McAfee's newest version. How is it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jadda, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Hi.

I had McAfee on my computer before, but that is like 2 years ago, but it used to much resources. It was to heavy for my system. I really liked McAfee, the GUI, the detection and so on. The only thing that bothered me was how much resources it used.

How is this with the newest version? The same? Better?

Thank you.

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Looks improved a little bit, but it's detection hasn't changed much. The same crap.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There was a new technology coming with very good detection. What about that?

4. emperordarius

New technology? Lies. It's malware detection is mediocre, like before. In my malware tests, after infecting my USB flash with a worm (let me think....I think it was E-mail worm.brontok.q according to kaspersky), McAfee, fully updated, didn't find the worm either by scanning or executing. And think that the worm has been detected by most companies in 2006. It found around 90% of my malware samples (for me that's not really good, ), and had some false positives with heuristic detection, which overall wasn't very bad.Then, in my spyware tests, it found like 60% of malware, and that's good enough for an antivirus app. Adding that updates happen like just once a day, and sometimes cannot even remove of what it finds or leaves registry items behind, well, I just think that this product sucks.

5. 337

337 Registered Member

6. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

well maybe he has PRE-BETA newest product from McAfee ?

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Somebody can (and will) correct me if I'm wrong, but this is absurd.

Unless you are like IBK and have a nice testbed with many samples and a decent testing methodology, what you have stated is a whole lot of nothing.

If you are a known commodity in the AV testing world, I apologize in advance.

-FTP

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

McAfee is also woking on an update to their enterprise product to be called 8.7.

9. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

the "new mcafee" on the test of av-comparatives have 99.6%

the all report is not avaliable yet.but the information is on report of february 2007 test

10. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Source: av-comparatives

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  11. emperordarius

I was able to test only it's command line engine.

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thank you for your answers all. I see that the new technology looks promising. But it's not that I am worried about. It's how much reasouces it uses. So I took me my freedom and installing a trial, and it was quite good. At least lighter than previous versions. Still, not as light as Avast (for instance). But I wasn't expecting that either. So I was really pleased.

Thank you.

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Haven't had any problems with the enterprise edition. Haven't had any problems of it removing the brontok worm in all instances I've seen it.

Whether you like it or not, it's a reliable product. Companies with billions of dollars worth of infrastructure don't rely on it just cause it's popular, it does what it says.

Let us know how it goes in the next week or two Jadda.

14. emperordarius

The best way to judge. Jadda, take a virtual machine, fill it up with malware, try McAfee.

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

The engine deals with malware not the money.I still have a subsciption for virus scan plus,which i got it for free,but don't use it anymore.I will try the final release ,but the actual one IMO is average ,behind many products,especially when it comes to prevention.

16. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

The GUI has changed much, and resources have very much improved, you can get a 1 year subscription on natwest so you can try.
    It barely effects my computer, and just to let you know, other anti-malware software like Bo-clean and stuff sometimes stops mcafee updating and can make your computer slow at times, not always. Also, make sure you don't have any other HIPS on, as I think systemguards will do, and same applies for AS and AV, and search your registry too.
    After that if nothing goes well, try the clean up tool and I check everything, it cleans at least 2GB's for me every week.

17. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Thank you.

I tried the trial, and yes, it has improved alot since I tested it last time. Thanks for all the tips.

But I can find it on "Natwest latest deals", so if you don't have another link, it just have to be. It looks like they have removed the deal.

Thanks. :)

18. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Hi computer geek, do you have any screenies of it by any chance? Could be fun to see how it looks like now.

Cheers

19. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Agree. Mcafee detection is ridiculous... Only good marketing...

20. computer geek

And proving it not with some whacko mag review is the next step ;)

21. computer geek

Then you can get one at AOL.

22. computer geek

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1041322
    The GUI hasn't changed since 2007, but only the splashscreen has.
    The link shows the basic menu, but you can get an advanced menu, but it don't change the GUI much so there is no point in me uploading the files.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't registered the time the shots were taken. :'(

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a general observation here, comments regarding the performance of virtually any AV tend to be so hyperbole driven positive or negative that they are virtually self-discrediting.

Mainline AV's don't proactively rescue you from the clutches of incarnate horror, nor is their detection performance "ridiculous" or "crap", unless your definition of those terms is rather different than what's universally accepted.

What's really ridiculous and crap is the back and forth posturing that goes absolutely no where.

McAfee's detection is fine, as is it's overall performance. There are better performing products, there are worse performing products - at least according to the metrics that I employ and detection is only one part of those metrics.

McAfee probably handles some threats that "better" ones miss, and probably misses some that "inferior" products handle. That actually defines virtually all products in the market category by the way.

Blue

24. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Well... You can get 100 actual samples and scan with Mcafee. After it tell me the results...

I get samples every day to send to F-Secure Labs and I usually install other softwares to test the same samples... I can't prove it to you but it's not my work... You can use MCafee in your computer and I can come here and say this AV has very poor detection... If anyone wants to prove it I recommend to get samples and test it and other AVs...

I don't believe in Mcafee protection.

25. emperordarius

For me, Crap means:

CRAP= Certainly Revolutionary Absurd Program :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.