What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

The extension Firekeeper has already been mentioned in this thread. It's an Intrusion Detection and Prevention System for Firefox that detects a lot of attacks (including XSS attacks).

I'm aware of the following blocklists (which are regularly updated) that can be used in Firekeeper:Just copy the URL of the respective list, go to Preferences in Firekeeper, click "Add remote file" and paste the URL therein. It takes some seconds until the list is loaded. Click "enable".

Firekeeper versions for Windows and Linux are available on http://firekeeper.mozdev.org/installation.html . You will have to add that site to the list of sites in Firefox which are allowed to install extensions. (Note: On a Linux machine you will probably get an update to Firekeeper version 0.3.1 after a while).

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

tlu,

Does running Firefox with NoScript accomplish some of what Firekeeper is trying to accomplish? This is assuming that you block lists globally and only allow some sites to run scripts.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, I agree. On the other hand Firekeeper might be able to warn you if a site contains malware/is manipulated particularly if it is whitelisted in Noscript. Thus it may provide an additional layer of protection. I doubt that there is an advantage if the site is already blacklisted in Noscript. But even in these cases a warning might give you a hint that this site is suspicious.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Some addtional info for users planning to run Firekeeper: I had no problems to run it under Windows and Firefox 3.0 but got an error "Firekeeper load failed component @firekeeper.mozdev.org/firekeeper not registered ..." with FF 3 on Ubuntu 8.04. I contacted the author of Firekeeper, Jan Wrobel, and got the following info:

This solved my problem, indeed.:)

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

These are some privacy/security addons I like, but some I do not use as it is not compatible with Firefox 3:

McAfee SiteAdvisor
    Finjan SecureBrowsing
    WOT
    Netcraft toolbar
    Dr.Web anti-virus link checker
    NoScript
    Adblock Plus
    CustomizeGoogle
    CookieSafe/CS Lite
    RefControl
    SafeCache
    SafeHistory
    TrackMeNot
    Stealther
    TabRenamizer
    MediaPlayerConnectivity

Some of these addons I was only aware of after Cogito posted this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213988 :thumb:

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Track me not seems to be a poor addon. It is not very hard to figure out the difference between real and generated requests.

7. Someone

Hi

Really? How do you figure it out? It looks quite realistic to me.

Thanks

8. tlu

tlu Guest

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

WikiLook
    Addons
    Works great, very fast. :thumb:

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Alternatives for Unplug? :'(
    I got Youplayer, which is good, but it's not the same thing.

11. Someone

Hi

What about VideoDownloadHelper?

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you.
    It didn't work for me last i tried. Do you have experiences with it?
    I looked at the website, and it has a "feature" to find an alternative tool. It suggests a commercial program. No warm fuzzy feelings there.

I'm looking for someone's suggestion, based on what works for them.

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

This is my favourite thread here at wilders :)

Thanks Pedro. Perfect for someone like me who doesnt have english as my native language. There are always some word that I dont know and this little app makes it so easy.

Damn Firefox! I am a curious person and like to try new stuff but it is impossible to try to find the will to try other browsers when you can do everything with Firefox :)

I find it very slow and boring to surf without Firegestures.
    For example when you read a page with many interesting links, just hold right mouse button and make a move (you can customize what gesture you want, I have move right) over the links and they open in new tabs in bakground for later viewing. Perfect if you´re viewing a page with many thumbnails and want to see the full picture of them all, just load them in the bakground. You can connect many functions in the browser to a gesture. If the default actions are not enough and If youre into making scripts you can do everything with gestures. It takes a short while to remember all the gestures you´ve made for different tasks, but once you learnt that it is really hard to be with out them, very addictive.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Believe me, i agree with you. I was tired of opening a tab to look for a definition.
    I won't use it all the time, but when i need it, it's 2 seconds.

It's a keeper!

15. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Over time, I have been slowly divesting myself of extensions and plug-ins. Several went by the wayside when I went to FireFox 3; several more shortly thereafter. Not doing this for performance reasons; I had no problems running a dozen extensions, just decided that if I did not use or need the function that I did not need the extension, either.

FireFTP was not ready with FF3, so I went with FileZilla (and like it better).
    Sage was replaced with the free version of FeedGhost.
    MinimizeToTray was just dropped.
    TabMixPlus ran the DEV build for awhile but has since been just dropped as well.

The only extensions remaining are these.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

Very nice, Pedro! Thank you!

17. Someone

Hi

I've tried it with several YouTube files and it works. I haven't used it for anything else.

18. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

If you are using GnuPG, firegpg is good to have,and its compatable with gmail to. very saves me lots of time

http://getfiregpg.org/

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Perhaps its a GNU/Linux incompatibility.

I chose Fast Video Download for now. It will get the video's name and ask to save it with that name. Good :)
    That little detail is actually better than in Unplug, but i don't know if it can work with as many sites. Unplug seemed to work with some generic method.

20. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Works on Pardus & Ubuntu firefox too, last I tried. On it's default setting (60,000ms), the download option is only available for 60s when the flash movie is started.

Is it possible u looked to download the flash movie after 60s passed?

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's possible.

22. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Brief
    This one is very good. Now to decide between this and Liferea.
    In browser or separate program.

BTW, one can make Unplug compatible (sort of) by editing the maxVersion in install.rdf of the xpi package, or using the MR Tech Toolkit.
    It doesn't solve any problem, it only makes Firefox accept it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  24. tlu

tlu Guest

There is a relatively new list available for Adblock Plus that blocks more than 40,000 malicious websites! The list is compiled and updated by http://malwaredomains.com/ .

Two important remarks:
    1. The list won't prevent you from going to one of these blocked sites - "but it will block for example any iframes or Flash objects from this domain" (quote ABP author Wladimir Palant).
    2. According to this site, do not subscribe to this list with Firefox 2! It will only be sufficiently fast in Firefox 3, and even then you have to accept 3-4 seconds delay at browser startup and shutdown. It won’t cause noticeable delays during browsing however.

25. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Malware Search 0.8.0

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.