Updating Drivers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Has anyone tried one of the programs to scan your computer for drivers that need updating? I know that I have some that need to be updated and was wondering if any of these programs are worth buying?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Not worth buying. If you have an Nvidia card to to Nvidia.com and check for the latest drivers. If you have an ATI card go to ATI.com to check for the latest drivers. So on and so forth. Best of all its free.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I agree with Dieselman.

I manually check for driver updates and download from the manufacturer's site.

4. WilliamP

Ok . I was just wondering because I had a problem with a driver and figured it would be nice to have something like Windows update to scan and fix the drivers. I have always stayed away from drivers.

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello WilliamP,

I used one the the driver sources your talking about, but only to generate a quick list of drivers needing attention. Then off to the mfg's site for the free download. Ignore the drivers for 'chipset' or motherboard, unless your specifically having issues that the mfg, can address. I got educated here & with the help of Intel regarding, the poor job these sites do when checking for drivers.

Take Care
    Rico

7. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sometimes updated drivers can give you worse results. I have downloaded new Nvidia drivers and then played a game. FPS sucks so I go back to the older drivers.

8. WilliamP

The reason I started getting involved with drivers was this. I installed a program called Sandboxie on two computers. One computer would crash when I shut down or re-booted. The mini dumps indicated that the problem was my sound card driver. I installed a new sound card and now it is fine. On the second computer after Sandboxie trying to open FireFox the system crashed. The mini dump indicated that the SATA drive controller driver was the problem. I went to Dell support and updated that driver. Now all is well.

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Would say the problem was that the drivers were corrupt,not that they needed updating.
    I go along with Dieselman and WS Fuser on the other comments.
    Also if you reinstall the drivers using the factory CD for a soundcard ,or the Microsoft CD for the sata drivers,for example,everything is OK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.