Is Prevx good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by truthseeker, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Never mind all that crapola
    If there is a beta/rc floating: lets have it
    Closed circuit testing is one thing...enduser reliability is another
    If not; a simple statement will suffice :cautious:

PS I see CC forum is back up and been some activity there; thats good but some posts...?

Maybe so, but Wilders has been the default forum for some time: MG has struggled manfully.
    9 pages of posts with prevx in title, 1000s of views over 4 years
    This thread alone 450 posts and 12000 views: that aint small change and imho should not be discredited

@CC 15 pages of posts with 1000s and 1000s of views

Beg to consider that many threads went unanswered for some time..:doubt:

I appreciate that there has been change and congratulate you for such: keep a perspective on recent history ok, keep some respect for those who pay the bills.
    You (PrevX) have had a lot of free positive support from users here who have kept the flag flying under some trying circumstances.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The beta is currently closely held and has been distributed to a handful of users. We are waiting on feedback and will then begin distributing it further. The current limit was based on the number of PM's allowed to be sent in one day :D

We are not going to release it publicly yet as we are still doing major upgrades on the server side. Once the upgrades have completed, we will release it - we just felt that we should give some users a taste of what it will be before it gets completely released.

Currently we have asked all users to not disclose any information about it, but we will open the floor up soon, just not yet.

3. Longboard

Too late.
    Care to address my other comments?

4. PrevxHelp

Sorry about that - they weren't displayed when I refreshed o_O

Again, I am acknowledging that our support had flaws. Some posts were left unanswered, and Marco was left stranded in some cases, speaking in a language not native to him.

We are very grateful to all of the users who have supported us during our times of growth and we in no way abandoning any users. We have increased presence here at Wilders, increased presence at CastleCops and a number of additional support staff are now managing our inbox.

We're in the late phases of preparing and releasing a new product, and, like Microsoft with Windows 7, we are rolling it out slowly - first to a small group, then to a larger group, and then we will release it out live to everyone.

We've started to spread the beta around some users at Wilders, and will continue to do so as reports/reviews/suggestions come in but we are in the process of major back-end changes, so, that is the main limiting factor at the moment before we can do a full out beta.

(and, for what it's worth, trjam's avatar is the Prevx CSI Enterprise icon, not the icon of v3 :))

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

gve it a rest longboard. I personally asked, a long time ago to help and for the record you dont know how long that has been. Prevx has made it clear about the beta and it still needs a few things addressed. So they are very close, and if my post started some false tease, I apologize.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  6. Longboard

No problem: I got distracted in the middle of writing the post.
    Cool. Hope that is generating some useful feedback.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No, it would never look anything like that. lol

8. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i guess the OP's question also extends to CSI? my question concerns CSI's rootkit capability. every other rootkit forensic tool i have seen and or attempted to use, has multiple pages for analyzing, SSDT tables, Processes, etc, and takes considerable time for the various scans to complete (for the most part) and if one is not well versed in the alchemy of divining the output from these tools, then one must package them up and submit them to the apprpriate rootkit high preist, who may or may not dechipher your set of tea leaves, and may or may not chose to tell you what the outcome is/was.

along comes Prevx CSI, which it's developers would lead you to believe is as effective, if not more so, than the multi-gunned rootkit battleships most are familiar with. and the allegations are, that not only will CSI detect more, it will do it in mere seconds, without a multitude of tables to decipher, and no gurus. cmon, you guys are selling snake oil aren't you? ;)

Mike

9. PrevxHelp

In developing CSI, our main goal was to keep everything as simple and straightforward as possible. Therefore, we hide all of the technical details deep down in the engine and don't bother showing them to the user. Frankly, if a user sees a hooked system service or a hidden system thread at offset 0x8308B000, what does that mean to the user?!! They haven't the slightest idea.

CSI analyzes all of the information and submits it to the database, where our high priest divination is automated and can analyze the data immediately, returning back what is and is not malicious. However, because CSI is packaged as a product which can be used by everyone, it intentionally ignores things like hidden, legitimate system components (so, for instance, if you were to hide a legitimate file with a rootkit, it would not be found but we would detect the actual rootkit itself).

CSI's significant benefit is the scan process. We have an advanced engine which analyzes the harddisk at a raw level, but it does so in a few seconds rather than minutes, just because of how it reads and analyzes the data.

We are, however, in the early stages of a "techie" version of CSI which will expose all of the nastiness to researchers who can manually assess a computer in the offchance that we don't find everything automatically.

More to come on this later, but, I think there may be some other interesting Prevx news coming this week :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

10. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Scanning all of those things you've listed is just a matter of seconds :)

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sounds good and very advance:thumb:

12. simmikie

huh. so it's not snake oil. imagine that :eek: :D

Mike

13. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Will this "techie" version be incorporated into the new upcoming v3 in due course or will it be a separate "standalone" version? :)

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yeah, lets light this candle and let some fresh light in.;)

15. PrevxHelp

The techie version will initially not be integrated into v3 and will be completely standalone for the early part of its life but then it will be eventually integrated into CSI and v3 (and remain standalone as well).

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmmmm, the Prevx site is down. Wonder what might reappear.;)

17. simmikie

and i can't scan with whatever this is.

oh and a very subtle hint there trjam.

Mike

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the servers should be up soon. Time for a very pleasant surprise. :cool:

19. PrevxHelp

Yes, tonight and tomorrow morning (UK time) we will have some minor downtime as we move over everything (for some excitement tomorrow if it all goes well :D)

20. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Indeed tomorrow could be a busy day :doubt: :D

21. Longboard

Oh. !
    Just as I am setting up my test bed for the beta:
    Heh: just have to 'beta test' the release...;)
    ...dum de dum.. can we break it: we'll give it a damn good shot.
    :D
    :D

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

right about here is where I normally give a smart ass responce, but no, please give it the run through and lets see what happens. Who know, it might even make a believer out of you.:cautious:

23. Longboard

@trjam
    Like you, I've been around for a while: here and CC, always been on board...always had encouraging, entertaining and educational interplay with PrevX vendors and other users.
    Strangely enough PrevX been a fixture here for >3yrs.

I'm a bit of a stick in the mud type.
    Heh: should be an upgrade discount for "length of stay" ??
    :)

Edit: As long as MG is there then might not be all bad.
    :D : hey Marco: just put the rest of the site in da Inglese per favore.

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I agree with you, it is going to get run through the grinder here and quick.:)

25. simmikie

what will get run through the grinder is PrevxHelp. may not be enough levers and switches for the johnnycomelately Wilders groupie.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.