Do I need Anti Spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cdysthe, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Well, I use Opera and have never needed another browser. I also happen to know that Opera Software uses NOD32 as their corporate AV... :)

My main concern is having to run a lot of stuff that slows down my computer, so I was hoping that running NOD32 with some on demand spyware scan once a week would be enough. I have to add that I have a feeling that NOD32 3.x is more of a resource hog than 2.x was which makes it even more appealing not having to run other stuff in addition to it.

This thread has taught me about the sandbox approach. I really like that one and have spent time now setting up Sandboxie.

I also use the built in full PC backup (disk image) in Vista Ultimate. I have restored from it a couple of times and it's really fast and works perfectly. Actually, it's much faster than Acronis True Image which I also have on my computer.

So I guess I'm down to pick one on demand anti spyware scanner.

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Very interesting. I use Ewido as an on demand scanner as and when.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

See PC World article Are You Wasting Your Money Buying Antispyware Software?

For detection of spyware by signature, the heavyweights in detection are actually the antivirus programs. For the detection of spyware by behavior, antispyware programs that do this might be useful, unless you're using a HIPS program or other abnormal behavior detection program that covers the same behavior areas.

I have recently uninstalled all dedicated antispyware programs, and instead use 3 good AV programs, including one realtime. My HIPS covers most of the behavioral areas that the antispyware programs I'm familiar with covered.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you have a real shield blocker that blocks spyware in real time you are safe without any spyware scaner;) well some times you could scan pc on deman.:D

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Mr. Larkin needs to get out more often :blink: :ouch:

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

This link shows on-demand detection rates of spyware and adware by various antivirus programs on 83,054 samples. Compare those rates with the 38 percent on-demand detection rate of Spyware Doctor 5.0, for example, as cited in my last post.

7. cdysthe

Doesn't all the protection you have running slow you down? I even think NOD32 3.x slows me down. I now have Sandboxie installed and run all my Internet connected apps sandboxed. That should keep me out of trouble, shouldn't it?

You say: "using good imaging software (and handling that correctly)", what do you mean by "handling that correctly"? I have used Acronis and now Windows Vista's built in disk imaging capabilities (which is faster) to create images I have used not when infected, but when I mess up my system (I work for a software company and have to run all kinds of stuff). As far as I know there's only one way to use it: make an image, and restore if needed. I store the images on a USB drive.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I don't know much about imaging software, so I can't say much about that. But ANY approach can go foul if you don't do things properly.

My antispyware programs don't slow me down at all, aside from the annoying amount of time Counterspy has been taking recently to merge definition files.

My antivirus is a real resource hog :(

Sandboxie probably has some vulnerabilities, probably worth checking out.

My approach has generally been 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'.

9. cdysthe

My approach has been "if it still ain't broken make sure it doesn't break" :)

Thank you for your advice.

10. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

The number of processes running and the system load imposed by those processes is an important consideration - but that importance fades as system processing power increases.

I'll guess that most here at Wilders have more processing power than my system, which is based on a dual-core AMD processor at 3MHz. I have no problems running full-time resident AS, AV, Firewall/HIPS while running demanding games such as Crysis, surfing, etc.

The protection provided by full-time AV and AS apps may be illusory, but I 'feel safer' and experience no perceptible loss in performance - so why not?

11. cdysthe

I do everything on a Intel Dual Core 1.8 mhz laptop. I never use a desktop computer. I do not even have one (although there's several of those in my house). On top I run browsers, Office and a trading platform, so stability is almost more important than security, but it feels good being able to run my trading platform sandboxed.

I've found that more your run the more likely things go wrong. It's may not be anything wrong with each of the programs I run, but when you put them all together the likelihood of having problems increases.

Finally, I have to admit that I kind of miss the AV I was using before my company went for NOD32. I was using Avira's security suite which is the most unobtrusive AV/Firewall I have ever run.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Talking about the number of processes: ( I have Windows XP service pack 2, firewall, antivirus, Counterspy, Spy Sweeper (version without antivirus)):

The amount of processes in memory I detect when running a Counterspy scan is about 1500, Spy Sweeper gives a number of about 1600 'objects'.

That's a lot. When I'm not running some special software, I don't even have anything like MS Office on my computer.

How many do you get ? I just think 1500 or 1600 is a lot. But I surf the internet at light-speed on a few years old computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.