Best Media Player

Discussion in 'polls' started by abhi_mittal, Apr 8, 2005.

?

Best Media Player??

Poll closed May 8, 2005.
  1. Window Media Player 9 & 10

11.9%
  2. Winamp

11.9%
  3. Jet Audio

19.0%
  4. DivX Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. VLC Player

7.1%
  6. Real Player

2.4%
  7. iTunes

2.4%
  8. Power DVD

4.8%
  9. Musicmatch

4.8%
  10. Others

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There are some very good media players out on the net but I just don't have any isues with WMP 11. It does all I need.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I use Miro because it's not just a media player. It's internet tv :D
    All i need now is a second screen to plug in and i'm set.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

I use winamp for music and media player classic for movies

4. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

I tried the following: Zoom, BS, VLC, WMP 10 & 11.
    None has the configuration (options) and the strength of KMPlayer.
    No more additional Codec Packs!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

After trying out lots of different mediaplayers i have found "Media Player Classic" together with the "FFDshow" codecpack to be the best one for me (for movie playback)

..and Winamp for music, works great.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I try mediaplayers every time I get a chance but I always return to VLC media player. It just plays everyting . If it is a movie, be it iso, vob or img you name it, then you can watch it without hassle. I dont listen tha much to music but I bet it can play all the types of them too.

7. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Audio: Foobar2000
    Video: VCL Media Player

Why did you have to go wrong, Winamp. :(

8. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

What`s wrong with Winampo_O

9. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I like WMP9 the best

Actually here are my favourites

1) Wmp9

2) Realplayer 8 (LAST VERSION BEFORE AOL JOINED REAL NETWORKS AND RUINED REALPLAYER)

3) VLC -- Plays the most out of any player i have ever seen....

Why is the poll closed?? (I couldnt vote)

10. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Bloated, GUI is cluttered, bad codec and file extension support (by default), and inferior decoders (by default). Also, they threw in a bunch of "enhancements" in the installer such as toolbars and eMusic advertising.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

jetAudio player, which I own for years and like(d) very much has started to phone home since the latest build, 7.1.7.4005. Actually, the latest is 7.1.8.4006, and this one also phones mom&dad. Naturally I tried to get to the bottom of it by asking officials, but no response so far.

Perhaps this is not the best place to say this, but I didn't want to make a big fuss about it by creating a new thread. Thought I should just mention it...

12. ASM

ASM Registered Member

yes, AIMP & Spider... Some years back, I was searching for a replacement of QMP (keep crashing), and I found both via google, I tried them and I just like it...its really good. Till today even with Winamp Pro installed, I still have them either on my desktop or laptop. Still remember Spider don't have the paid version... :)

For Winamp, I need the DFX plugin but for AIMP and Spider... I dun need DFX to enhance the sound quality...

I found that XMPlay also one of the best in audio but I just can't get use to it. Beside GOM & KMP, Kantaris is another multi-function media player, its good but there are still bugs unsolves.

For those who looking for Audio media player... XMPlay, AIMP and Spider is a must try...

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The enhancement would depend on the hi-fi audio system you're listening to. I have a very large and expensive speakers (no, not the shitty surround system, it is an old-school stereo) and I have found that 99.9% of these DFXs grossly distort the sound. I can't speak for Spider as I never used it, but AIMP's "enhancements" are just a joke. Without them, AIMP actually outputs a very good sound.

14. noway

noway Registered Member

Thanks, Seer. So what was the last version that didn't phone home?

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Version prior to 7.1.7, 7.1.1. Here's a Filehippo link as the official site keeps only the latest build.

Cheers,

EDIT: Just an update - I got this phoning confirmed by a mod/admin at their forums, but since he's no official I submitted a ticket to the offical support. I haven't got any reply. Many days have passed. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get an explanation.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  16. Hendry_Budiman

Hendry_Budiman Registered Member

i choice WMP 11 for media player.
    because WMP 11 support amny formats. so i not need to change media player.

17. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Re: Best Media Player Version 0.6.5.

SMPlayer
    Most important changes since 0.6.4:

The subtitles when using the SSA/ASS library can now be further customized. It's possible to select the font, size, colors, bold, italic, outline, shadow...
    (Linux) Now smplayer tries to follow the XDG Base Directory Specification for the config files. That means the now the configuration files will be saved under the directory $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/smplayer (or $HOME/.config/smplayer if $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not defined). If you want to keep your preferences, copy or move the files from $HOME/.smplayer to the new location.
    Added some options in Preferences->Interface to configure the floating control.
    The commandline option -ini-path has been removed and replaced with -config-path, which specifies the directory where smplayer will store its data (not only smplayer.ini).

http://smplayer.berlios.de/downloads.php?tr_lang=en

18. dexyco

dexyco Registered Member

Re: Best Media Player Version 0.6.5.

For audio and short video I am using winamp, it is flexible. For common video files, there is Mv2 player, old, but the good and advanced one. :) Of course, VLC is verry useful if you don 't have proper directshow filters.

19. Mits

Mits Registered Member

New polls are needed for Best Media Player

I think many of the players in the poll are now not popular at all, so a new poll should be made, listing the current strong contenders. In addition, I don't think that the majority of users uses a universal player for video and audio. So perhaps two new poll are required (and possibly a third one, 'do you use the same player for video (divx/dvd) and audio (mp3 etc)?')

+1 for KMPlayer. The only problem it has is that it needs to load/check the whole of the file and thus there is a small delay in playback. KM plays windows media files better than VLC, which is my #2 choice. VLC in addition can play iso files of e.g. dvds, while KM complains. However, sometimes both have problems playing some 5.1 DTS or wav audio files and then Media Player Classic comes to the rescue. My opinion is that we are still far from a universal, versatile and flexible player.

20. RAWD3ALJUGGALO

RAWD3ALJUGGALO Registered Member

VLC media player

21. c2d

c2d Registered Member

VLC media player and GOM player

22. knightrider2k9

knightrider2k9 Registered Member

PowerDVD for DVDs, Media Player Classic for flv, avi and other video and Winamp for mp3s and WMA.

Someone said that Winamp uses inferior decoders. I thought they used Fraunhofer for mp3 decoding, which is an industry standard.

23. faterider

faterider Registered Member

The completely free music-only version of J. River Media Center: Media Jukebox is worth trying.

24. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I recently installed The KMPlayer and it's done a great job playing files WMP 11 can't handle. I also previously used Kantaris but The KMPlayer has worked better on my two PCs.

25. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

I now use Inmatrix Zoom Player Home MAX. GREAT software!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.