True Image 11/Exclude files/Image Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sparqman, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparqman

sparqman Registered Member

I am a TI 9 owner. Downloaded TI11 to try out the new exclude files/folder feature during image backup. Dialog to do exclusion never appears. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Why fight it at this point when 11 is known to have such serious probs? Save our time and avoid frustration and wait for a fixed buld of 11.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sparqman and Shieber,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software

We'd like to inform you that generally the Source File Exclusion Window does appear right after you choose the partition/disk you want to save to the backup archive. You can see these screenshots as an example.

screen1.PNG screen2.PNG

If you still can't get this window to appear, please feel free to submit a request for technical support with mentioning what operating system you are using. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

4. jrhowell

jrhowell Registered Member

I downloaded TI 11.0 (8027) and installed it as a trial on two PCs, one running Windows XP MCE and one with Windows Vista Ultimate. I was hoping that I could use this program to make image backups that exclude about 100GB of files on my hard drive that are already backup up by other means and so produce a small restore image for use in an emergency.

On both PCs when I select a backup of My Computer, Disks and partitions, and select Next it goes immediately to the Backup Archive Location screen instead of the Source Files Exclusion screen. This seems to be the same problem reported by sparqman at the top of this thread.

Has anyone gotten this to work in 8027?

If so are there any tips on how I might do it?

Also, does anyone know if the exclusion work on paths, such as C:\User\xxx\Music\* to exclude an entire directory tree?

Thanks

5. markusx1a

markusx1a Registered Member

I just tried this a few different ways and got the exclusion screen each time. Mine is paid for version, dunno if that is the difference, as it shouldn't be.

Uninstall/reinstall?

-Markus

6. jrhowell

jrhowell Registered Member

I went ahead and bought TI 11 and found that the paid version does have the exclusion screen. It is simply missing from the trial version.

The feature seems to work for me, but I noticed that the My Computer, Disks and partitions backup doesn't make use of the default exclusions. It appears that you have to re-enter image backup exclusions whenever you do this type of backup. This is annoying, but better than nothing.

7. sparqman

sparqman Registered Member

Sorry I haven't got back here earlier.

Thanks jrhowell! That's what I figured it was. With the message from tech support in this thread it doesn't look like they knew it either. My trial is up tomorrow so I guess I will go ahead and upgrade. I really need the exclusion feature.

Thanks.

8. randman

randman Registered Member

I have the same question. Does the "Source Files Exclusion" window only allow you to add file-specific criteria (such as extension information like *.tmp) or does it actually allow you to exclude whole directorie trees such as C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\My Documents? In the past, whenever I get a new PC, the first thing I do is to put My Documents in another partition in order to keep my OS partition's image backup small and since I backup My Documents using the traditional (non-image) backup method.

Also, if it were possible to exclude an entire directory tree, then if you were to do an image restore, I assume that the directory trees that weren't backed up will be lost (so we would have to restore those separately)?

Thanks.

9. como

como Registered Member

When you click Add on the file exclusion window you are presented with the attached screen shot, this states File name, path, or mask and you can enter paths such as C:\Windows, I have not performed a backup using this feature to check, but the path is remembered after closing TI and opening again. However there is no browse facility, which would be useful, so you have to remember the path yourself.

Attached Files:

10. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Yes, a Browse facility would make this a REALLY useful option. How about it Acronis?
    TIA

11. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and will take them into consideration for the future versions of Acronis True Image.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. RichardS

RichardS Registered Member

Is this the same for everyone with TI11 - i.e. whatever file types you enter into Options / Source Files Exclusion are completely ignored when you do a complete partition image backup?

I just did a partition backup (over wifi) which should have taken an hour or so but it took 4 hours. The only explanation I can see is that 30GB of avi, wmv, mpg and jpg files seem to have been backed up even though these were all included as *.avi etc in the Options list.

What's the point of this Option?

Richard

13. Acronis Support

Hello RichardS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Please note there are two ways how you can exclude specified files from backup.

The first one is to go to Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options, choose "Source File Exclusions" and set the file types you want to be excluded from the backup. Please be aware that the options you'll set here will affect all the backups you create.

The second way to choose the files to exclude is to do this within Create Backup Wizard in the same screen as posted here.

So could you please clarify which of the mentioned ways you have used to exclude .avi, .wmv, .mpg and .jpg files from the backup?

Could you also clarify what is the build number of the program you are currently using? It can be found in Help -> About dialog.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

14. RichardS

RichardS Registered Member

Thanks for the response Nikita.

I'm using TI 11.0 build 8053. If I enter *.avi etc using the Create Backup wizard these file types are excluded.

However, I was hoping to be able to enter the excluded file types as a Default Option but the Default exclusions do not appear to be recognised when I do a full partition backup.

Richard

15. austriaka

austriaka Registered Member

I just did a Drive/Partition Backup excluding some folders by entering C:\Photos\*.* and it worked. I find all folders and subfolders in the backup but they are all empty.

Great :)
    (The german version doesn't mention paths here, only files and it is not in the Help file too)

16. Acronis Support

Hello RichardS,

Please notice that, as described in paragraph 5.3.2 "Source files exclusion" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide, file exclusion set in Backup Options only affects My Data backups.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. Another_User

Another_User Registered Member

The ability to exclude files and Folders from Image Backups is a feature that Acronis claims is available in ATI 11 Home.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-backup.html

New! Exclude Files and Folders from Image Backup
    Save space when creating backups by ensuring that you are not backing up the information you don’t want to keep.

The availability of this feature is critical to me and the reason I purchased your product.

I have been able to exclude file types from an image backup. For example *.ISO results in ISO image files not being included.

I have also managed to exclude folders but the syntax required is not clear to me. I've played around several times with different constructs such as \Folder, Folder, \Folder\* and I'm still not sure what works and what doesn't. Sometimes I've gotten the desired result with folders being excluded but usually they get included anyway. Attempts are time consuming due to the size of my primary partition.

As I stated, this is a key feature claimed as new in Acronis 11 and the reason I purchased your software. Please investigate this further and let us know the exact syntax for excluding folders or contact me to arrange for a refund.

I can't believe your programmers would allow the screen to show up in an image backup unless the capability existed...

18. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Would it not be more effective to create a new partition to hold whatever data you do not want to include in a specific back up?
    True image is un-surpassed in creating full partition or whole disk image backups. My own view is one should take advantage of this fact and organise one files/ data/ partitions accordingly.

Xpilot

19. Acronis Support

Hello Another_User,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that an option to exclude files and folders from image backups is available right after you choose the partition/disk you want to save to the backup archive, as shown in post #3. The "Source files exclusion" option (described in my previous post) is available via Tools -> Options menu. Please see chapter 5 "Creating backup archives" and, particularly, paragraphs 5.2.1 "My Computer backup" (point 3), 5.3 "Setting backup options" and 5.3.2 "Source files exclusion" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide for details on the subject, including wildcards usage.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.