McAfee's newest version. How is it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jadda, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

100 actual samples from the 20th century or 2008? Why should mcafee bother with inactive samples? If you're telling me to research faster then those researchers at mcafee and other companies, forget it.

CG

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

McAfee has a couple of beta programs going on now: McAfee Total Protection and Personal Vault. I tried the TP Beta for a couple of days but didn't see any difference from the Internet Suite I used. I don't know if this is based on this new engine being discussed or not.

McAfee has come a long way from the last time I used it (2004) and it has a lot less impact on perfromance than back then. If I wasn't using OC I would be using McAfee. They both have the same "feel" on my computers. I chose OC for the printer sharing and a little higher detection.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the enterprise versions are pretty decent.
    light on resourses lets hope this new technology will help to imrprove the detection rate.

4. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I'm not a special man and I really can get samples and send to F-Secure weeks or months before Mcafee adds it to database... Probably my mother that understands nothing about computer can find the samples before Mcafee too... About 10% of new samples that I found (or receive in mail e-mail) are detected by Mcafee... I'm not talking about inactive samples... I won't discuss it about it anymore... Anyone can use the AV wants and anyone can say any AV is good or not... If other can try it or not is not my or your problem.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I also was able to get a hold of a copy of Enterprise 8.5i from my SysAdmin at work and used it for few days. It is light and has a lot of options. Since I am wanting a less "tinkerable" solution it wasn't for me.

Perman's description of 8.5i in another thread--"you will hug it days and nights"--got me curious about it. I haven't heard anyone describe software like that before, lol.

6. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Yeah, that can happen, but there are cases when mcafee gets things before F-secure.
    And also, siteadvisor shows you other peoples reviews and mostly gets it right (for me) so you won't visit the site anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.