Prosecurity website???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Atomas31, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

2. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

3. Atomas31

Salut MaB69,

Thanks for your testing ;-) Not very reassuring...

Regards,
    Atomas31

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

As far i can catch up it is not an Ad Muncher FP, AND the domain is indeed expired.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Who-is info...

So... perhaps Jei is changing hosts. Or maybe he didn't pay the bills for current hosting arrangement. Or perhaps he has retired, or is on a sabbatical. Or he may have (wisely) decided that having a support forum gives adverse publicity if he is uninclined or unable to actively respond to posts thereon. Or... none of the above.

Having foreseen the likely demise of PS, I have been seeking a replacement for PS for several days now. So far, Safe'N'Secure looks to be head & shoulders above all the other HIPS I have trialed. It has everything the others have -- everything! -- plus it appears to have an optional-use sandbox of sorts. Moreover, they have confidence in their product as manifested by having voluntarily obtained two reviews by AV-comparatives.

I know of no other HIPS that has voluntaily submitted themselves so boldly to testing. However -- if I am mistaken -- I eagerly look forward to someone correcting me -- but with facts, please, moreso than with mere anecdotal comments. ;)

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

All ow to to suggest EQSure 4 (beta) to you. I don't know how any HIPS can be better than this, because it allows the user to create the rules it uses. As is the vase with a rule-based firewall, EQS 4 is only as good as the ruleset. Version does has a sandbox. Of course, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, pal:

You are perhaps right about its English web site,,but......

Its Chinese Official site is very much business as usual, which is hosted by Chinese-equivalent Wilders-- Kafan.. You need literacy of Chinese in order to gain information effectively. The site is very active.

8. bellgamin

Anecdotal comments. Please be specific. S'N'S also allows rule creation, but additionally works great right out of the box, and has white/black-list capability & sandbox available, if desired. EQS lacks those extra protective features.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Jei is always good for a surprise, regrettably most of the time unpleasant ones for his customers.

Call it self-destruction of a talented developer, because there is no doubt he have talent and skills. But like always the case with him, Jei have an irresponsible lack of commercial sense.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

IMHO that seems an over-reaction in that most HIPs (like firewalls) don't require constant updating / development.
    Nevertheless, I (as a registered user) am disappointed to see yet another one bite the dust.
    I do not see the efficacy of PS quickly diminishing such that I need to scramble to find a replacement.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The problem with EQS is that the GUI is very small and the user cannot enlarge it and the font size is tiny. I can barely read it. That I can endure if it is a program that I seldom interact with. But a HIPS that requires lots of interaction because I have to make the rules...well I need to be to see it better. The logs are particularly bad. The font choice is horrible...it should be Verdana for easy reading and in the logs the color is turquoise! I can't see that at all as there is greatly insufficient contrast on a flat panel LCD. My monitor is a 19" that retailed at $760 and was rated by PCWorld and Consumer Reports tests the year I bought it as the best 19" flat panel LCD on the market. So, the problem is not my monitor. Part of the problem is Microsoft's Clear Text that does not provide enough contrast (unlike Apple's Safari browser which shows black as black on LCDs).

Plus, EQS has those HORRIBLE lower right corner popups and they can't be moved to a better more visible location...anywhere would be better than lower right corner! ProcessGuard has clear black font in a larger size and it puts the popups where they should be: center of the screen. The last version (which I don't use because it was buggy), tried to put the popups only in the lower right corner. But Wayne listened to users like myself and PG was redone to allow for the popups in any corner or center screen as the user needed. So, I stay with PG partly because I can easily read PG screens and logs.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I took another look at SafenSec, but they still have that annoying activation issue. Why is it any better then SSM

13. bellgamin

Several ways better than SSM. Examples- it has file protection; SSM does not. It has available sandboxing; not SSM. It has white/black lists, if desired. Not so SSM. It has clear and up-to-date Help. SSM's is neither clear nor current.

I hope that you will give it an extensive trial, Pete. I value your comments.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Heck I used to beta test it until I couldn't get one of the newer versions to run. The activation issue was a real pain even back then. Just not sure the difference is worth it. I may take another look see.

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Bellgamin,
    Do you know if Antivir Premium with Web Guard will co-exist with Safe n Soft's product?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

16. bellgamin

@Pete- The 30-day trial requires no activation.

Contrary to what I thought, the the SnS User Manual is not current. It's for an older version of SnS. Consequently, although I remain convinced that SnS is currently *the best HIPS*, I dropped it because I couldn't figure out how to set a rule whereby it would allow my FTP program to connect. Bottom Line- I still am seeking an *eventual* replacement for ProSec.

@Hugger- Although I am running Avira Antivir Premium, I am not using WebGuard. I had issues therewith, so I am using Firefox + NoScript instead. Ergo, I'm sorry but I can't answer your question.

17. dendrobates

dendrobates Registered Member

Does anyone know if the development of the product has stopped as well now the website is gone?

Or is it just a Website/domain problem?

One thing is for sure, i just unstalled Prosecurity on one of my hips testsystems
    and the uninstaller took me to a now advertisement page.
    :rolleyes:

Where is the developer, "gone fishing with Wayne?"
    It is just an expression, i am new here ..
    :D

18. bellgamin

In my opinion, only Jei (the developer of ProSec) knows what Jei's plans are. He put out a version last Feb (just 2 months ago) so PS is FAR from being out-dated. However, I consider Jei to be an unreliable & uncommitted genius -- sort of the *Bobby Fisher* of HIPS developers.

Therefore -- even if Jei eventually re-surfaces -- I am transferring my focus to other HIPS developers. There are many other HIPS choices, involving HIGHLY committed developers. These include Online Armor and Threatfire (which I have now switched to), as well as SSM (Vitali is still very much on-the-job), and Defence+ (Comodo's baby girl), & EQSecure.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

On PS's Chinese official forum, members are having same questions too. But according to Jei's unofficial spokesperson, he is working as hard as possibly be, and will have a new one rolled out in no time.

Perhaps just my own observation, PS has a higher security guardrail (in term of its own security) than other HIPSs, why ? up to this date, there are few, perhaps non-existence, cracked PS copies around. I have seen cracked DW, SSM, SBIE, GesWall, even PowerShadow and Shadow Defender.

Hoping users' patience does not run too thin too quickly.

20. bellgamin

I hope so, too.

If you would be so kind, please post the following 2 points on the Chinese forum, in hopes that they are brought to Jei's attention...

1- Tell Jei that he has a lot of fans here at Wilders. If Jei will post here at Wilder's -- even just a couple of words -- we will be VERY happy. All he needs to post is something like, "Hello. I'm busy, so be patient."

2- It was probably a good idea to close his forum, but he still needs a website so people can try ProSecurity, and buy it if they like it.

Thanks, Perman, for keeping us informed about Jei's situation. I hope you will continue to do so. Here's a blessing for you, with warm regards from old (but bold) Bellgamin...

21. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I have no idea where hes gone or whats going on. i check into the forum from time to time to see whats what, but i noticed the other day its all gone...

22. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Another factor is Chinese sometimes refrain from cracking Chinese softwares. Actually there was a cracked PS 1.3 which was around for quite some time.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, yes I know what you are talking about.

That crack does not work on the newest version. :rolleyes:

24. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

PS website is back! :cool:

25. Atomas31

That's a good news :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.