Backup stalls

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jsm555, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhonisch

hhonisch Registered Member

What version / build of True Image do you use?
    Are you trying to do the "My Data" backup?
    Did you get any error messages when running "imagecfg"?

Try the following command in addition to "imagecfg -u ...":

imagecfg -a 0x1 TrueImageHomeService.exe​

And when you're running True Image, use Process Explorer (or Task Manager) to double-check that the TrueImageHomeService.exe process only uses one processor (launch Process Explorer, right-click on the process, "Set affinity", and make sure only one checkbox is checked.

2. pbelcl

pbelcl Registered Member

Did not work on my machine also!

my daily backup today worked ...
    so i think hhonisch has found a solution -> acronis do your homework ;-)

3. AMenge

AMenge Registered Member

TrueImage 11, german version, build 8.087 (latest release)
    Yes.
    No.
    I did this too, but without any positive effect.
    I checked it and it seems to be ok. Your idea was great and you should be happy if it's working on your machine. Poorly it's not working on my one...:(

4. radman2020

radman2020 Registered Member

I have the same problem (vista home premium... tI version 11 latest build) Stalls at 65%. Can't reset unless I reboot.

Looks like acronis support dropped out of this discussion a while back. That is a bad sign. I think it sucks that we paid for this and they aren't fixing it!!

Hey acronis, give us an update!

5. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

Yes, very frustrating. I'm a new user. Backup sometimes hangs at 39% sometimes at 45% and sometimes at 0%!! But everytime it hangs! My product is registered, but nothing is being offered as a patch/fix.

I'm using the latest build on Vista.

I thought I was buying quality, obviously - judging from the posts here - this is a real issue and it's disappointing to see Support not participating. At it is, I'm regretting my purchase because the most basic function (backup!!) is inoperative.

I look forward to a speedy resolution.

6. scruffylooking

scruffylooking Registered Member

When I purchased this software, I was not looking to become a beta tester. I already have a job and do not have the time to beta test for incomplete and buggy software.

It is unfortunate that this problem has existed for several months now without any solution whatsoever. Everytime somebody posts this complaint... Acronis response is to download the latest version. Do they honestly think that this was not the very first thing 99% of people would do anyway... download the latest version?

I am seriously disappointed in this software. As a backup solution, it is a complete failure.

7. mranybody

With regard to my post above this:

I'm using build #8053, 2007-11-07

The hang occurs during file level backups.

I'm using Vista Business on a Dell laptop. Security Suite is Kaspersky IS v7.

Downloading latest Snap drivers as this does not seem to be a solution, so i haven't done it yet.

I'll try no compression and come back to post .... but that doesn't seem to be a true fix anyway.

8. mranybody

Nope! 'No Compression' left me hanging at 0%!!

9. mranybody

Ooo, Update:

A hang on ANY type of backup. I'm now getting a Vista dialogue box telling me that TI has stopped working and will have to be close down. Very useful!

Installing new drivers is not a fix according to posts. No compression is not a fix. Reinstall is not a fix. I'm grateful others have done this work for me because I think I'd very very unkind with my words, to be honest.

This has been an issue for months now. As it is TI is taking up HD space and serves no purpose for me.

Thankfully, I am finding TI11/Vista users on this forum who say TI11 "works flawlessly"! Hum.

10. tomasin

tomasin Registered Member

:mad: Well I've rolled back to ATI 10 and its been working fine for over a month now and just sick to death of waiting on Acronis to fix this crappy ATI 11. Someone should be shot! As many have said its just beyond frustration how buggy Acronis 11 is. Funny how I never heard back from Acronis when I asked for my money back! I'm going to stick to ATI10 for now and when it comes to upgrading my software here at home or that of our servers at the office, Acronis will be nowhere on the list of applications to consider. :thumbd:

11. PMJ

PMJ Registered Member

I would suggest that in addition to posting here, you open a problem ticket from the Acronis website. At least that will cause "some" action on their part.

I did it and submitted a bunch of trace files they requested. I still haven't heard back, it's been about a week since I sent the stuff.

I would also hope that someone in Acronis allows users with this problem to "downgrade" to TI10 until they fix this problem. They can do so by providing us with a download location and a product installation key.

...Peter

12. SHP

SHP Registered Member

I agree that Acronis needs to do right by those of us who purchased TI 11. I like the idea of providing us a way to use version 10 until they can fix the bugs.

I really want to like this program. It's an integral part of my overall data security plan. Although I've found "work-arounds" for some of the various problems, that is not an acceptable long-term solution.

13. Haeckli

Haeckli Registered Member

Here is the stall solution ...

Hi folks,

after following this thread for some time I have to accept that Acronis will not provide a fix in the near future. Anyway since I have purchased this software I finally want to use it and I finally want to feel comfortable on my data security.

So I started digging into the problem by myself .... and here are my findings:

The "stall"-problem seems to be connected to MultiCore processors (I have a DualCore). TrueImage uses both of my CPUs but I have no exact idea how it shares them. Using a number of different tools I get the impression that one CPU is doing read/write (disk-I/O) and the other is doing compression/decomprerssion. Obviously under uncertain conditions both processes or threads loose their synchronization which results in one of the two processes to hang. And this is what we all see.... :thumbd:

The same Version of TrueImage runs well on SingleCore processors. Just out of curiosity I disabled one of my CPUs - et voila: everything is fine! A little slower - but the backup is just working. :thumb:

Knowing all this the question is how to keep both CPUs enabled and just run TrueImage in a SingleCPU-mode o_O After some more hours of research I found the following solution:

The backup task itself is the program TrueImageHomeService.exe Whenever a backup is started (either manually or scheduled) this program is run as a child-process of the windows service Acronis Scheduler2 Service. This service is automatically launched on every system boot.

The following is a description on how to automatically launch the service in a SingleCPU mode. This fix is tested on Windows XP Home but I would assume that it also works on other Windows versions:

• Make sure that the latest version of TrueImage Home (TI) is properly installed. The following changes are permanent as long as you don't reinstall TI
    • Make a system backup. Yes, I know your backup is not working but I recommend it anyway.
    • Make sure that you are familiar with REGEDIT and that you exactly know what you will be doing next...
    • Download this little free program: RunFirst
    • Open the ZIP-file and extract RunFirst.Exe to C:\
    • Open RegEdit (C:\Windows\Regedit.Exe) and locate the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AcrSch2Svc\ImagePath
      This key will read like "C:\...xxx...\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe" .
      ...xxx... varies on the language of your Windows version; just leave it unchanged (In my German version ...xxx... stands for "Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien" in english versions it will be "Programs\Common Files".
      Change ImagePath to "C:\RunFirst.Exe" "C:\...xxx...\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe"
      Be careful to include all the quotes (") and spaces as highlighted.
    • Close Regedit
    • Reboot
    • Make a backup and enjoy... :)
    Ooof - lot of stuff. But at the end I hope its worth it. I would love to have your feedback if the solution works for you as well. So far I have only verified on my own system. So: NO WARRANTY :cautious:

Regards and good luck to all of you
    Haeckli

14. acim

acim Registered Member

That superb hint works well for me. I am using XP Pro... Had a lot of 'talk between' with Acronis and finally they did say an update was on its way. Still waiting for that after nearly two months? Why are they doing nothing?:doubt: Thanks a lot for this clever solution Haeckli! :D
    Regards

15. osoposo

osoposo Registered Member

I've sent 2 reports on this problem and have not had a response in over a week.

I have the problem and I'm not using a dual core proc.

16. radman2020

radman2020 Registered Member

I am using the dual core.. I got around the problem by not using compression. They wrote to me and told me it is fixed in version 12 which will be coming out soon and they will give me that version....

17. acim

acim Registered Member

I was told there is an update on its way, NOT a new version. What kind of policy would that be? Forced buying a new version to 'solve' problems with a previous one? I was definitely not told I should get version 12 instead.... Using no compression is NO solution to the problem, it is just some stunt, a trick. Haeckly's solution is the only one at this moment to get full use of TI11.
    Regards

18. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Updates might be frequent or as has been the case with ATI11, rare. Acronis usually comes ut with a new version about once per year. New builds issued between new versions are always free to registered users.

19. bubbatex

bubbatex Registered Member

Gez, what a bonehead move on my part - I bought TI 11 today at Frys because it was on sale and has a rebate. Now I know why. They should just give it away. I get stuck at 38%. And no, I don't really think I should have to disable one of my processors to run this program!

20. bytedisk

bytedisk Registered Member

I have been watching this thread and waiting for Acronis to respond appropriately to this problem. I do not understand how third parties can develop fixes while Acronis sits on its hands. Why not engender some goodwill and refund our hard earned dollars. Is it any wonder that people pirate software. In this case they would at least get what they paid for. Wake up Acronis.

21. BarryR

BarryR Registered Member

Re: Here is the stall solution ...

Thanks Haeckli! This took about 2 minutes to do and worked perfectly. Too bad I can't take advantage of my Dual Core (AMD) system. I don't understand why you were able to accomplish whereas Acronis support failed. Perhaps it's hard for them to implement a fix in a polished way, but couldn't they have added a preference option to run the program single core until a more thorough fix is available?

Would love to hear from customer / tech support as to their plan because, as it is I have a brand new TI11 product and am deciding whether to return it to Newegg since it basically doesn't work without the above modification.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  22. feistyfetus

feistyfetus Registered Member

Experiencing the same problem as those above. It was working well until about 2 weeks ago. ATI Echo Enterprise (8076, Backup Server, Remote Agent, ) on Server 2003 x64. I get stalls or ridiculous time estimates (5 days??). It is less than 100GB going to a directly attached 1394 hard drive.
    I've tried installing the latest Acronis driver.
    I've tried setting schedul2.exe to 1 processor affinity.
    I've tried recreating jobs.
    I've tried with and without compression.
    I've tried with and without VSS.
    I've tried reinstalling Acronis softwares.
    What else can I try?

BTW, I have 2 other server that have remote agents installed. They backup over the network (one is 100mbit, the other 1000mbit) to the 1394 external drive attached to the 2003 x64 server without any problems.

23. Haeckli

Haeckli Registered Member

Re: Here is the stall solution ...

Hi folks,

just to make clear: the desribed procedure ONLY limits Acronis TI to use Single-Core. All other applications, drivers, services and the system itself remain using any core.

Especially using max. compression the backup-time is significantly increased, but since I run automated tasks overnight - I don't care...

Regards
    Haeckli

24. SmellyCat

SmellyCat Registered Member

It has been months now that I have been waiting for an update so I can backup with compression on.

But I see there is still no update!!!!
    I think it is unacceptable that I purchase a product where I can not use the most basic functionality.
    When will this be fixed?

25. BeachNut

BeachNut Registered Member

Doesn't work on quad cores ?

So does all this mean that the problem is because TI 11 doesn't support quad-core processors ? I'm on the latest build with a quad and have the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.