Introducing EdgeGuard Solo Beta (zero-day malware defense)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eirik, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Look to post 13 with EDIT ( today October 14, 2008 ), please.

Thanks, PROROOTECT

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Without having tried this utility am I right in thinking it's a less extensive clone of Geswallo_O?

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

More like DefenseWall, IMO.

I'd like to see another release come out.

4. Nett0pp

Nett0pp Registered Member

Heheh.........

ES BETA installed!!
    Now what the heck are U d0ing in USA? U should be in Scandinavia (EIRIK)

TCSP

5. Nett0pp

Well i cant even se the gui... I mean, i need s0mething:gack:

6. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I was named after the first one from my father's family to arrive in the US from Norway. I've yet to go there. Sure would like to visit. I enjoyed many free beers over the years with people in the US failing to guess (3 tries each) how my name was spelled.

Eirik

7. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I see the similarity. I prefer not to comment on products from other small vendors. Competing with the giants is hard enough without us fighting amongst ourselves. I would be happy to answer questions or ask our engineers to answer questions that enable you all to compare and contrast.

Eirik

8. Nett0pp

Hi Eirik ! Not rich that means in New Norwegian....

I c0me from 0sl0... (wathEVER)
    "U" Tell me this: What makes EdgeGuard Solo different (org) ?

Greetings fr0m l

Alpha-Draconia

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

In the list below, keys are ending on a \, values not, these are static keys/values and would not change under normal condition

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Programs
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRun
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\RistrictRun

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logoff\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logon\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FormSuggest PW Ask
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\Network\

And optional could also protect (as an option for IE)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Extensions\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Extensions\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Main\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Menuext\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Styles\stylesheet
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Urlsearchhooks\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions\

What is the benefit compared to running an internat facing aps with stripmyrights for instance?

Few questions, applications started by guarded applications are also contained? what about downloaded files?

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  10. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

EdgeGuard Solo is a very focused anti-malware tool. It blocks major attack vectors but does not strive to deter them all at the cost of the user-experience. We seek to build something that does not call on end-users to make knowledge-dependent security decisions. It is intended to be a low profile tool in terms of distractions to end-users, disruption of user applications, and consumption of PC resources.

Eirik

11. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Kees1958, I've forwarded your list of registry keys to engineering. Thank you.

These can have unintended consequences that can hinder normal application behavior. For example, Microsoft Office applications may not run when the user is logged in with admin rights and the application privileges have been reduced. EdgeGuard Solo, in this case, allows normal operation but still prevents the Office applications and anything they spawn from performing write operations to protected resources.

Yes, the children inherit the containment of the parents. This is particularly useful when ActiveX controls are involved. In the case of a legit executable that was downloaded, the end-user must save it and launch it via Windows Explorer, for example.

The next release will better deal with downloaded files or 'drive-by downloads' by suppressing launches from user-space.

When this forthcoming option is enabled, the end-user would be alerted to an executable being 'blocked' and would have to add that downloaded file to the 'guard' list to allow it to run. If an end-user wishes to run it unguarded, he/she adds it to the 'guard' list but unchecks the 'guard' box for that entry so it can launch. We will strive to make this easy to do via the GUI.

12. Kees1958

WOW, that is good news for Vista 32 users, when running

UAC with Nortan UAC tool + EdgeGuard Solo they will be protected from the most severe threats,

Please mail us when the release containing downlaoded files is ready for testing.

Are you going to protect the HKCU mentioned entries and values I mentioned also?

Cheers Kees

13. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Our intention is to protect more HKCU keys. I've forwarded the list to engineering. After decisions are made, it will fall to me to alert you.

Thanks for the feedback,

Eirik

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is this software going to be free for personal use when final release is out?

15. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Yes, absolutely.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

17. Trespasser

Eirik,
    When can we expect the next EdgeGuard Solo update?

Thanks.

18. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

We will soon announce a date and features.

19. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

It sucks how we have to manually add everything we want protected. The system tray icon looks bad. And the GUI is just plain horrible. This is the first security program I've ever tried that has a GUI that looks like it was done with the default form images of Visual Basic 6. The aesthetics of this program could definitely be improved. Most importantly, this program needs to be made so it works "right out of the box".

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

dont fret, something better is coming.;)

21. Kees1958

Eirik,

When looking at the user interaction outline and security intention of your program I would go for the following scope of protection

a) Run mentioned programs in a limited user environment
    b) Additionally protect some autostart registry entries in HKCU (Tony Klein has posted a nice round up in RegDefend section of Wilders Security, Entries listed in Runscanner, check their change log, and a google for a document named "where malware hides").
    c) POLICY registry keys in HKCU
    d) Guard Executable file associations
    e) Guard All run*** HKCU registry entries (Run, RunOnce, RunOnceEx, RunService. RunServiceOnce)

What would be possible as an option
    f) set host file to read only
    g) disable a few services (remote registry, remote desktop, active desktop)
    h) guard startup folders

Cheers Kees

22. Trespasser

While Kees's points are technical mine is superficial....

I'd like to see some sort of symbol displayed in the Title Bar, such as in the case of Sandboxie you have a "#" or in the case of DefenseWall you have "Untrusted", which indicates the blooming protection is turned on. For example, I turned off protection, to install something or other but had forgotten I had done it. I then went merrily surfing not knowing I wasn't protected. I suggest the word "Guarded" but anything will do.

Small point, I know, but it's needed.

Thanks....

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Potentially very useful security program from all indications and once some choice additions are made.

Question: Can anyone offer a short list taking into mind this is early yet, of other security apps this is and will be compatible working with in combination?

Thanks

EASTER

24. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Eirik, does EdgeGuard protect against RAW disk access?

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Fantastic Topic!

I am getting really hyped up over this once it pans out.

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!!!! :thumb:

EASTER

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.