SAS context menu

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ruinebabine, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I installed SUPERAntiSpyware Pro last week but I never saw any context menu item to initiate a scan by right clicking on a file or a folder. Uninstall (even using SAS' Uninstaller Assistant) and reinstall of the program does not cure the problem. I also tried by manualy registering "SASCTXMN.DLL" with no better result.

Here is a screenshot of what I have when I right click on a folder:

SAS.jpg

Could it be caused by the too many items I already have there? I already eradicated some of them (yes, I know, it was a real mess!).

Any suggestion?
    --
    xp SP2 pro

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Do you have SAS running when you you goto use context menu scan ?

IIRC SAS need to be running/loaded(icon in taskbar) at the time for it to work.

3. ruinebabine

Yes, I do run SAS on real time protection mode.

View attachment 202768

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

5. ruinebabine

Well, I already opened a ticket somes 4/5 days ago, but they only suggested a reinstall or a manual DLL registering...

6. ruinebabine

Any other ideas, folks? :doubt:

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It could be a case of the 10,000 other context menu items you are running and products that something is conflicting..... ;)

8. ruinebabine

I pruned the system's context menu, uninstalled SAS, run SAS Uninstaller Assistant, rebooted and reinstalled SAS with no other active security software:
    SAS_4.png SAS_3b.png SAS_5.png

And now?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. ruinebabine

Just want to let you know that SAS is probably not the root of my problem because I have now the same situation after installing Shadow Defender (no SD's context menu item even with manual registering).

Well, I will to continu investigating this, but for now I cannot actualy find where sits the problem :(

10. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I don't know if this is going to work but you can use ShellExView and see if you now can enable the SAS context menu. You can find it here.

11. ruinebabine

Hi Niels,

By looking at ShellExView's reporting window, I don't see any apparent problem:
    SABShellExecuteHook.png

But strangely if I also try to check with ShellMenuView (from same author), there not seems to be any SAS' item on my system!! I don't know what it could meens...

Btw, the best and more thorough context menu tool that I know is Fast Explorer 2008. And it is reporting my problematic handler as purportedly working.
    F-E_2008.png
    Oh, well!?!

Thanks for your help.

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Maybe it can't stand your Windows theme (haven't seen something so fugly for quite some time o_O ).

Seriously, have you tried to switch to a standard, MS supplied one?

13. ruinebabine

It was the exact purpose of the fu**liness, i.e. grab your attention, hoping you then jump on the accasion to also contribute a possible solution :D

Yah, I was experimenting with Styler 2 at the time and my genious idea was to invert the Snaggit snapshot's color (try to reverse back the 2 gold ones to have a better idea of the one theme I was using). The first snapshot in that post expose evidently my inexperience with my new toy SnaggIt...

14. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well LOL :D I was semi-serious though, I've seen all sorts of funny issues including missing dialog buttons, missing scroll bars and invisible menu items with this third-party theming stuff. Sorry, no clue otherwise, the only issues w/ missing context menus I've seen were x64 specific (I assume you are not using XP x64).

15. ruinebabine

You know what, I feel this should well be the right path I have to explore, here. I love to play with TuneUp's Styler module, but you are right about it sometimes having weird imprevisible domino effect. The most serious case would be when someone does not deactivate it first before to install a microsoft service pack: I saw reports of true desasters aiming to reformats! But I just like to live on razor edge :doubt:

I will check this, after the big download that I'm at right now.

And no x64 here, unfortunately, but I'll surely hop for it with next computer build in year to come...

16. ruinebabine

SAS_.png

Well, just to let you know that my problem vanised all by itself with the most recent program update. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.