How do I remove all traces of MBAM?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisP, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have MBAM Pro. I have uninstalled it before, but when I install it again, it is registered and remembers all the FPs etc. How do I remove all traces of this application from my PC?

Cheers,

Chris

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

1) Delete: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    2) search your pc (in hidden files) for malwarebytes and delete the folders

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I doubt if MBAM sets itself this really deep in this registry key zone. If it does i haven't seen it yet, but some antimalware apps go here and the only way to remove them is to right click on their LEGACY key and change permissions in order to delete them off the registry safely and completely.

Their no threat really after uninstall, just useless wasted space by then, but if you like a picture clean registry like i do, i perform houskeeping in this sealed zone on occasion when needed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root = LEGACY (name) drivers!

4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Try Revo uninstaller , advanced mode

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i suggest that you not remove it to begin with

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

If you wish to remove all traces of a given application, you may try these:

(1) a third party uninstaller (such as yours uninstaller pro)
    (2) manually scan(search) all traces of that given app (such as Registry crawler; Registrar Registry Manager pro), then delete them one by one, if you are capable of doing it.
    (3) reboot.

These work for me many times.

7. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

the FPs may be in this file:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ignore.dat

Cheers

8. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hello everybody,

# Chrome sturmen : of course - I am of agreement with you to 100 % !

And other's also surely ... then ...

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Thanks Elite. I used regedit to delete the section and used windows search to find all the MBAM folders, then used Evidence Eliminator to securely delete them. Also used regsupreme to search for malwarebytes and deleted the remaining reg entries.

Finally removed all traces of this app!

10. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Not for nothing next time you may wish to try revo uninstaller, it will locate and allow you to delete all traces

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have installed Revo and will use it next time so I can get rid of apps like MBAM.

12. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I don't think this is true.While I don't know what traces MBAM leaves,but from what i've seen no 3rd party uninstall tool,sometimes not even the manufacters cleaning utility will remove the Legacy keys,that Easter mentioned.You have to do that manually.If anybody knows one please tell me.
    I think an app that finds the keys it's more helpful in this cases.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Hiker already told you. The beauty of Revo Uninstaller (in Advanced mode, if you know your way around the Registry), is that it will remove ALL traces of a program and here's how:

The key to removing ALL traces is not to allow the program's own uninstaller to reboot when asked. Just cancel the reboot and allow Revo to search for any leftovers. You will have the chance to review each step of the way but a word of warning: you need to know what you are doing with the Registry. After removal, then reboot your PC.

Next time you need to remove a program, try Revo... you'll like it!

14. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I know how revo works,i used previous versions.Like i mentioned i tryed them,revo,total uninstall,your uninstaller,almost all.Not even Total Uninstall which IMO is the most advanced tool in this class,far superior to revo and with the install monitor module enabled can't remove the legacy keys,although total uninstall finds the most traces,and does the best job IMO.
    Unless i mistake and something changed,revo doesn't have a installtion monitor.How can it tell what keys ware created??Becouse it writes so on it's page!
    I think a registry snapshot before and after the installation(since we are talking about security apps with drivers the snapshot will have to be after reboot)will do the job.
    The registry snapshot and advanced search can be done with freeware,i hope i'm not advertising TU,even if i like it i don't use it ,and don't want to spend money on something that i belive can be done with free apps also.and it's not like i'm uninstalling security apps everyday.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Looks like you might have tried very old versions of Revo, because the newer version 1.71 will show you exactly where and what registry keys need removal. That's why I said, use it the next time you need to remove a program. BTW, for anyone else reading this thread, it's FREE and also comes in a Portable Version.

I agree 100% and Regshot, an open-source and FREE registry compare utility, does a good job as well.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

LEGACY keys are PERMISSION altering, and most cannot be deleted with any app i know of either, at least not automated.

If Revo Uninstaller can change permissions on them, by all means post us your results. I haven't tried it myself. I have perhaps the very best Registry finder/deleter ever made by 4Developers in RegCrawler, this app is what i've used for years to QUICKLY find rogue or unused keys and such and delete them. It allows to jump directly to the entry in question for examination in REGEDIT and thereby let you check the permissions on that particular LEGACY key and reset it (of course manually) for deleting if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.