Newbie questions about Spyware Blaster 4.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by bloomcounty, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Hi,

I'm presently using AVG Free 7.5 A/V, A/S, and Anti-Rootkit. I have Windows XP Home SP2. I'm going to be updating to AVG 8.0 Free at the end of the month. And I'm going to be ditching Spybot (I still have 1.4 installed), and would like to go with Spyware Blaster 4.1 instead. So I have a number of questions about it because I'm always worried/paranoid about installing new software and not messing anything up (or causing compatibility issues, etc.). :)

1. Any tips/instructions on installation/set-up/settings? I saw this excellent guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial49.html (but it's outdated). Is there a newer one or other steps/things to consider?

2. Any compatibility issues with anything in general, or any of the following specifically?

Windows XP Home SP2
    AVG 8.0 Free (have those all been addressed by AVG?)
    ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001
    SuperAntispyware 4.15.1000
    AdAware SE Free 1.06r1
    Firefox 2.0.0.16 (I use this now)
    Firefox 3.x (for future reference -- will upgrade in December)
    IE 6.5 (used only for Windows Updates -- set for "High" security level with cookies off, except for Windows Update listed as safe site with Medium setting)

3. How easily does it uninstall, if ever needed? Cleanly and completely? Cause issues with anything else? How firmly embedded?

4. If your IE settings are already set to High and set to not allow Active X or cookies (except for Windows Update), should you still enable both the Active X and cookies protection? I'm guessing yes, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't do anything "bad" or contrary if you have those things set that way already? Same with Firefox... if I already have cookies turned off, does it do the opposite or something contrary if I also use the Firefox cookie protection in Spyware Blaster?

5. Does the program itself uses Java? I actually don't have Java installed on my computer... (Never had any need for it...) I only ask because the company is "Javacool". :) (Sorry if that's a dumb question!)

6. What about the snapshot thing? Is that just the same as a system restore point? Any reason to do this?

7. Anything else I should know?

Thanks for fielding these newbie questions! :thumb:

2. bloomcounty

Any help with any of this? Javacool? Anybody?

Thanks!

:thumb:

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

My apologies for the delay.

Not a problem - answers follow below. :)

1. Installation & Setup Tips

It really couldn't be easier:
    1.) Install SpywareBlaster
    2.) Check for the latest updates
    3.) Enable All Protection

You can then explore the rest of the features the program offers, and the finer-grained control, if you'd like. :)

2. Compatibility

SpywareBlaster works great with other reputable security and privacy applications, including anti-virus, anti-trojan, and even other anti-spyware programs. There's no such thing as a 100% effective solution, and SpywareBlaster was designed from day one to be a compatible, effective part of any security setup you may want to configure.

3. Uninstall

Just open SpywareBlaster, and then click "Disable All Protection". That's it - all protection is removed. :)

If you want to remove the program itself (even though it isn't doing anything if you've disabled all protection), you can do so via Add/Remove programs.

4. High Security Browser Configuration + SpywareBlaster

SpywareBlaster only enhances your security. Even if you have manually tightened things up in your browsers, it can't hurt to enable SpywareBlaster. :)

5. Requirements

The only requirements for SpywareBlaster are a compatible version of Windows (98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Vista), and the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 run-times, which are included by default on most PCs and most recent versions of Windows.

6. System Snapshot vs. Windows' built-in System Restore

SpywareBlaster System Snapshot backs up and restores settings frequently used by programs to insert themselves into / hijack your browser or system. It also displays a list of what's changed, so you can selectively restore certain entries.

So unlike Windows' built-in System Restore, which is a whole system restore back to a previous point, SpywareBlaster's System Snapshot lets you restore just changes potentially made in those key areas, keeping your documents, recently installed programs, etc. intact.

Lots of information about our products is available in our online knowledgebase:
    https://www.javacoolsoftware.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view

But if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask - that's why these forums are here. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. bloomcounty

Thanks, Javacool! I'll be back if I think of anything else (and can't find the answer). :thumb:

(Couple more follow-ups -- see below...)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  5. bloomcounty

AVG 8.0 Free and Spyware Blaster 4.1

Javacool -- Does AVG 8.0 Free and Spyware Blaster 4.1 play nice together now 100%?

Also, is it better to install AVG 8.0 Free before installing Spyware Blaster 4.1, or vice-versa? Or does it not matter?

Thanks again!

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re: AVG 8.0 Free and Spyware Blaster 4.1

I do believe that AVG has now pushed out updates to fix the false-positive detections it was having on parts of SpywareBlaster's protection. (This was actually being caused by a bug in AVG's scan engine, apparently.)

So assuming you downloaded the latest version of AVG from their site, you shouldn't encounter that previous bug on AVG's part.

It shouldn't matter. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.