time reading the above posts before u suggest something stupid

the same problem accurs at a friend of mine reported as utp flood
    and both cases resolve the problem when eset security is uninstalled

so let me get this straight, if installing an other security like bitdefender solves the problem why do i have to waste 100$ on a router to experience the same issue again?

13. Krank

Krank Registered Member

Setup > Enter entire advanced setup tree > Web access protection > http, https > Web Browsers > Uncheck uTorrent from the list and click OK.

14. napouser

both utorrent and svchost are excluded by having cross next to them
    still issue exists

i might add that issue happens with http filter disabled web access protection disabled , email antivirus antispam protocol filtering and antispyware modules all disabled

also right clicking on system tray icon and disabling both antivirus and firewall doesnt help either!!!!!

seems eset is hardcoded into the system with its stupid system device virtual proxy that probly cauzes the problem

i will leave them all disabled until tomorrow, if without even having security this **** happens again i give up and go back to 2.7 or something

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's quite sensible. If you're using Vista SP1 you can uninstall ESS and install the ESS beta v4 since it doesn't use a proxy if you want to prove it to yourself.

16. napouser

oh yea sorry to forgot to mention that i am using xp sp3 not vista

and no i dont find it sensible to install a beta security software into my server

also forgot to mention that firewall is full of logs like 11/24/2008 9:07:05 AM Detected TCP Desynchronization attack xxxxxxxx xxxxxx TCP

might this be the problem?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  17. doktornotor

Sigh... Your router is a buggy piece of junk, end of story. If any SW can cause the syndromes you are describing, anyone can DoS you. Go think about this and figure this out with your router manufactures, ktnxbye... :rolleyes:

18. napouser

" If any SW can cause the syndromes you are describing"

obviusly u havent read anything before thinking to respond
    the only software cauzing this is eset
    so let me spell it for ya for the 483920th time:

BITDEFENDER DOES NOT
    2.7 ESET DOES NOT
    NO SECURITY SOFTWARE AT ALL DOES NOT

SYNDROMES STARTED SEPTEMBER 2008 ABOUT THE TIME I INSTALL ESET 3.0
    (so wait my buggy piece of junk (and my friends) was working for 2 yearso_O)

is that clear for u?

19. doktornotor

So what? Anyone can install ESET and DoS your router; also anyone can write an application simulating the ESET proxy behaviour and DoS your router. You have a router issue to be solved, not a NOD32 one. Screaming in all caps won't make your claims more true, it's just plain rude. Stubbornly refusing to take issues where they belong won't really help you either.

And as a final note, please stop messing with critical OS files if you have no clue how that could affect you. Those TCPIP.SYS patches are there to increase the allowed number of half-open connections for users that need it (workstations used for ICS, heavy torrent users etc.); instead you are decreasing the limit to a completely ridiculous value.

20. napouser

"You have a router issue to be solved, not a NOD32 one"

and that comes from what exactly??
    from the fact that a friend of mine has the same issue with different router ?
    from the fact that bitdefender firewall works fine without mentioning any dos atacks?
    from the fact that 2 years now i never had a problem ?

"So what? Anyone can install ESET and DoS your router; "

i dont mind other people installing eset. i am sure installing eset wont help u more invade my network

"also anyone can write an application simulating the ESET proxy behaviour and DoS your router. "

why on earth would some1 do such a thing and pause his atacks when i uninstall the god damn thing?

"And as a final note, please stop messing with critical OS files if you have no clue how that could affect you"

i am pretty sure i do know how this could affect me since i am bothering with those files 2 years now due to utorrent beta testing issues.
    but wait since i do not have a modified one atm why on earth a tcpip.sys would be the reason behind the issueo_O
    i managed to isolate the problem after numerus tries and u trying to get me back to square one when i told u again "fresh install" sp3 !!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  21. doktornotor

I've already explained to you multiple times that if you are able to crash your router with an application running on attached PCs, then you have a router firmware issue that needs to be solved because otherwise you can be DoSed by anyone who is able to connect to that router...

Since you plain refuse to listen and sound like a scratched record I'll leave it at that, good luck beating the dead horse here and buy a better HW next time.

22. napouser

what gurrantee can u give me and to my friend that by paying 100$ for a new router will solve our problems?

if i wanted easy solutions i would just went back to bitdefender wich costs me free

what is important atm is to stop those dos attacks from eset, we can worry about everyone when this "everyone" tries to attack me
    or should i say it better running torrents 24/7 is priority 1, security comes 2nd

so if someone knows a way to disable them and still have the basic security features thats good
    changing router is something i cant afford to do atm

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  23. xms

xms Registered Member

Thanks for that :)
    I have been having similar problems since yesterday morning (smart security+vista+utorrent 1.8.1). Not sure what could have caused the problems since I have been running the software trio without issues until yesterday.
    With Krank's suggestion everything seems back to normal.
    By the way I don't have a router, just a Home Access Gateway.

24. elementsofdance

elementsofdance Registered Member

Just upgrade the firmware on the router if it isn't upgraded already, and try!

25. napouser

router firmware wag200g at latest version already 1.00.09

cant stress enough that the problem lies on firewall of eset not my firmware or my friends firmware

nod32 just cant handle the excessive flood of connections of utorrent
    thats why my other system on the network also eset equiped does not rape the router unless i start torrents on it of cource

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.