Norton 2009 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Build 110 is out.
    And i cant notice anything different. Still, Great and Fast,

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Actually, there is a major problem that was not present in prior builds. The virus definitions are not updating at all, and there are other remaining bugs which is expected- the inability to update is not. I would uninstall until a new build comes out this week which will allow definitions to update.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just read the release notes. build 110 fixes
    Unable to boot back up after installing the software.
    - Unable to boot back up after installing the software.

- Phishing Protection says it needs to be fixed constantly.

- Popup Notifications on the bottom right of the screen do not automatically disappear.

- Intrusion Prevention False Positives when browsing some sites.

will test it tomorrow now the reboot issue is fixed.

4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I finally gave up on NIS on the last machine that had it. There's still too many open 64 bit platform issues within 2009 (never mind 200:cool:. I understand its beta software and I have no doubt this is going to be excellent for 32 bit systems - But they confirmed there is no fix forthcoming for contextual scans.

I know its Symantec, but I can't trust a security package that can't even get that setup in my OS.

5. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

I've just tried build 111 today and it still got the problem with updates. I think I'll wait until it goes final. Until then I'll stick to another nice product. :)

Cheers

6. Bunkhouse Buck

111? it isn't out yet.

7. JasSolo

Have you locked in via et.symantec.com? It's there.

Cheers

8. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Anyone know if NAV 2009 contains new behaviour blocking that obsoletes the need for running Norton Anti-bot separately? I'm thinking about the Sonar stuff...

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it was available to testers sunday but I'm tired of the same broken stuff that I sorta gave up on it, it tears up my baseball game very time I install it so off it goes immediately...IMO there is just too much over kill in the security sector with these new suites, they do everything but what they are suppose to...

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Ya, that is why I use Windows XP firewall and Dr. Web. I have had no malware in 26 years of computing and have Acronis to restore to clean point if I do, so loading up your computer with the overkills is unnecessary- at least for me.

Many people here are paranoid and do not think of alternatives to weighting down your computer. You don't need much.

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm happy to inform you that the Update problem is fixed. There was a problem with LiveUpdate/Streaming Updates. Lots of talk about it at the Norton Beta forum. Updates were up to 5 days old. I turned on my computer about 20 minutes ago, and updates showed they were still 5 day old. I did a manual update, it updated, and I was told to do a restart. After restart, updates were still 5 days old. I did another manual update, and definitions were up to date. The streaming updates are again working like it should.

I'm running NIS 2009 build 110. I didn't see anything at the beta forums about a build 111. Anyway, except for that update problem, I am very impressed with this new NIS.

12. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

110 is the main public beta version. You won't find a 111 build on beta forums over there ;)

13. JasSolo

But it do excists. Look here

2.jpg

Cheers

14. Bunkhouse Buck

That looks like the log for 2008 NIS- not the NIS 2009 beta which is not available at the beta forum. Provide the link so we can verify that it is indeed 111.

Cheers.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What do you feel NIS 2009 should do that it doesn't?

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

should just do the basics firewall, anti virus, spyware, it tries to be much more. You can't build in things to keep people from doing crazy things or going where they shouldn't. All they do is keep the basics from working correctly...

17. JasSolo

Buck,

I can't give you the direct link, because it's to my personal login. If you're invited as beta tester for symantec, you would have your personal login as well. I remember you stated in another thread, that you wasn't invited this year, do I remember correct? Anyways NIS 2008 is version 15. As shown from the attachment in my previous post, you can see that it's version 16, ergo NIS 2009 BETA.

Cheers

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Not a problem and thank you for the information. They don't like me to beta test, I am too rational and critical. :D

19. JasSolo

I'll buy that for a dollar :thumb: :D

Cheers

20. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

It seems most of the NAB functionality has been integrated into the new SONAR used in Norton 2009.

See: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_pb&message.id=62

Is mentioned there that :

21. CountryGuy

I know I keep bringing up 64 bit, but I know I'm not the only one using it. I just found out yesterday on their forums that SONAR (and this new technology) WON'T be available for 64 bit Vista systems. That makes the context scan issue pale in comparison.

Just my opinion alone, but this doesn't appear to be designed for Vista64.

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

This is the reason I have moved on from Norton. I don't understand why their 64 bit version lacks features from it's 32 bit cousin. My OneCare x64 desktop has all the features of my OC x86 laptop (just like your Kaspersky and others). I guess they need to hire some x64 coders, lol.

23. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

They don't understand how x64 Windows works, end of story. They can't even make a friggin' context scan menu working since they totally fail to understand that 32bit shellexts won't work on x64 OS. Same issue w/ their $$$ Endpoint Security product, the context menu left aside, at least one third of features is missing on x64.

:thumbd: Symantec :thumbd:

24. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

With the recent upswing in vista 64-bit installs, especially on new systems being sold this kind of thing is not going to be excusable much longer at all.

Also I see that some zonealarm products are the same way (Forcefield and others I'm looking at you).

25. CountryGuy

The context scan made me raise an eyebrow, but as I had a decent workaround for that I lived with it. Not including a major component of the protection? That makes me worry what else may not be working right on a 64 bit platform that we just don't know about yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.