Firewall choices for Vista (32bit)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AKAJohnDoe, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

If OA didn't support Vista, how could I write this message ? :)

Actually, current official release doesn't suport Vista, but OA 3 (final beta) does. I say nothing about it passes 100% damned matousec tricks according to my personal tests, I care more about it went more user-friendly and works really great on my main Vista laptop :)

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did go ahead and install V8 of ZoneAlarm AntiVirus ahead of it being offered via the upgrade mechanism. I also did an upgrade rather than a clean install. Other than a false postive (that apparently affected the whole product line, and V7 as well as V8 ), it has been running without issues or problems.

Still, I might take this opportunity to experiment with alternatives.

My short list. Sorry if your personal favorite did not make the list or is not higher on the list; it is my list ;)

1 - ZAAV
    2 - Look'n'Stop
    3 - Outpost
    4 - Online Armor
    ? - Blink (Personal / Professional)
    ? - Comodo

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Thanks, thats good to hear the beta is working under Vista. I only read on thier website it wasn't compatible with Vista since I never used the product before. BTW.. How do you personally like OA? I read alot of good things about it. Right now I am running Sunbelt Personal Firewall and so far I like it and will most likely keep it as my choice unless I load Vista x64 where SPF doesn't currently support x64 so in that case I might need a second choice that does until SPF releases thier x64 support.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I use it for more than a year and I like it. For this year OA changed much and continues to change all the time (this is what I like most). But OA doesn't have x64 support and will hardly do in a near future. They decided to move toward x32 enterprise version. I think this is because x64 market is too narrow for now, while efforts to port x32 to x64 are essential.

5. Atomic_Ed

Thanks for the info on this I did not know about the x64 not being supported either. It is funny the market is dragging its feet on x64 when x64 has been out for years now and even the discount stores are selling laptops and desktops off the shelves coming with x64 Vista from the factory. I really never understood the logic in the fact since the market isn't big we won't develop for it now when the OS market is basically now x64 with limited x32 legacy versions. Even MS said this is the last release of any x32 OS. OSX is all x64 I even was running XP Pro x64 for years now. I know your right and this is whats happening but it just doesn't make sense to me especially when the x64 OS isn't going to just go away or anything and they will all need to bite the bullet and develop for it or face extinction in the end. Thanks again.

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I understand you, actually. But I also understand a difference between short and long investments. You only can afford long investments in case you have a solid base under your feet.

7. Atomic_Ed

I can also understand what your saying it just seems like a catch 22 I guess. Where if your not in a position to make the long investment because of needing firm ground, it also ultimately turns to less firm ground down the road due to the lack of the long term investment. I guess to me in my own logic I would most likely opt for the long term investment even if it meant sloower limited attention rather than waiting for the inevietable to happen down the road. Anyway, I wanted to also ask you other than OA, have you run any other firewalls that are x64 compatible of which you might share some experiences with?

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have not just a single x64 on my 4 home computers. A year or so ago I installed XP64, but found too many problems with the drivers and since then I do not plan to install it again until I purchase new laptop with preinstalled x64.

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I just use NAPT in my router and the Vista Firewall, and my firewall tests always come up as stealth.

But for outgoing protection as well, try COMODO.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  10. Atomic_Ed

I also installed XP x64 a few years back when it first shipped and was lucky my laptop at the time was completely compatible with hadware and all drivers were available so I did not have to deal with that grief. However my grief came in the form of not finding much of any 64 bit software to run on it. Especially AV and security apps and you can see even now years later there is still is very little out there. I can not wait till MS stops support Vista x32 as they have said it is the final x32 OS they will produce. That may finally make the software vendors wake up and write something modern x64 that will run on it. Untill then I am running a new modern tech x64 laptop with an OS thats only x32 and not even taking advantage of what the hardware can do. I might as well have just bought an older x32 only core duo machine.

11. AKAJohnDoe

I used a 64 bit OS before the turn of the century (MVS). If and when Microsoft ever gets one working, I will use it, too.

12. Atomic_Ed

Your talking mainframe computers aren't you? I was talking PCs mostly.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Some Posts from the Server Division of Microsoft say vista was the LAST 32bit OS. so sometime soon 64Bit will be mainstream.

14. drakeman

drakeman Registered Member

Outpost is the best firewall out there.

15. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think the main problem is they (MS) changed x64 kernel in a way it prevents SSDT patching (this is how most x32 security s/w works) and didn't give new/reliable and documented way to do it. While FW part seems to be resonably easy to port, HIPS part seems to be not that easy.

16. Julian

Julian Registered Member

But possible ;)
    Even on x64 Comodo seems to detect any keylogger and so on. Dunno how the made it but I bet it's not the "official way" that Microsoft have imagined.
    Nevertheless only the result counts.

17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I didn't say this is impossible, I said it may appear not to be profitable. Comodo just seems to have a lot of extra money to spend, so is their product profitable or not doesn't matter for them. I just wonder how long will they keep this strange run :)

And yes, there is a way to do it legally in x64, but this way is too different from x32 and needs VERY ESSENTIAL efforts, while x64 market is STILL not that big. If you need to choose between x32 and x64 then the choice is naturally in favour of x32. May be this will change in a year or two, but this year or two devs have to eat something :)

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

When you don't have to worry over profits it can be held indefinitely.

19. AKAJohnDoe

I almost went with 64bit Vista this last go 'round, so undoubtably will next time.

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Yup, "when then", but this situation never can last forever, it breaks thermodynamic laws ! :)

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Guess when people throw heaps of money at you. its amazing what you can do. :D lets not forget as long as people need locks on there sites. comodo has stated it will be there.

22. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using Vista Firewall Control to get outbound control with the Vista firewall. I have used Comodo with D+ but there was a noticeable drag on my laptop. I am also using DefenseWall so there may be some conflict there.

Am I missing significant protection by not using a 3rd party software firewall?

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Good question.

I hope someday to see a learning thread here at Wilder's on how to maximize security settings in Vista FW. Can't do that myself as I don't use Vista myself.

Are you missing something? If you know what security you need to achieve your own security policy then the question can be answered. Here is a checklist to get you going:

AV
    ASW
    HIPS
    FW 2 way
    Encryption
    Image based backup and recovery
    PSW manager
    Virtual

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Have a look at Privatefirewall, though mind you that trainingmode for the first 3 days is enabled by default so you might wanna change that.

25. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Online Armor (free) running very light with Avira Premium and DefenseWall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.