Getting started with FireFox: recommended settings / add-ons?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by axial, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Finally diving into FireFox (on WinXP). Would appreciate tips on what essential settings and add-ons to consider, from a security standpoint.

I've seen many references here to NoScript, so that's the first one on the list. What else?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Here's mine...

Attached Files:

3. axial

axial Registered Member

Thank you, HAN, I'll check them all out next.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

axial,

First thing is to make sure you are using FF version 3.0.1.
    For security purposes, the add-ons: Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5 and NoScript 1.7.9 are a must!!!
    For minimum recommended security settings, go to Tools > Options, then...
    Content tab:
    * check Block pop-up windows, Load images automatically, Enable JavaScript (NoScript will take care of this).
    Security tab:
    * check Warn me when sites try to install add-ons, both Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site and forgery.
    Advanced tab:
    General sub-tab > System Defaults - check Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup.
    Update sub-tab - Check Automatically check for updates to... Firefox, Installed Add-ons and Search Engines, select Ask me what I want to do so you know what the browser is doing.

I'll leave the rest of the options to you, but I'm sure others will pipe in with their security suggestions.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Forgot to mention that the Tab Mix Plus is a beta build. The latest build for Firefox 3 is 0.3.7.080816 and is only available at the developer's website forum.

6. axial

axial Registered Member

What a scramble, trying to find all my auto-logins for various forums ;-)

So far so good, 3.0.1, about to do NoScript and Adblock.

I also found the advice to enable ClearType so that the fonts look better in FF. [ Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects > Use the following method > ClearType ] -- odd that IE didn't need ClearType but FF does.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I don't know where in the world you reside, but in the USA the EasyList (USA) subscription is a good addition to the AdBlockPlus extension. I recommend AdBlockPlus over AdBlock and recommend against using FilterSetUpdater.G with AdBlockPlus.

NoScript, certainly.

FlashBlock as well.

Others I use are listed on my website, those 3 are the main security-oriented ones.

8. Basic

Basic Registered Member

All the recommendations here are good.

However I find that Tab Mix Plus is to much for me so I would recommend Tab Mix Lite CE instead.

9. axial

axial Registered Member

hmmm, I'm having a problem getting Adobe Flash Player installed; I did have it installed for IE, but with FF it won't install. I ended up uninstalling it from Windows and rebooting, as one of the Adobe troubleshooting pages advised, but still no-go.

I get to the Flash page where it says the download is for "other" browsers. When I click the Agree and Install a little popup window briefly flashes on the screen. Even if I set www.adobe.com as an exception in FF's Tools > Options > Exceptions, this little popup window won't display. The web page says is that it should download the installer to the desktop.

Is there some other FF setting that should be temporarily disabled to allow the popup or download to proceed?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

axial,
    Assuming that you installed NoScript, did you fully allow adobe.com, via the S icon at the RH bottom corner of the browser? Also, on the Tools > Options > Main Tab > Downloads section - is the Show the Download window when downloading a file checked?

NoScript FAQs and Adobe Flash Player version 9.0.124.0 in case you need them.

11. AKAJohnDoe

I ran TabMixPlus under Firefox V2, and ran the Dev Build of TabMixPlus under Firefox V3 for awhile, but ultimately uninstalled it completely and find that I do not miss it at all.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

13. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Not related to security but i always like this thing at IE and now this addon does it for firefox also.Probably will help u accomodate faster.

14. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Maybe the fastest way is CTRL+T though :D

15. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

My addons:

untitled.JPG

Adblock plus with all filters available on the official website, updated
    Download Statusbar
    DownThemAll!
    McAfee Site Advisor
    WOT
    LinkScanner PRO
    Perspectives
    Nuke Anything Enhanced

Others came up with other applications.

16. axial

axial Registered Member

WOW, I have to say I'm very, very pleased with FF so far, and with the excellent advice from folks here it's only going to get better and better.

Slowly working my way through the suggested add-ons list. Got the Flash installer figured out -- <embarrassed admission> it was actually downloading so fast that the download window closed immediately, and as I was clicking on a button that said "install now" (or similar) I thought I would get some sort of a dialog, it never occurred to me that the download was going where it should go. So after getting rid of the 9 duplicate downloads, I'm good to go <g>

As a Netscape hold-out for many long moons before I bowed to the inevitability of IE, it feels =really= good to be out of the shadow again and to have a wealth of good security options easily available is fantastic.

17. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Keyscrambler. Provides keylogger protection.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. axial

axial Registered Member

JRViejo, thank you for the reminder -- you're right, that is exactly what prompted me to take another look at FireFox.

As most of us here probably do, I lead a small "parade" of friends and family members in most things computer related, and it's long past time to get us all "more secure". Thankfully this Wilders-inspired caution / paranoia is a positive affliction!

20. axial

axial Registered Member

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

axial, have you noticed if your AV works in conjunction with FF to scan downloads? Try downloading something sizeable to see if it's happening. That's a new Security Feature on FF 3.0 and my AVG scans each & every download!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  22. AKAJohnDoe

There's an about:config tweak to change how that happens in Firefox V3. It is described here.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

AKAJohnDoe, that's an excellent point to make! Although it is set to True by default, if an AV starts hanging up on a download, an about:config tweak is the only way to go. Thanks for posting the link. Very helpful for Wilders' visitors and readers of this post!

24. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I have been using AdBlockPlus for a long time but I'm still a bit confused by the different colors that are used in the filters.

What does it mean when f.e. '@@$stylesheet' is displayed in green in the filterlist?
    And what does it mean when elements are displayed in blue or black?

25. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Here are the add-ons I use...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.