Auto-upgrade program ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by dorgane, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorgane

dorgane Guest

hi,
    I am very happy to see the beta now despite the many existing bug ( http://www.eset.eu/buxus/generate_page.php?page_id=22184 )

but in the short list i don't see the auto-update program ( example : 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.2 by auto-update)

y is it? she will be added?

thank you,
    Arnaud

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Program component updates (PCU) have always been supported since v2. The thing is no PCU has been released yet since v3.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think hes talking about 3.0.xxx.0 > 3.0.xxx.0 auto updating like other virus scanners.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The Program Component Update (PCU) feature of the program has not undergone major changes in this build of ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0, so it is not mentioned. As the beta version just went to the public today, it will be some time before the next build is released in order to give people time to test the new beta version and report their feedback to ESET.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. elapsed

So you're saying it will be in the next build?

6. Marcos

The option to update program components (PCU) has always been in the update setup since NOD32 version 2. We released PCUs for v2, but not for v3. That's why you haven't received an automatic update with v3. It's not about that option missing in the program, it's simply because the minor updates released so far for v3 contained only fixes to certain issues reported by users. Those affected could download and install newer builds manually, otherwise there was no need to update the program. When a PCU is released, both v3 and v4 can be updated automatically.

7. elapsed

You're joking, right? You make it sound as if you just couldn't be bothered releasing them as updates. Oh hold on, lets make our customers have to download the entire app to update, and on top of that lets not notify them. But wait, you haven't heard the good part, they only had to do this because we were too lazy to release it as an auto update! Ahaha!

I'm not laughing, are you honestly justifying major bugfixes as minor? Look at the amount of times you yourself have had to tell people to "update t the latest version" to fix problems in ESET's software.

I always thought v3 couldn't do this, infact I remember reading somewhere that it couldn't. But clearly all along you're just making our customer experience that much worse, right?

8. agoretsky

Hello,

While some of the bugs fixed by new builds are important, the fixes they address may not apply to the majority of customers. A PCU is released for several reasons, including the fixing of wide-spread issues.

Keep in mind that ESET software is installed on tens of millions of computers. While an issue may affect hundreds or even several thousand computers, that is a relatively small number of affected systems compared to the total population, and as we have seen in many cases, may be due to abnormal usage scenarios or configurations.

The goal of providing a PCU is to ensure all customers running the software have a better experience (improved reliability, security, fixes for issues affecting all customers regardless of configuration and so forth) with the software. When those criteria are met, a PCU will occur.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. elapsed

But I don't see how re-packing a new version and making people download and install it, then tell them to update if they have problems is easier for not only customers, but for ESET too. I can't see how releasing a PCU could be worse apart from bandwidth on the update servers, and even then, it's only because of the low popularity of the updates announcement that bandwidth would be low, because if every ESET user knew, I think downloading the entire app would be more bandwidth expensive than a PCU.

To me it seems like a PCU would be easier for everyone.

Also have you considered the users that uninstall ESET everyday because of issues they are having they didn't know were fixed? I've heard this repeatedly and "update to the latest manually" is becoming an irritatingly common term.

If you consider now that ESET is growing in popularity with the recent advertising etc a lot of users will be coming from Symantec, McAfee etc and these users will expect by DEFAULT that the auto-updater updates everything that's needed. Common users don't go browsing looking for a fix to an issue they might have that you deem "minor", they remove software and try an alternative.

10. Marcos

Believe me, releasing PCU to millions of users is pretty risky and endangers every user. There are millions of different system configurations worldwide so releasing PCU to such a huge number of users without a long lasting testing of a particular build is impossible. A possible severe issue might render a huge number of systems in the world unusable and that's certainly not something we'd like to do even if some of you would perhaps accept this risk on home computers, but certainly that's unacceptable on production systems. Also take into account that newer builds might bring new bugs. Neither Microsoft releases Service packs via Windows update every other month, it always takes much time before such a major program update is released.

11. elapsed

Ok, so is there any reason why we didn't see ESET PCU's of builds that were out a while? I mean v3 has been out what 2 years now? The latest build being several months. Will we see a change in this strategy with v4? I'm not saying don't wait with the PCU, but can we have it at some point in time down the road, so I don't need to tell my friends and relatives they need to update, and know that 4/5/6 whatever months down the line they will be updated to a fully tested and working build?

12. Marcos

There were actually problems in the recent 3.0.6xx versions. The latest one seems to be fine so far so we'll see...

13. santy

santy Registered Member

was refresh_add this modules (from 4.0 beta) to 3.0 version?
    ---
    Information about executive parts
    !!!Update module: 1026 (20081114)
    !!!Anti-Stealth support module: 1007 (20081107)
    ---
    if answer is "yes", then When?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  14. Manu7204

Manu7204 Registered Member

Well, you could at least activate the PCU for the business edition of the v3 antivirus and leave the choice of activating PCU for the network admins.

Or, you could enable PCU only through ESET Remote Administrator Server with the posibility for the network admin to select what specific version of NOD32 v3 is allowed to be deployed through PCU.

15. Gaz25

Gaz25 Registered Member

Actually in Remote Administrator, all you need to do is create a new package and einstaller.exe package for the latest build. The logon script on a domain network will automatically allow the latest build to be installed.

Not perfect, but if you need to fix problems it works.

I can understand why ESET dont roll out regular program updates, but I would have expected at LEAST one considering the time it's been out. I mean look at Microsoft... those dreaded patch tuesdays. Don't want a dreaded ESET patch day haha.. so if it's working and most users are stable they probably see it a bit scary to go and autoupdate.

One thing I would like to see improvements with is detection. It's been good since Version 2 came out.. but recently Avira has taken the lead.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

And treat the home users with less care , treat them worse ? Well , this is not something that ESET does . You may have noticed that ESET home and business version provide the same level of protection and security , program protection feautures , etc . Why should a business only benefit from the PCU and not a home user/users/ ?

17. Manu7204

Manu7204 Registered Member

Erm... I'm not the one who "discriminates" here. Eset does it by selling the so called business edition which supposedly should have more business oriented features then the so called home version.

But anyway, my point was that in a business you expect to have IT trained staff that can test and troubleshot the so called issues mentioned by Marcos as reasons of why Eset doesn't release a PCU.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  18. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

The business users should be able to decide if the newer versions are included in updates, but they don't provide a way to do it, which is lame.

The business version should also have central quarantines and alerting, but again, they don't, which is lame.

Otherwise I like NOD32. :)

19. apache

apache Registered Member

I have to agree with Elapsed.
    As a novice user I would rely on ESET to tell me that a newer version is available for example I am using version 669 and now know there is a version 672 but only as a result of looking on this site. Surely the whole idea of a new version is to fix bugs and then let the users know, I could be happliy using the anti-virus blissfully unaware I have a flaw.
    The reason I have just installed your product is because I was told it was the best, don't let us down !!!!!!!!!

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well you were told right.:thumb:

21. agoretsky

22. Paisit

Paisit Registered Member

I do understand with ESET about the risk when PCU was released. But if my corporate customer with 500 clients or more and they need to upgrade the latest build, what should I do?

1. Do I need to manually install for all of 1000 clients?? and need to do it again and again every time when the latest build released ?
    2. Remote install via Console ?
    3. Logon script?

But for No2 ,3 Keep in mind NOT all customers have an AD and Remote install surely not work for all machines and take too much time also.

Please bring us back the PCU!!!

ps. sorry for my English.

23. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

I am not quite sure, if I understand correctly. Do you say, no major change in comparison to V3?

In the meantime, there have been PCUs in V3: In my log I see them on Nov 24, Nov 27, Dec 4 and twice on Dec 22. The strange thing is: In the advanced settings I have set, that the user gets asked before updating, but I have never been asked.

So probably this option has to be re-checked.

So far I have no PCU in the log for V4, so I cannot tell anything about that.

My builds: 672 in V3 German, 68 in V4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.