Is just Norton AntiBot enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by petersteiner, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

Howdy!

What's your opinion on Norton AntiBot? Is it secure enough to use this instead of a traditional AV? Norton AntiBot scored real good in the test of the German magazine "Chip". I'm currently using the trial and am very satisfied with the ultralow resource usage. My system is WinXP SP3 and I use IE7.

I never had a virus since I'm online (1997), nor did an AV stop one.

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

IMHO AntiBot is not enough, nor does Norton intend it to be a replacement for an antivirus scanner. It monitors for specific behaviours and will not be able to flag a lot of other malicious files.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Norton AntiBot is a rebranded Primary Response Safe Connect from Sana Security. Either one a good addition to an AV, not a replacement, IMO.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If that's the case then you obviously know what to avoid online.. Just the same, Antibot isn't really meant to replace an AV, just to supplement it.

5. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

it's just because Chip.de seems to be Symantec's new marketing division. :rolleyes:

Misleading the audience with "test" results like:
    100% detection rate, zero false positives, new superweapon against malware...
    Deceptive advertising, embarrassing and they forgot to include ThreatFire in their test.

This is nothing against PRSC/Antibot, which is a decent behavior blocker.

Cheers

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

My understanding is Anti-Bot is from Sana. I have not seen any tests of behavioral detection products against traditional AV's, but have seen comments that their detection rates are about 20%. None the less, they are a valuable addition to traditional AV's. No publisher of any of these products is representing that they are a substitute for a signature based AV.

My experience with the proactive detection module of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 (essentially Anti-Bot) and Threatfire indicate that both incur substantial system overhead.

7. petersteiner

The only thing I ever had was the worm where you see a window popping up that the computer reboots in 15 seconds or so. But that was years ago.

I think I'll go with NAB for now and do the odd system scan with Kaspersky or NOD online scanners. 30 Euro seems a bit much for the program though.

8. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

as you like, but I would at least give ThreatFire Free a try.
    It very similar to Antibot and a german version is available too.

Cheers

9. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello petersteiner,

Provided that you have hardened(tightened-up) both WinXP SP3's and IE7's(the use of either Opera with three specific User JavaScript files[https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1207602&postcount=6] or FireFox with NoScript would be the most secure options) security configuration settings, keep your system and 3rd-party plug-ins patched and use the Windows firewall, I don't see why you can't run Norton AntiBot(NAB) or Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) in place of an antivirus scanner.

While I normally, as a matter of practice, pair NAB/PRSC with DefenseWall(policy restriction sandbox) alongside the Windows firewall[http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71660&st=0&p=202834&#entry202834; *Note: Post #3] and [http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71660&st=15&p=203582&#entry203582; *Note: Post#25] without an antivirus scanner and implement some system and browser hardening, I decided to install the following set-up on a friend's computer(WinXP SP2) approximately 4-6 mos. ago: F-Prot 6, PRSC and LinkScanner Pro(LSP). Recently, I paid a visit to this friend to perform some maintenance, updates and malware scans on her computer. Unexpectedly, to my surprise, I found that the F-Prot antivirus was uninstalled. FYI, this friend and the users of her computer have knowledge and experience that are below that of a novice, download and install a lot of programs, visit questionable web sites and play online games. On a positive note, despite the lack of an antivirus and risky user habits, I found no malware of consequence as both PRSC(quarantining) and LSP(blocking exploit targeted malware and drive-by downloads) did their job.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

It is. :)

I'm just using anti-bot at this time cause my computer got a little bit buggy and started crashing ever since I tried moonsecure, but I find it really light, and yeah, it will not stop all, but I don't mind a couple of adware.

11. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I tried antibot against a couple of samples, seemed to fare well against the IRCbot and zlob that I tried to throw, but as I was expecting it isn't much use against file infector "viruses", but it isn't meant as an AV replacement so I still appreciate the technology behind it :)

12. CogitoErgoSum

Hello petersteiner,

Here are links to my most recent tests of PRSC.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1174803&postcount=26
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1176147&postcount=32
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1195237&postcount=34

While not perfect, PRSC has detected most of the select malware samples that I have thrown against it to date. I consider it to be a fairly competent behavioral anti-malware program that employs the use of intelligent heuristics and has little or no false positives. Since 2Q of 2007, I continue to use PRSC and recommend it to and install it on both family and friends computers.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Norton doesnt want it to evolve to far or the need for their AV would go bye-bye.

14. petersteiner

@ CogitoErgoSum

Thanks for the links. I will stick to NAB till the trial runs out (10 days) and then install the PRSC trial. It's probably better to get the original than NAB. Cost is about the same.

I'm really confident this is secure enough for me. I'm quite a low-risk surfer and am inside a NAT (surfing over 3G mobile net). All components are always up-to-date, don't have any warez, don't do filesharing, only mainstream programs.

15. CogitoErgoSum

Hello petersteiner,

You are very welcome. Just doing my modest part to help a fellow NAB/PRSC user.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,pal:

If you like to extend NAB trial, I may be able to assist you.

I have a partially used ( 250 + days left) NAB key, for you free, PM me if fits into your plan.

17. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Anyone else who wants a key let me know as well via PM. I have one I got on a German Website and it works fine. NAB was a little heavy for my 4 year old PC, but other than that it ran well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.